AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
This movie really bent my mind as a kid (hey, I was only a kid) and will probably end up buying this one to add to my ever-growing "I-saw-that-one-as-a-kid" collection that includes The Car, Race with the Devil, and The Legend of Boggy Creek.

·
Registered
30,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmoneous /forum/post/14190661

Is he off base, or am I the guy he mentions at the end of the review, uncritically loving any sci-fi he saw as a kid?

The guy he mentions at the end of the review, uncritically loving any sci-fi he saw as a kid, was himself: "...I saw Journey first on a 12" TV in B&W, and thought it was incredibly good ...a few years later did I realize that my judgment had been impaired by severe Sci-Fi geekdom." Do you fit that description? It certainly describes me as a kid.

I don't think the reviewer is off base. His chief criticism is fair: interesting concept, but what do they do with it, what point do they use it to make? Remember how some old episodes of 'Star Trek' used to discuss things like racism or the Vietnam war or other topical subjects using a sci-fi setting? Does this film deliver any such insight? Not really.

I'm still going to buy it for nostalgia value. I loved it as a kid; I'm sure I'll find things to like about it now. I just won't be as impressed as I was back then.

Sanjay

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Watched the DVD of this finally. Even on standard DVD, I thought this old film looked pretty damn good. I can't believe I've never seen this movie, since this is the kind of movie I used to love as a kid. If you haven't seen it, and like Sci-Fi from the 50's/60's, then this movie is for you. It does a lot of things right. But it also does a few things wrong. I thought it's worse sin was:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) The Ending. It was like they knew how to get the story started, and where to go with it. But once it was going, they were stumped on how to end it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts