AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
JTR has come out with a new Captivator 1400 on sale at $1,599.

The older version was approx. $2,599 with a single voice coil and 2400 watt amp. However, ICEpower has developed new modular amplifiers that are extremely powerful and efficient for a lower cost. This has allowed JTR to get within 2 db of the performance of the old Captivator for $500 less. Between April 15 and May 15, JTR is offering an additional $400 off on pre-sale of the new Captivator for only $1,599. Shipping starts at $150 and up to the lower 48 states with free shipping on orders of 4 or more to the same address.

However, if you live in Southern California or the greater Los Angeles area, we are putting together a Los Angeles Group Buy with free shipping. We already have the minimum of 4 orders, so any one else that wants to join us will get free shipping also. That means you can get the legendary JTR Captivator performance for only $1,599 (almost $1,000 off last year's price)!

JTR is also offering custom wood veneers at an additional $200. JTR uses an outside custom cabinet maker to make their enclosures. Take a look at the Rosenut or black oak finish attached below or check out at the other stock finishes on the link provided. JTR will also match whatever wood sample that you provide them. Where else can you get a pre-manufactured furniture grade 18" subwoofer in the wood veneer of your choice with the track record performance of a Captivator for only $1,799!

JTR took the same incredibly strong 18" motor assembly in the Cap 2400 and replaced the single voice coil with a dual voice coil at the same excursion. They replaced the older amp with two ICE 700 watt @ 4 ohm modules for a total of 1400 watts (rated 1850 watts @ 3 ohms by others). Each half of the voice coil is driven by one 700 watt amp module. The JTR 18" driver features 30mm linear travel each way (Xmax), 3.75" peak to peak mechanical travel (Xmech), 60 lbs motor structure and an extremely high motor strength of 256 (bl^2/re).

They optimized the DSP for the new driver achieving a flat response +/- 2 db to 16 Hz. Look at the attached graph supplied by Jeff at JTR. The line on the left is at 16hz, the line on the right is at 33hz, and they are 2db apart (+/- 1db). There is also an adjustable high pass and low pass filter and adjustable bass boost so someone can dial in the response of their choice. The topend rises because of how much motor strength (bl^2/re=256) that this driver provides. This is really important for sound quality because solid excursion control with a well designed cabinet gives extremely tight, clean bass. That is an extremely powerful motor, the type of BL^2/re that you see in heavy duty pro audio woofers. That has even more force than the LMS Ultra which isn't being manufactured any more because of the demise of TC Sounds.

DIY designs with larger cabinets like the Marty Mini with a UXL-18 driver (when you can get one) and iNuke amp may cost a bit less. But unless you have a dedicated home theater the larger cabinet may be harder to fit in a living room and get past the Wife Acceptance Factor. Also, if you don't have cabinetry finishing skills, tools and a spray booth the end product probably won't look as refined. JTR has put a lot of expertise into maximizing the DSP for this amp and driver for an incredibly tight and responsive performance. Just because a UXL-18 has massive excursion and an iNuke 6000dsp has lots of power doesn't mean it's going to sound the same. By the time you add the cost of hardwood veneer, tools and finishing, at $1,799 the difference between ID and DIY may not be worth the effort. At $1,599 for basic black when you account for the value of your time, the cost/performance differential is almost negligible.

JTR specifies that to save $150+ (each) on shipping you'd need to ship 4 or more to the same address. Four or more 160 lb. Captivators at 34" tall, 24" wide and 26.5" deep (with packaging) would be a lot to show up in someone's residential driveway midday during the week. My family owns a factory next to the Van Nuys Airport with a freight bay and forklifts for pallets. It would make a good drop off location (see attached map) for people to pick up their Captivators after they get off work. There is also a locked storage area if someone can't pick it up the same day the freight truck arrives. I also have a truck if someone needs help or can't fit a Captivator in their vehicle.

Check out the YouTube clips and the results of the Subwoofer ShootOuts posted below. The JTR Captivator moves massive amounts of air and always comes out in the top tier when compared against other legendary performers like the Seaton Subversive. The $1,599 sale goes until May 15th. Is there any one else in the SoCal / Greater Los Angeles area interested in joining us for the Group Buy? (PM me if you are interested)

JTR CAPTIVATOR

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/captivator/

VENEER FINISHES

http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.com/post/jtr-custom-speakers-5012941?pid=1275658541#post1275658541

ICE POWER

http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/en/solutions/speaker/ASC_SERIES

SHOOTOUTS

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...ortheast-october-20th-gtg-results-thread.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...city-subwoofer-meet-results.html#post20438074

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...sas-city-blind-subwoofer-shootout-2012-a.html

YOUTUBE

======================================

Attachments

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
So I know you've been pondering this decision vs the RA sub....what finally swayed you to the JTR? By the way, I ordered 2 of these myself and can't wait.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your PM, it really helped:

"Your journey sounds very similar to mine...I've been looking, reading for some time. I really wanted the JTR Orbit Shifter but it's too big for my room. The it was the JTR S2 but that was also too big to fit...so then I thought I was settled on the JTR S1 but then started looking at Seaton Sound SubM HP+ and (thought) my decision was final. After exchanging a few e-mails with Mark Seaton I was then hooked on the SubM XL but it's been coming for years and it's still not out so it was back to the SubM HP+ or S1. Then after a few e-mails with Jeff he suggested the Cap 1400 as he thought it would be a better fit for my JTR 215RT's because they are tuned to the same frequency. I also considered RA subs and jbrown and I exchanged PM's on those. I liked the PS-18x in a Master/Slave config, then the gamma 218 came out and I was interested in that as well. The only thing I didn't like about the RA subs was there were not many (hardly any) in the wild and there was no feedback or reviews that I could find. I combed through the entire RA thread and (for me) RA just seemed to new and I didn't want to be one of the first. So back to JTR (as I was tired of waiting for the SubM XL from Seaton) and the Cap 1400 came along with the intro price and I finally pulled the trigger on 2 of them."

I feel comfortable in my decision. The Cap 1400's are so close to the Cap 2400 and the 2400 got so many positive reviews from owners and from all the GTG's it participated in....it made my decision easier. I can't tell you how 2 18's would compare to 4 18's because on paper it shouldn't, however, I can say that the 2 Cap1400's will be built like tanks and (based upon being only 2db less than a 2400) should give plenty of impact from port tune on up. Couple that with the positive reviews/feedback on JTR in general + the great feedback on the 2400, I think you have something to feel confident in. The RA offerings are probably going to be great as well but (for me) there isn't enough user input to get the same level of confidence in.

If I remember your room is very big and very open. The consensus from most on the forum is a ported sub would be more beneficial in that type of room than a sealed, unless of course you're going to run with many, many sealed 18's. I also looked at DIY but didn't think I would feel comfortable building something to the same level of quality as the Cap1400, so moved on from DIY."

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
Thank you so much for your PM, it really helped:

"Your journey sounds very similar to mine...I've been looking, reading for some time. I really wanted the JTR Orbit Shifter but it's too big for my room. The it was the JTR S2 but that was also too big to fit...so then I thought I was settled on the JTR S1 but then started looking at Seaton Sound SubM HP+ and (thought) my decision was final. After exchanging a few e-mails with Mark Seaton I was then hooked on the SubM XL but it's been coming for years and it's still not out so it was back to the SubM HP+ or S1. Then after a few e-mails with Jeff he suggested the Cap 1400 as he thought it would be a better fit for my JTR 215RT's because they are tuned to the same frequency. I also considered RA subs and jbrown and I exchanged PM's on those. I liked the PS-18x in a Master/Slave config, then the gamma 218 came out and I was interested in that as well. The only thing I didn't like about the RA subs was there were not many (hardly any) in the wild and there was no feedback or reviews that I could find. I combed through the entire RA thread and (for me) RA just seemed to new and I didn't want to be one of the first. So back to JTR (as I was tired of waiting for the SubM XL from Seaton) and the Cap 1400 came along with the intro price and I finally pulled the trigger on 2 of them."

