AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of our move from Georgia to Florida we greatly increased the size of our house and have a dedicated game room and home theater room. We'll be starting with the game room that is up on the second floor. The room is ~24'x25' in size with a wet bar on the "south" side of the room. The west wall will host 4 49" LG TV's. Each will be fed 2 HDMI's from a media closet adjacent to the room. The media closet will host the DirecTV boxes, an entertainment rack, power conditioner and control equipment. Install is being done professionally by a friend in the business. I'm beyond blessed there. Control will be via iPad's. There will be an additional TV mounted up behind the wet bar. We'll also have 2 PS4's in a cabinet underneath the TV's. Finally, there will be a BR player and Apple TV in the closet connecting to two of the TV's. Audio will be a Sonos Playbar and Sonos Sub. I'll be watching my Sunday Ticket in style lol!

Other items in the room will be a ping pong table and, if space allows, a couple of bar tables and stools. We're still looking for a good sectional to face the TV's so older couches we moved down will suffice for now.

HT room is adjacent to the game room. Dimensions are 19'x13' with a slightly raised platform at the back of the room. We are planning on a PJ but haven't picked one yet and there's no need until we're closer to tackling the project. Same friend will do all of the wiring. We already have a few HT recliners that we moved down with us. They're in great shape but a dark forest green color that may be impossible to match. May go with a complementary color like a brown. No windows in the room so light control will be easy. Nothing much else to post for now as this is probably a year away.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you going to have a Directv box for each tv?
Yes, but 3 of the TV's will be sharing a box with another TV in the house via an HDMI splitter. One will share with the TV behind the wet bar, one with the TV in the Master which is right behind the TV wall, and a 3rd will eventually split duty with the projector that will go in the theater. The upper right will always have its own box. Also, for now, the upper right will be the source for the Sonos system. I can get sound to follow the TV so to speak but it's roughly 1k to do that. That's a good future upgrade.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Absolutely love how it turned out even though apparently there is an issue with splitting DirecTV signal between two boxes. I understand DTV's position but think it's silly to try and scare people and installers into submission. I'm not running a business and still have 6 boxes lol!

In any case, the wall is awesome. TV control is done via a URC MX-2 with an iPad as the remote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
820 Posts
I hear you on the box splitting stuff.

IIRC you guy buy direct TV boxes and just add them to the account. I have comcast and have to rent the boxes, so in theory I'll have to rent an additional 4 comcast boxes($40/mo) for the rest of my life just to run the basement. I'm going to get an HD Prime from Silicon Dust and use a cable card to hopefully avoid renting 3 of those boxes, but we shall see...

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I'm going to get an HD Prime from Silicon Dust and use a cable card to hopefully avoid renting 3 of those boxes, but we shall see...
This is exactly what I do. Use an HDHR Prime and a bunch of gadgets I already owned to distribute tv signal.

I couldnt and wouldnt be interested in doing it if i had to pay for half a dozen boxes.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
My buddy in Florida is a Directv subscriber and his family gets the Sunday Ticket to follow their teams (Eagles and Bills).

He came to visit in September and logged in on my Xbox 360, which turned into a pretty nice thing the rest of the year for me. I was surprised how much better than ESPN3/Watch ESPN it looked.

The split multi screen was a bit too gimicky though - no game was large enough and not many options. Id do it the way you are too.

Then I'd add a drop down projection screen :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I used to setup a computer next to the TV so I could watch a couple of games at once. Probably could setup one to stream to a TV instead of a box but it's not that big of a deal.

And yes, the multi-game channels leave much to be desired. I thought about one large TV and doing that but this allows for flexibility outside of NFLST too. My son and I can play PS4's right next to each other while my wife and daughter watch something too. A lot of flexibility, which is cool. Might need to pick up an Xbox One S when they come out too since I have the 4k TV now. Maybe for Christmas. Need to build the fun budget back up again.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
awesome space...I bet for Sunday games its amazing!!

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
any new theater updates?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
any new theater updates?
Added an Apple TV 4k :). Pretty happy with it though we've only watched a couple of movies. Very steady state though so we're just enjoying it. It's funny, we originally looked at a house plan that would have had a much larger game room but no dedicated theater. The family now unequivocally is happy we got the theater now. We didn't use the old theater in Georgia much but I think that was because it was isolated in the basement. A screen nearly twice the size with the 6040 PJ certainly helps.

Need to find a way to increase air flow. The room is on the southwest corner of the house so gets warm, especially when you pile 5-6 or more people in there. I might get some small fans to put on either side of the screen in the upper corners of the room pointing towards the seating area. If we have advance notice, we just turn the AC down a couple of degrees and that certainly takes care of it.

Still loving it though!

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Added an Apple TV 4k :). Pretty happy with it though we've only watched a couple of movies. Very steady state though so we're just enjoying it. It's funny, we originally looked at a house plan that would have had a much larger game room but no dedicated theater. The family now unequivocally is happy we got the theater now. We didn't use the old theater in Georgia much but I think that was because it was isolated in the basement. A screen nearly twice the size with the 6040 PJ certainly helps.

Need to find a way to increase air flow. The room is on the southwest corner of the house so gets warm, especially when you pile 5-6 or more people in there. I might get some small fans to put on either side of the screen in the upper corners of the room pointing towards the seating area. If we have advance notice, we just turn the AC down a couple of degrees and that certainly takes care of it.

Still loving it though!
thats good to hear...and ive noticed that too,.,my little room can get fairly warm...are you enjoying your struggling Oakland Raiders in the HT room? not that I can talk..my Dolphins are getting embarrassed.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thats good to hear...and ive noticed that too,.,my little room can get fairly warm...are you enjoying your struggling Oakland Raiders in the HT room? not that I can talk..my Dolphins are getting embarrassed.
Yep, I watch them no matter how good or bad they are. This year has been a major disappointment. The D still is mediocre at best and the O has regressed. Not sure why they're dinking and dunking when the intermediate and deep routes have been so successful for them. Cooper on an intermediate crossing route has been money but they've only done that a few games.

Not sure what's up with the Dolphins. I never thought Cutler would be their savior but thought they'd be better than they have been.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What a great super bowl weekend. Even better that the Patriots lost! In total we had 38 people at our party and had a blast. Theater got crowded but nobody complained. Kids loved the game room and the younger ones quickly migrated to the ping pong table. And our elderly guests enjoyed the game downstairs in the living room. Nights like last night are a big reason why we invested in the game room and theater. We love being able to share it with our friends and family!

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
What a great super bowl weekend. Even better that the Patriots lost! In total we had 38 people at our party and had a blast. Theater got crowded but nobody complained. Kids loved the game room and the younger ones quickly migrated to the ping pong table. And our elderly guests enjoyed the game downstairs in the living room. Nights like last night are a big reason why we invested in the game room and theater. We love being able to share it with our friends and family!
Evil was punished!!!

Reactions: jsrdlr

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Evil was punished!!!
My daughter saw the new Mission Impossible trailer/commercial and said she wanted to see it. We told her there were 5 others and she wants to watch them first. $25 for the first 5 on iTunes in HD. We should enjoy watching those over the next few months.

Can't wait for Solo, Black Panther, or the new Avengers flick either. BP will probably be delayed until Blu Ray. Not sure we can avoid a commercial theater for the other two.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
My daughter saw the new Mission Impossible trailer/commercial and said she wanted to see it. We told her there were 5 others and she wants to watch them first. $25 for the first 5 on iTunes in HD. We should enjoy watching those over the next few months.

Can't wait for Solo, Black Panther, or the new Avengers flick either. BP will probably be delayed until Blu Ray. Not sure we can avoid a commercial theater for the other two.
i already bought our tickets to Black Panther..it looks really good..and 25 for all 5?? that is a pretty good deal.

Solo will be a blu ray for me..but the new Avengers one looks epic!!

Reactions: jsrdlr
1 - 20 of 21 Posts