Starring: Brendan Fraser, Josh Hutcherson, Anita Briem
Directed by: Eric Brevig
Music by: Andrew Lockington
Written by: Michael Weiss, Jennifer Flackett, Mark Levin
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 28, 2008

"Same planet. Different world"

Film Synopsis:

Brendan Fraser stars in this action-packed adventure based on the Jules Vern Classic that is sure to deliver fun for the whole family! On a hunch to find the center of the earth, Trevor Anderson (Fraser), his nephew and their tour guide make a breakthrough discovery that launches them on a thrilling journey into the unknown. On a scramble to find their way back, the group travels through a never-before-seen world encountering creatures and objects never imagined.

My Take:

My 14 year old son saw this in the theater earlier this year and said it was okay but not any great shakes. I think a film like this plays to Brendan Fraser’s strengths and I like Josh Hutcherson so I looked forward to reviewing it. It appears to me that this film is aimed at a younger audience although there is no reason why it couldn’t be enjoyed by everyone. The plot is rather elementary and the dialogue (especially Fraser’s) is somewhat trite at times. In a film like this it wasn’t altogether out of place and younger viewers will probably get a kick out of it. The story’s main focus is on Fraser who portrays Professor Trevor Anderson, and his nephew Sean (Hutcherson) who embark on a journey to Iceland in search of a signal generated by a seismic monitoring device that detects unusual activity near a region where Trevor’s brother Max (and Sean’s father) disappeared 10 years earlier. Before they left they discovered Max’s copy of Jules Vern’s Journey to the center of the earth which has illustrations and notes that they cannot quite interpret but which lead them to a specific location in Iceland. Once there they meet up with Hannah who is a mountain guide. It just so happens that her father is the man whose name is scribbled in Max’s book. Hannah looks at it and informs them that her father was a “Vernian” (someone who believes that his books have factual basis) and that it appears that Max was as well. She agrees to take them to the seismic monitor’s location which is high up in a mountainous region. They hike to the location, and find the monitor but get caught in an electrical storm which drives them into a nearby cave that subsequently leads down the rabbit hole, literally.

If you put aside your thinking cap and try and look at the film as nothing more than a simple fantasy adventure I suspect that it will be more entertaining. The opening segment was poorly executed and seemed like its only purpose was to provide a fast character intro and the minor details required to send them on their way. Once they meet up with Hannah (Anita Briem) things pick up and the story becomes a bit more fun. In the end I found the movie to be mildly entertaining but not much more than that.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense adventure action and some scary moments. The scary moments are few but it might be a bit much for kids under 10.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 80

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

Journey to the center of the earth comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner/New line featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 mbps and lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 channel audio that has a constant bit rate of 640 kbps.

The video presentation was generally solid and had a pristine quality that is consistent with movies shot using high definition video cameras. Images were highly detailed with resolute sharpness and fine structure. It had a smooth, glossy quality that lacked filmic characteristics. This is the first film live action film to be shot in digital 3D and overall the results were positive. Both the 2D and 3D versions are included and switching between the two is as simple as accessing the features menu and toggling back and forth which is instantaneous. I watched both versions and preferred the 2D simply because the 3 dimensional aspects give me a headache after a while. Four pairs of 3D glasses are included in the blu-ray disc case and are the cheap cardboard type with one green and one red lens that never feel comfortable while you are wearing them. The 3D effects are abundant and were actually good enough that they made me flinch once. The opening and closing segments of the film (the ones that basically didn’t take place in the center of the earth) offered boldly vivid colors that appeared over saturated and slightly exaggerated in tonality. Skintones were washed out and lacking in complexional delineation. Once the group enters the caves and eventually the world at the center of the earth the video took on a different look. Primary colors were less vibrant and there appeared to be filtering applied that gave the video a light tan colored cast which didn’t permeate everything but was visually intrusive none the less. The majority of the sequences shot in the fantasy world were in front of green screens with the backgrounds, water, and creatures being CGI. The computer generated creatures/effects didn’t look the best and at times resembled animated objects (especially in the case of the fish and T-Rex). The mixture of live people and CGI backgrounds sometimes made images appear less resolute. This was not to a degenerative degree but it made sharpness feel less consistent. Shadow detail was very good in the darkened cave segments and black levels were respectable but not the best that I have seen. I didn’t notice any signs of video related anomalies.

