AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if jp sports will broadcast their college football games in HD?

·
Registered
241 Posts
This is from the JP Sports website FAQ:

Q: Are JP Sports telecasts available in High Definition?

A: No. Because Jefferson Pilot Sports is syndicated and not network programming the vast majority of our affiliates would not able to transmit a HD signal from us. This is similar to why other syndicated programming is also not available in high definition.
:(

·
Registered
978 Posts
Not sure I buy that though...theres a big difference in syndicated programming and JP broadcasts....JP broadcasts are live. So while they may not have the ability to tape and playback HD, I would think that some of these stations could pass through HD...and Im sure more would upgrade equipment if these games were available in HD.

·
Registered
246 Posts
JP Sports boast some of the worst SD picture quality I have ever seen. I think many stations could handle a live HD feed if they provided it, and the rest would still be left with an SD feed that looks a lot better. JP Sports gets two thumbs down from me. :(

·
Registered
7,059 Posts
Most stations can't handle a live HD feed at this point. Few have the infrastructure to able to handle switching and routing of the HD and SD feed at the same time. We can, but most

of the stations Jp produces for, can't especially the SEC stations..

·
Registered
231 Posts
The JP affiliate here in Mobile broadcasts on UPN, which has HD capabilities. Who has JP on a channel that doesn't broadcast in HD?

BTW, JP will be the LAST people to broadcast in HD.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Did you really expect HDTV JP broadcasts? Everytime I watch the Vols on JP I cringe at the quality of these broadcasts. I don't know whats worse -- the quality of the SD feed or the announcers. I am suprised these jokers get the rights to broadcast some of these SEC games. They are seriousl a JOKE.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe
Most stations can't handle a live HD feed at this point. Few have the infrastructure to able to handle switching and routing of the HD and SD feed at the same time. We can, but most of the stations Jp produces for, can't especially the SEC stations..
At least one of those affiliates is known to delay broadcasts of games that are not of much "interest" in the local market. OTOH, they also have a tendency to preempt network broadcasts at the most maddening times - especially since they apparently have no way to delay the HD network feed. Big antennas are good :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
As a Gamecock fan, when it comes to televised games, you always pray your team isn't on JP.

CBS gets first pick, followed by ESPN and ESPN2. If they pass on your game, JP can pick it up. This sucks for a couple reasons. If it's at home, JP games are miserable because they're always on at 12:30. And 12:30 games anywhere in the SEC are torturous in 100+ degree heat. If it's an away game and you have to watch on TV, their production values suck. The picture is terrible, the sound isn't much better, and the announcers are weak compared to the networks.

I've seen high school football games with better production values. JP is not much better than local access.

·
Registered
260 Posts
At LSU, it is even more miserable because the games are at 11:30 AM. Coupled with our tradition of night football and lack of Friday night recovery time, these games are brutal...

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Here in ACC country, we are also on Raycom/JP sports for most of our local game. I agree that their SD is some of the worst around, and is downright unwatchable on my front pj setup. Hell, it looks pretty bad on my 36" CRT.

I don't think I'll even live to see the day (I'm 30) when JP does HD.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.