1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I probably would. But I don't want to register for you site just to vote.

I think it would be a great idea - certainly itunes can be improved upon.

Step 1 - put in a real database engine so large libraries can be easily handled

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
You would get a bunch of Mac customers with one of your features alone: Blu-ray playback, if you can do it directly, without having to transcode/rip the Blu-ray disk first.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
if your software was available for Mac,then I would have kept my Mac-mini.

Returned it after 2 weeks due to my frustration at not having a software

Solution such as yours.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have both PCs AND Macs in my household. The only reason I continue to have PCs is to natively run JRiver Media Center. So yes... I would buy a Mac version of JRiver Media Center in a heartbeat! Please bring it on!

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
If it could play Blu-ray iso's I would absolutely buy it.

3D Blu-ray iso's and I'd probably even pay you in advance : )

The lossless audio would be nice, but not a deal killer for me.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'd get it as soon as it was available... just for audio management. Any video solutions would just be gravy.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
345 Posts
Quote from www.jriver.com :

"6. It will be audio-only for the first year."

I very much doubt many Mac users will pay $49.98 or even $24.98 (Early Bird) just for an iTunes alternative.

Although I would love to see a native replacement for Front Row on OS X, I use it 99% for videos, so your initial version falls short of my goal, sorry.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feedback. We intend to add video in the future.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Better to wait until it is video capable than to release a half baked product into the market and milk customers for a half completed product.

Remember-many mac owners are fully aware that video codec support is one area that OSX falls short on and is the hardest to implement in a paid for product, so luanching a product and asking customers to pony up dollars with the "promise" of it materializing in the future is problematic. How many times have folks here been bit by the un-materialized CE manufacturers promise of future (un-finished) functionality for it only to become vaporware. That behavior out of the industry leaves a bad taste in ones mouth. Remember the saying: "Fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me"?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your advice. We're far enough along, that failure is not an option. We will release a First Look player on February 22.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Yeah, without video, don't expect Mac users to buy it.

For me, the only way I'd switch from Plex to JRMC on my OS X machines would be if it offered me something that Plex doesn't.

Namely:

1) Improved playback -- I still feel that MPC-HC w/ MadVR on my Windows HTPC's provides better video playback than Plex on m OSX machines.

2) better music organization with playlists

3) DTS-MA and TrueHD playback -- THIS WOULD BE THE DEAL-MAKER FOR ME. That being said, no one has been able to do this yet.

Get me those 3 things and I'd buy it in a nanosecond.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We're still on track for a release this Friday. It will be music only, still unfinished, with some bugs left, but it already imports and plays well on 10.7 or above.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had never heard if this product before. But -

2/21/13 they wrote on their website forum -
Quote:
"PRICE

It's $24.98 at this time. We expect to raise the price by $5 each month until it reaches $49.98. Do not buy it unless you're willing to take a chance. We will not offer refunds."

Paying to try an Alpha build? No thanks.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sure. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was excited to read about the release for the mac as I'm trying to get my parents on board with the far superior HTPC experience. And then I read it was audio only with lots of bugs. and you have to pay for it.

Sorry but that is pretty ridiculous, in my opinion!

I use Jriver on a windows 7 asrock vision HT and really like it a lot, but still think itunes on the mac is a better music player especially for browsing through a very large library on a tablet or phone app. why would anyone waste their time with jriver on the mac...to play FLAC files?

when you get up to $50 do you plan on having video? I'll continue paying attention to Jriver for the MAC if that is a goal but otherwise will write it off and look elsewhere for my parents.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts