Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Any one watch JPOP (Japanese Pop music) here?

Just finished the 3 SPEED concert DVDs which are released on Sep 18th in Japan. SPEED back in FULL power!

The DVDs are:

SPEED FIRST LIVE Starting Over from ODAIBA. Concert date was in 1997 summer. I have it on Laserdisc. The DVD picture quality is better overall with higher resolution, shaper/cleaner and better color. But there is still lots of cross color artifact!

SPEED Tour Rise in Tokyo Dome. I guess concert date was around 1999 summer. The show was only released on VHS back then! The DVD looks excellent for a old 4:3 video source.

SPEED Final Dome Tour REAL LIFE. I guess concert date was in the early 2000. Again this is the first DVD release. Though the overall picture quality is quite alright, it's not as good as the last one.

All the 3 DVDs are 4:3 format, 2 channel PCM audio and daul-layer. You can check more info on www.amazon.co.jp or www.cdjapan.co.jp

Out of the 3 DVDs/concerts, I think the middle one is the best in both picture quality and show performance. Hiroko and Eriko voice are super powerful! Of course any SPEED fan must buy them ALL!

SPEED - the most popular girl group in Japan from 1997 to 2000. They rejoin (sort of) last year for a charity concert tour. The charity concert tour continue this year in Oct/Nov. And they just released a new single. I hope the recent charity concert will be released on DVD soon. Or better, broadcast on HDTV!

You can check more of their info start from these 2 sites:

http://www.speedlegend.com/
http://www.geocities.com/speedspirits1335days/

regards,

Li On

PS: will post more JPOP (those I like) DVD info here.

PPS: can't wait for the end of Oct for the first ZONE DVD release!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey li on.

Believe it or not but when i read this post i was actually listening to uehara takako's FIRST WING album. Might pick up those dvd's later, although i'm not that big a speed fan.

I'm really getting into 80s jpop at the moment, most recent purchase is the onyanko club 5dvd box (pcbc-50206), should arrive early next week. I can post a review in this thread if you don't mind. In fact i have a lot of jpop dvd reviews i wrote for asiandvdguide lying around complete with screen captures. Most recent ones are sharan q live video, the last 2 shiina ringo concert dvd's, ua, and of course lots of momusu.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi jeroen,

Nice to see you post again! :)

SPEED is great. Be a speed fan, be a big speed fan! Get the concert DVDs, turn UP the volume, with a big screen, it's heaven!

It was sad to see them breakup in 2000. But the timing was good. Then the Morning Musume can move to the top of popular girl group!

There are TOO many musume video content. 8 concerts in HDTV in 3 year, and countless DVD releases!

There are only 3 SPEED DVD concert DVDs now with the Sep 18th release and I want MORE. I forgot how much I miss their powerful voice!

Btw, recently I bought a Mai Kuraki concert DVD - GIZA studio Mai-K & Friends Hotrod Beach Party Vol.1 2002 Summer. It's a brand new DVD and the price is ~$17 and I thought it's cheap as the DVD listed price is 4000 yen. Then later I saw it selling for ~$6 in other shops, also brand new!

Anyway, the picture is 4:3 letterboxed, 2 channel PCM and daul-layer, total 140mins.

The picture quality is usual Mai concert DVD quality, which means very poor! But at least this time Mai looks great, songs are great and the mood is great too. I enjoy the DVD very much.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I have SPEED: First Live (TFLQ-78020) on LD as well! I didnt like any of their "later" albums so I stopped listening to them.

I think I'll pick up the SharonQ live, they are one of my fav groups of all time!

·
Registered
84 Posts
tkmedia2 -

get that sharan q concert dvd now! It's such a joy to watch, these guys know how to perform and the songs all sound great live. Too bad tsunku doesn't perform much these days. My secret wish is he will perform with natsumi at her graduation next year, but i doubt it will happen.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=bvbr-11002

Captures:

http://members.chello.nl/j.komen1/sharanq/0.htm

R2j, ntsc, dvd5, video-sourced (shot on video), oar 133/4:3, lpcm 2.0 1536 kbps, average bit rate 7.75mbps. Only complaint is some minor softness but part of that of course is because i had to watch it in bob mode on the htpc. Compression artifacts are visible in the captures, but that's a powerdvd thing, i didn't notice any of that on my main radeon/ati player system. Black level is rock solid @ 0 ire, shadow detail above average. Nice vibrant colors. Great lpcm audio! No clipping, perfect a/v sync. Sound is impressively full and rich, yet 100% neutral with no excessive bass or harsh highs. Placement of instruments was a little odd a couple of times, like a guitar playing in the middle of the frame but the sound coming distinctly from the right speaker. Other than that an a+ mix.

