AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Tivo just annouced that their unit will be able to play JPEGs and MP3s stored on your home network. That's cool.

What's in the works for ReplayTV?

See on CNET:
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-977098...g=fd_nbs_ptech

Ajack

Edit: Tivo say they will allow you to play the JPEGs and MP3s on your networked PCs, which is a step up from having to download JPEGs to your RTV. I think.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
ReplayTV announced (and released) that images can be displayed on the units :)

I don't think there's any similar feature for MP3 in the works for ReplayTV, because the chip only works with MP1 and MP2...

·
Registered
582 Posts
You can transfer JPEG photos to your Repaly now, so TiVo is copying Replay on that one, Broadband AND the remote shceduling. Sounds like TiVo is playing catch up. Do you think Replay is eating into the market share??

As far as MP3's go, the pregnant question is ... "Why?" It didn't even make the wish list.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Stands to reason that I wouldn't MIND if MP3 could be played (with some sort of AVS-esque (the groovy screen saver, not the forum) screen... It's likely that the unit is already connected to folks' stereos and TV, so it's natural. But I'm not holding my breath.. I came up with my own solution at home.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Of course since TiVo is probably going to charge and extra fee for these features, the question is whether we would pay more money to SB for Mp3 feature.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
ReplayTV announced (and released) that images can be displayed on the units :)

I don't think there's any similar feature for MP3 in the works for ReplayTV, because the chip only works with MP1 and MP2...
mp3's are not mpeg3 they are mpeg1 2 and 2.5 the 3 refers to layer three the audio layer

·
Registered
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scyber
Of course since TiVo is probably going to charge and extra fee for these features, the question is whether we would pay more money to SB for Mp3 feature.
Just out of curiosity, why do you assume anything like that? Both companies charge almost the same for lifetime (250 SB / 249 TiVo) and TiVo is charging more for monthly, but where would your 'extra' charge fit in here?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
From the news article referenced in the first post in this thread:

Quote:
"TiVo will likely charge an additional fee for the premium service, which will be launched in January at the Consumer Electronics Association's CES conference in Las Vegas"

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Guess you told him :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
It will be interesting to see about the MP3 capability. If it's a version of Real Player, no thanks.. (didn't they have a press release to that effect a while back?)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.