Here is another Blu-ray release from Warner that does not include lossless audio support. I am not clear why they have chosen to do this but the decision in my opinion is not a good one. This soundtrack is tailor made for high resolution audio and the included 640 kbps lossy Dolby Digital track didn’t provide the definitive articulation and superior dynamic presence that lossless can. Dialogue intelligibility was never a problem and its place within the front soundstage was firm. Surround activity is abundant and quite engaging as falling debris, crashing water, and the heavy footfalls of a large prehistoric animal bear down on the listening position. Dynamic impact and low frequency detail had excellent room penetration and palpable resonance that was notable.

Bonus Features:

• Behind the story: Commentary by Brendan Fraser and Director Eric Brevig

• (HD) A world with our world: 10 Minute Documentary on historic “hollow earth” theories

• (HD) Being Josh: 6 minute segment that follows actor John Hutcherson during a typical day on the set of the film

• (HD) How to make Dino drool: 3 minute how to documentary

• Digital Copy: Bonus disc containing a standard definition version of the film that can be downloaded from a compatible PC to a portable playback device

• 2D and 3D versions of the film including 4 pairs of 3D glasses

Final Thoughts:

Journey to the center of the earth was an average action adventure film that will probably appeal more to younger viewers than die hard genre fans. I didn’t dislike it but felt that its story was somewhat simplistic and myopic. Its high definition video quality was quite good although its overall technical merits are slightly diminished by its lack of lossless audio support. Hopefully Warner sees fit to resume including high resolution audio encodings on their Blu-ray Disc releases soon. I would recommend this disc as a rental prior to purchase.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector

Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen

Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player

Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor

B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator

Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Wow, I am at a complete loss for why they would not include lossless audio on this release. Wasn't this theatrically released far after the end of the format war? I can understand some older catalogs not having lossless, but this (like Speed Racer) is completely stupefying.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Geez, my wife and I saw this (3D) in the theater and I was really looking forward to bringing it home for future viewings. Lossy audio? C'mon Warner.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello,

Could you tell me if the film is region free please ?

Thank you !

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I agree with Ralph's assessment and will be getting a review done once get all the Bond films finished. I was not real happy with the PQ here and was surprised by the washed out look and less than stellar black level. The audio? The lack of lossless here is really hard to fathom. It sounds great for a DVD but lacks the dynamics, openness and depth of a good lossless track. 7.1 lossless for Run Fatboy Run and standard DD for this film which was a box office hit. Like I said, hard to fathom.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I was planning to buy this one but with no lossless audio I will pass... I will wait until they come out with a better transfer....

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
If you are interested in the 3D version I would recommend snagging this "lossy" edition as from what I heard, Warner is NOT planning on continuing to release the 3D version, this will be a limited time edition.

As much as I hate Warner for leaving lossless tracks out of this movie and Speed Racer, I'm gonna have to whimp out and get the 3D/2D combo version while they are still in production. I HATE LOSSY!!!!!
But 3D should be good eyecandy for your home theater, especially if you have a 1080 projector with a large screen.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
If the 3D worked like it did in the theater then I would say yes. But this is a mess with the cheap cardboard red/blue glasses that don't fit! Also, the color is so screwed up with these glasses that the movie looks awful. Yes it is 3D and there are many fun 3D effects but all in all, I wouldn't watch the 3D again.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
First Warner squeezes 'Speed Racer' onto a BD-25 disc with DD and now they are releasing this movie on a BD-50 disc but again with DD. I can understand (but don't agree with) the cost savings with 'Speed' but what's the deal with 'Journey'? What is their business model? They dropped the HD-DVD format to save a buck and basically established Blu-ray as the de facto HD standard. Now they are short-changing BD fans with a lossy sound format first introduced in 1992 and now they are taking a step backwards from TrueHD and DTS-MA. What's with this "Let them eat cake" attitude? Has Warner issued a statement as to why they are doing this? At the most these two movies will be rentals for me.

·
Banned
5,823 Posts
I too feel Warners should be providing lossless audio on all their releases.

I want to buy this to sample the 3D effects....I have a question though...I am colorblind so will these effects still work for me using the glasses supplied....Real shame about the lack of lossless sound...Speed Racer and this were big budget productions and should have lossless sound on Blu Ray.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Watching Journey in 2D is worse than watching Jurassic Park without a woofer; this film was made for 3D. Half of the story is dependent on it. I saw it in 2D while in San Antonio and was just as underwhelmed. But even with yesteryear's color skewed glasses, it was a much funner experience in 3D on Blu-ray. My guest also had a great time dodging yo-yo's and trying to pluck water droplets out of the air. It's been awhile since I heard another adult giggle like that. I really can't wait for the new 3D to be finalized now.

Bigger lenses would have made for a clearer pic, but it was still very effective. We weren't bothered by headaches though. Sorry to hear you were, Ralph. The lens' are red and green, btw. Even says so in setup. Mild case of trichromacy there?

I wouldn't count on Warner adding lossless when they drop 3D as seems to be a circulating expectation. Odds are they'll repress on BD25s instead, which would also explain why they didn't included lossless here. There should be plenty of room on this BD50.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Chad,

I'm glad you chimed in here, as you make a very good point. Sometimes the fun factor outweighs the minor technical and plot issues. This is a cool new technology that I want to try out with my family! Hopefully if this technology takes off there will be some higher quality 3D glasses offered some day.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I watched this tonight and have to say when you add up everything, from the washed out color evident in much of the first half of the movie, the lack of a lossless soundtrack, the frankly tough-to-watch 3D version to the mediocre quality of the movie (and especially the near tv level of cgi effects) itself, you have to be a real fan of this flick to want to spend the $25 - $30 to own it.

I rented it mostly curious to see how the 3D effect would translate to the home theater and that sadly turned out to be the biggest letdown. The extremely primitive red/green filtered image and glasses is barely a step above the old gimmicky b/w horror movies from the 50's and 60's and probably would have actually worked better if the 3D version was b/w. Perhaps someone more knowledgable than I can explain why the polarized full color 3D method wasn't used for the home video release.

The one welcome plus was the seamless ease one could toggle back and forth between the 3D and 2D versions using the menu while the movie played.

T.B.

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore /forum/post/14912878

Watching Journey in 2D is worse than watching Jurassic Park without a woofer; this film was made for 3D. Half of the story is dependent on it. I saw it in 2D while in San Antonio and was just as underwhelmed. But even with yesteryear's color skewed glasses, it was a much funner experience in 3D on Blu-ray. My guest also had a great time dodging yo-yo's and trying to pluck water droplets out of the air. It's been awhile since I heard another adult giggle like that. I really can't wait for the new 3D to be finalized now.

Bigger lenses would have made for a clearer pic, but it was still very effective. We weren't bothered by headaches though. Sorry to hear you were, Ralph. The lens' are red and green, btw. Even says so in setup. Mild case of trichromacy there?

I wouldn't count on Warner adding lossless when they drop 3D as seems to be a circulating expectation. Odds are they'll repress on BD25s instead, which would also explain why they didn't included lossless here. There should be plenty of room on this BD50.

Greetings,

Chad, didn't I say red and green?

Seeing a post from you is like old times. Don't be a stranger...

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore /forum/post/14912878

Chad,

Is good to see you again.... Now with Ralph, Dave and you here looks like old times..

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX /forum/post/14916183

Ralph how about being more thorough on the 3d aspects for future releases.

Thanks

Greetings,

Good point and will do...

Cheers,

1 - 20 of 76 Posts