Li On -

think i'll take your advice and get those discs then. True about the momusu discs, but if you only get the zetima releases then it's still affordable. I don't care much for the other releases anyway, like the musicals and h!p concerts. A/v quality of those isn't that great also. Sadly zetima is slipping as well, last two momusu concerts weren't anything to write home about, especially compared to the great 2k2 spring concert which is still my favorite.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm... onyanko club! I wonder there will all the musume girls be after 15 years!

During 80s I guess most popular are the individual idol singer/actress. Girl group was not that heat back then.

At the beginning of 90s, there was a 5 girls group CoCo. Their songs are very cute! I have a few LD.

I doubt there will be much DVD release of that period...

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I still listen to old Seikomatsuda and yamaguchi momo on an iPod. As well as checkers, princess princess ( I have the complete collection), junglesmile, puffy to name a few.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I wonder why it took them so long to release these on DVD?

After getting the Ayumi Hamasaki Concert Box set, I think I'll only get one of the Speed Concert DVDs, or maybe the first and the last concert DVDs.

Japan needs to get on the bandwagon and put DD5.1 or DTS 5.1 on more of their concert DVDs. Enhanced 16:9 widescreen would be nice, too. This is almost a standard for US released concert DVDs now.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Li On
It was sad to see them breakup in 2000. But the timing was good. Then the Morning Musume can move to the top of popular girl group!

There are TOO many musume video content. 8 concerts in HDTV in 3 year, and countless DVD releases!
Yes, but which MM group will be the top group, Sakuragumi or Otomegumi?

I don't think you need to buy more than one MM concert DVD a year, since the material is pretty much the same from concert to concert. I'd probably give preference to the HP concerts, since then you can see Aya Matsuura perform as well.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I think PCM is fine for most of this stuff. DD5.1 don't matter to me as much but having a wide format for new footage is greatly wanted.

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi jeroen,

Epbe-5078, I love the opening red cloth for the Do it Now!

epbe-5038, IMO still THE best MM concert recently. It's a MM (not H!P) concert and no one need to "graduate"! Btw are you sure the DVD is anamorphic or 4:3 letterbox. I need to check the DVD because I usually watch the BS HDTV version!

I missed last MM concert on BS HDTV at the beginning of the month. It was due to a DIRECT hit or a strong typhoon. The timing was just perfect! Hope the show will be re-boardcast soon.

regards,

Li On

PS: Ayaya just released a new MV single. Friend say the quality is good, as usual!

http://avbuzz.htfriends.net/so/ayalastnight/aaaaa.jpg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi li on,

epbe-5038 is 16:9 enhanced. Epbe-5078 is 4:3 letterbox. But you're crazy buying the dvd if you have the hi-def broadcast on tape!

Yeah, i saw the captures of the new aya mtv at avbuzz. Amazing, as always. I have epbe-5044 and pq blows my mind every time i watch it. This is the one dvd that most closely resembles hi-def, imo. Love the silky smooth motion. Since it plays in weave mode perfectly i guess it's 30fps progressive right? Definitely not 24.

Some captures:

http://members.chello.nl/j.komen1/ep.../epbe-5044.htm

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeroen
Please no gimmicky surround sound on concert dvd's. The high quality uncompressed lpcm sound is what i love about japanese music dvd's.

Btw the last momusu concert dvd (epbe-5078) does have dts 5.1 track, in addition to lpcm. It also has the worst video quality of all the zetima releases so far.

If you think surround sound is gimmicky, you need to rent or buy Diana Krall's Live in Paris DVD. It is 16:9 enhanced, and has both DTS and DD 5.1 sound tracks. It is generally recognized as one of the finest concert DVDs out there.

I do have the Morning Musume Nonstop! concert DVD, and indeed it does have DTS on it. However, it is non-anamorphic letterboxed and it's impossible to get it to look right on a widescreen TV.

Having the DD or DTS 5.1 audio does not deprive you of your LPCM audio because that is on every DVD for those who do not have DD or DTS decoders. You can have it your way, but I want to have it my way. That is what's great about DVD.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Quote:
Having the DD or DTS 5.1 audio does not deprive you of your LPCM audio because that is on every DVD for those who do not have DD or DTS decoders.
I wish! You're confused with the downmix to lpcm happening inside the dvd player but that's just lpcm reconstructed from the lossy compressed lo-res dd track. Native lpcm is 1536 kbps uncompressed and has the potential to sound much, much nicer.

Look, coming from the laserdisc days i just prefer lpcm. Dd music, even at the highest bit rate it never sounds good to me. Full bit rate dts should come close to lpcm i guess, but then there's still the gimmicky aspect meaning the use of surround speakers. It just doesn't sound right to me, and it's totally unconvincing. And you have to believe it's not my system.

But let's not argue. In the end it's all about personal preference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.