AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based upon reccomendations I found on this forum and others I bought a Joytech 240C so that I could hook up my DirecTV HD box, my PS3, and my DVD player up to my HD TV that only has one input that would do 1080i.

Now that I have it hooked up, I get picture from DVD player just fine. I get 1080 picture from my DirecTV HD box, but my PS3 will only work when I have selected for 480. When I select the PS3 it will momentarily go to 1080i but then quickly just gives a blank screen shortly afterward.

Anybody know anything about this?

BTW: I have the H20 HD DirecTV box, hooked up via component cables, PS3 hooked up via component as well. Any help anybody has would be great. Also when the PS3 is hooked up to my 1080i input on my Television and it's setup to use 1080i, it works fine, as well as the H20 box, when directly connected to the TV.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have you updated the firmware on your PS3? Also, have you selected all the proper resolution choices for your TV, on your PS3? Have you tried the PS3 in another input on the joytech? I had my PS3 running through my joytech, before I switched to HDMI, and it worked fine, except for going black during resistance fall of man, and the genji demo. I can't say this is the switchbox's fault, though, because I had to send that unit back to Sony for repair/replacement. My new unit has only gone through HDMI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My PS3 has the latest firmware installed, in fact I'll even check periodically to make sure that it is up to date, especially since there for a while it seemed like every other week a new firmware update was released.

The PS3 will not work in 1080i when I put that setting in place, in fact it won't even make it to the sound settings, after you select the 1080i setting. My TV won't do 720 so I don't select that, but it will do 1080i, and when I select that is when I have the problem.

BTW when I plug the PS3 directly into the 1080 port into the back of the TV alone, it works fine when I select 1080i on the PS3. And it doesn't explain the fact that the HD Box was showing a distorted picture.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
See if my reply in the other topic is of any assistance (cant post direct link to it just yet, so ill just copy paste it here),

A quick way to determine if the problem is inded the Y signal do this.

Connect your source to any of the inputs, connect the output to the TV. (As you normally would).

A problem should be visible.

Now, disconnect ONLY the 'Y' signal from the input and disconnect the output 'Y' cable as well, then using a RCA joiner connect the two directly.

(That is, Y is connected directly from source to TV, and Pb/Pr are connected thru the switch)

If the problem has now dissapeared, then replacing the IC used to switch 'Y' will fix your problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.