AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body know if there is any plans to release the 1959 version of Journey to the Center of the Earth on DVD. Or of it was ever on DVD. I suspect it has a lock out on it due to the horrible remake. Looks like it is out of print on VHS as well.

Thanks

BH

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Originally posted by BHorn:

"Any body know if there is any plans to release the 1959 version of Journey to the Center of the Earth on DVD."

I've not seen a word from Fox as to when, if ever, JTTCOTE (love it! :D ) will be put on DVD.

Given the very poor quality of the transferring film elements used in past video transfers, I suspect Fox hasn't found decent ones to produce a suitable print from which to derive a clean HD master for DVD transferring. :(

JTTCOTE has never seen the light of day on DVD...but needs to ASAP!...

-THTS

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I have the vhs verson of the Pat Boone co- star, and the full Bernard Herrman Dolby Surround remastered by Silva Screen records. National Philharmonic Orchestra of London, England D-112660.

On the same C.D. is The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Fahrenheit 451, and Gullivers Travels. Running time 72M04S, all remastered in Dolby Surround. A real pleasure to listen to, I might add.

O/T I added "Hackers" and John Carpenters "Vampire" with The Texas Toad Lickers featuring John Carpenter on percussion. What a bassy good rock and roll sound track, I was immediately drawn to it. I now own 447 movie soundtracks on C.D. from 1933 to present.:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hob,

Just out of curiosity, is your vhs of this movie OAR or Pan and Scan.

Thanks,

BH

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
What I suspect about the Journey situation (and it's not good):

Back in the seventies during Dogfood's involvement with the Georgia State University Lyceum film series, we scheduled a 16mm Journey, and I made real sure that we specified a 'scope print. It arrived, and guess what. It was flat. I raved at our advisor about getting the wrong one, and I believe that he claimed they claimed it was all that they had. Films Incorporated was pretty good about having anamorphic prints of anamorphic flms (well, CinemaScope anyway- VistaVision was slightly "barred" on the tops and bottoms). A talk with one of the reps revealed that they sent away to California to get us the last 'scope print of The Egyptian when we got it (terrible movie, but I had recently gotten back from Egypt).

So, if 25 years ago they didn't have anamorphic elements, there's no proof they can't find them now, but it's not a good sign. It's color by Deluxe, not Tech, so if the neg wasn't properly dealt with, things could be rather dicey.

Loved the film as a child, seeing it at the Fox Theater on opening Saturday on a rainy day with most of the baby boomers of Atlanta there, filling the 1500 seat theater to the brim, but seeing it as an adult one sees that it really is for children, and it lives more fondly in one's imagination rather than in having to endure the Pat Boone wholesomeness and the cutesy stuff with the duck and the lizards with rubber on them. Of course, Herrmann's score is one of the greatest in fantasy film history.

I assume it was never on Laserdisc in 'scope? There was a touted reissue around 1986 or so. It was even on beta.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw this movie awhile back on showtime (maybe AMC) and it was shown in wide-screen. I saw this movie on tv many times as a kid in P&S but seeing it in wide-screen makes me want to see it on DVD in OAR with a good sound track.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
JTTCOTE and Mysterious Island, both way overdue for DVD. It's a shame :(

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Originally posted by Shaded Dogfood:

"Films Incorporated was pretty good about having anamorphic prints of anamorphic flms (well, CinemaScope anyway- VistaVision was slightly "barred" on the tops and bottoms)."

I am sure you know VistaVision wasn't an anomorphic format, right?

"So, if 25 years ago they didn't have anamorphic elements, there's no proof they can't find them now, but it's not a good sign. It's color by Deluxe, not Tech, so if the neg wasn't properly dealt with, things could be rather dicey."

I agree; am sure the original camera negative is all but gone...

"I assume it was never on Laserdisc in 'scope?"

There was actually a widescreen laserdisc version released some years ago, but also exhibits transferring elements' PQ that clearly indicate are in very poor conditions, yet the soundtrack is in Stereo......with tracking of the front channels no less...just like when it was shown in theaters back then!

It is shameful how Hollywood have treated their films over the years, thus countless of movies have been lost forever because of incredibly myopic decisions. Count JTTCOTE as another victim exacted by abyss's stupidity... :mad:

-THTS

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I have both 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Mysterious Island in Dolby Surround movie sound tracks. I have both the factory pre-record vhs of 20,000, a vhs off one of the pay channels of Mysterious

Island starring Herbert Lom as Captain Nemo.

I would like to see movie "Master of the World" from Jules Verne starring Charles Bronson and Vincent Price on DVD W/S in OAR, I have this on Vhs, but it's just not the same. Man I really have a 865+Vhs collection of a lot of OOP Vhs as well as a few DVD OOP 741 DVD about 1500 movies plus to choose from.

I still am buying them thinking the studios are going to release HD-DVD probably the same time as PFE releases The Final Countdown in about 5 years.

O/T I had a double feature today "Silent Running" and "The Bodyguard" with Whitney Houston belting out Queen of the Night as well as the Dolly Parton written song I will always love you. Man The Texas Toad Lickers that performed with John Carpenter

on the Vampire flick really stomp A** Rock and Roll.

I found a webtv group that likes my movie pages, I will not post any more here. Last one that was on for 2 days, was only viewed by 6 lurkers.

·
Registered
124 Posts
JOURNEY was re-mastered and re-released on Laserdisc, with Dolby 5.1 audio. A VERY sharp transfer, great color, although still had some grain issues. But certainly the best I've ever seen the film look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.