AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well I just ended up ordering the PSA TV36 IPAL thanks to you guys. I'm sure the upgrade from dual pb 2000's is going to be massive and I cant wait to feel the difference. :) thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Congrats on what I am sure will be a great choice. Can't wait to hear your impressions. :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
This is exactly what I was wondering. I love the ULF but am also wondering if I am missing a large amount of mid-range punch in comparison to the TV36 ipal. I would be willing to lose a little low bass extension, but not too much. Being I am not 100% sure though, has kept me from pulling the trigger on one, and for the reasons I mentioned on my previous post. The only way to be sure is to do exactly what you have done by taking advantage of the pre-order. I applaud you and look forward to your impressions. :D

I'll be sure to post my impressions in the PSA thread once it arrives and I have a chance to compare the two. :D

·
Registered
19,274 Posts
If he used the 21 inch he could have a Cap4000 beater. The dual 18 may equal the Cap4000 if it has the same x-max as the 21.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
If he used the 21 inch he could have a Cap4000 beater. The dual 18 may equal the Cap4000 if it has the same x-max as the 21.
Significantly smaller box size, about 40% the amp power, and much less excursion means it wouldn't make sense to expect it to match the Cap4000. Comparison to a Cap2400ULF with slightly higher tuning frequency and more efficiency above 40-50Hz is probably a a more realistic expectation, which is what many of the guys here have suggested. Of course the Cap driver still has more useful displacement than a pair of the non-IPAL drivers for the wide frequency range where that sets the limit.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Significantly smaller box size, about 40% the amp power, and much less excursion means it wouldn't make sense to expect it to match the Cap4000. Comparison to a Cap2400ULF with slightly higher tuning frequency and more efficiency above 40-50Hz is probably a a more realistic expectation, which is what many of the guys here have suggested. Of course the Cap driver still has more useful displacement than a pair of the non-IPAL drivers for the wide frequency range where that sets the limit.
Where does driver sensitivity come into play? Just in reaching a given excursion with less amp power?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Do you think two of the ipals would contend with cap 4k from 12.5 hz to 30 hz? I know above that, the ipal should hold its own one vs one

·
Registered
19,274 Posts
I was going off Data-bass, an S2 hits 97 dB at 10hz, the dual Ipal 21 hits 100 sealed at 10hz. Porting that would produce 10-12 dB more if box is proper size without low end boost.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Do you think two of the ipals would contend with cap 4k from 12.5 hz to 30 hz? I know above that, the ipal should hold its own one vs one
Someone with time might be able to do some calculations. FWIW, Tom should be able to tell you since the 4k numbers are on databass. Unless, the new psa sub is sent to Ricci, we are just guessing the dbs until someone (@Marc Alexander?) can do some measurements for us. Output numbers of subs at these levels are over rated IMO, especially with 2 or more subs, there is SQ which is even more important to me.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I haven't had my hands on the 18IPAL specifically, which is somewhat different from the 21IPAL and other 21s I am familiar with, but more similar than different. If you want a good guess of data, you can look at Data-Bass's measurements of the X21 I originally designed for our cabinet shop to sell as just a cabinet. With 1 port plugged and the INuke amp, the performance is almost the same as what I'd estimate from the TV36 Neo. Internal volume of the boxes appears to be very close, and both use roughly the same port. Depending on frequency, the IPAL will likely have a 1-3dB advantage over the 1 port X21 with INuke. Depending on the frequency I would expect burst testing to be 2-6dB shy of the 4000ULF below 50Hz, maybe a little closer if you loosen up the distortion limits.

Physics still wins out here where if you want the lowest frequency output, you need box volume and power with capable enough drivers. If you don't have as much power, you need more box volume.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Hello, Entering into an old thread but I was thinking of an upgrade to a JTR 2400 from 2, PSA XS30s. I can't find benchmarks on them other than the dealer website, but I found the CEA on the XS15SE, but not mine. Compared to the XS15 the JTR is 10-12db high in everything below 40. So I think think that is where I am missing and would gain with the JTR. My room is only 21x12.5x9. Dedicated, no openings.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Hello, Entering into an old thread but I was thinking of an upgrade to a JTR 2400 from 2, PSA XS30s. I can't find benchmarks on them other than the dealer website, but I found the CEA on the XS15SE, but not mine. Compared to the XS15 the JTR is 10-12db high in everything below 40. So I think think that is where I am missing and would gain with the JTR. My room is only 21x12.5x9. Dedicated, no openings.
You would pick up a tremendous amount of low bass performance with the JTR. Are you thinking duals or one? If going single, look at the Cap 4000

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
You would pick up a tremendous amount of low bass performance with the JTR. Are you thinking duals or one? If going single, look at the Cap 4000
I measured the 4000 and I just don't think I would want that in my room. I could only fit under the screen in the front left corner of my room. I would love to have it, but that part even fails my WAF. :) I would start out with one 2400 to see if it would do the trick. I could fit 2 of those though.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I measured the 4000 and I just don't think I would want that in my room. I could only fit under the screen in the front left corner of my room. I would love to have it, but that part even fails my WAF. :) I would start out with one 2400 to see if it would do the trick. I could fit 2 of those though.

You might be able to trade in your PSA subs toward a new one or two. I think the TV1812 would be on par with a JTR 2400 but a bit smaller enclosure possibly. And of course the PSA TV3612 is something to check out too.

Reactions: rhelliott2

·
Registered
5,767 Posts

The 2400 is an excellent sub. Two of those in that room would be incredible. The newer drivers also have even lower distortion and better clarity to the bass. If you would want to stay with that size roughly then look at the FV18 paper cone as well. The JTR will have more output but also more expensive. Both these subs have been tested at data-bass so you can see the numbers there. The FV18 tested was an aluminum cone one so for paper cone at 3db more starting at 50hz. There is no other sub in the size of the JTR 2400 that has that kind of ULF performance.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
You might be able to trade in your PSA subs toward a new one or two. I think the TV1812 would be on par with a JTR 2400 but a bit smaller enclosure possibly. And of course the PSA TV3612 is something to check out too.
Does PSA Trade?

21 - 40 of 65 Posts