I feel comfortable in my decision. The Cap 1400's are so close to the Cap 2400 and the 2400 got so many positive reviews from owners and from all the GTG's it participated in....it made my decision easier. I can't tell you how 2 18's would compare to 4 18's because on paper it shouldn't, however, I can say that the 2 Cap1400's will be built like tanks and (based upon being only 2db less than a 2400) should give plenty of impact from port tune on up. Couple that with the positive reviews/feedback on JTR in general + the great feedback on the 2400, I think you have something to feel confident in. The RA offerings are probably going to be great as well but (for me) there isn't enough user input to get the same level of confidence in.

If I remember your room is very big and very open. The consensus from most on the forum is a ported sub would be more beneficial in that type of room than a sealed, unless of course you're going to run with many, many sealed 18's. I also looked at DIY but didn't think I would feel comfortable building something to the same level of quality as the Cap1400, so moved on from DIY."
Do you have your 215RT's? I wasn't aware there was another 215 owner in CA. If you're ever heading up north, PM me and we can get together and compare notes.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Great subs, great price!
Archea, Thanks for your PM about 2 ported subs vs. 4 sealed subs in a very large room:

"To put it simply, I'm quite sure you will NOT be disappointed with the JTR Captivators. As you know, I had two, and now I have eight sealed UM18's. The sealed are a fraction better in my opinion than the two ported caps. That defies logic, until you've heard both. Two of my friends say they liked the old pair of captivators better than the eight sealed --- so it perhaps isn't as clear as what the numbers might say. And it isn't that my sealed subs are setup wrong. I'm basically flat to 7hz in my room. Here is a measurement of the eight sealed taken by a guest of my theater last weekend during the KC home theater crawl. Desertdome took the measurement.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/15-gen...l#post33827977

Also, note for that video with the sleeping bag air movement, I was putting about 1000 watts into the ported captivator subs, because each sub was fed off a single channel of an iNuke DSP 3000. So you'll be getting superior firepower to what I had in the video attached to your captivator 1400."

Your room is just too big to get your hopes up about good room gain. So ported seems a stronger answer."

---------------------------------

I also noted that Eric came to the same conclusions about the advantages of ported subs in very large spaces when testing their new subs in the middle of the Reaction Audio warehouse:

With a huge open space with 25 ft ceilings, the subs still sounded very impressive even though the acoustic environment provided little or no help from the room at all. If we were doing the comparison with strictly music, the differences probably would have been more drastic with added midbass headroom from the 218 models and in a smaller sealed room, the infrasonics would have really been detected.

In a large open listening room that has openings to other parts of the house or high ceilings, an Echo 18 or two is still probably the smartest choice. But the 218 models can do very well in an open space too, where smaller sealed subwoofers would not have the displacement to keep up.
In addition, Eric was very helpful when I called Reaction Audio and asked him about the JTR 1400 and the Gamma 218 in such a large room:

Jeremy was nice enough to explain to me that the Cap would have the advantage over the 218 in a large 10,000 cf room for creating "tactile feel" in the critical 15-30 Hz range. He said that they test these subs at various outputs. As the wattage increases, the higher LFE frequencies between 30-90 Hz continue to gain SPL porportionate to the increase in signal. However, he said that between 15-30 Hz, subs start to gain less and less SPL due to compression from the driver nearing its excursion limits. He said ported subs benefit from the added port gain in the 15-30 Hz region to compensate for this loss and that's why they often have a more "tactile feel" He said sealed subs with dual drivers in a smaller room would benefit more from room gain which would minimize this difference. However in my situation, I needed all the help I could get between 15-30 Hz and that port gain would be essential.
---------------------------

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2011 Kansas City Subwoofer Meet - Captivator Review:

Here are the individual results, total score, and then the calculated rankings:

PreAudition Ranking: our unauditioned collective expectation of final rank
1. JTR Captivator
2. Seaton Submersive
3. HSU VTF-15H
4. Yamaha CW218V
5. Epik Empire
6. SVS PB-12+
7. Jamo D7
8. Jenson MS500

Cosmetics/Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) Ranking: (fit, finish, size)
1. SVS PB-12 +
2. HSU VTF-15H
3. Epik Empire
4. Seaton Submersive
5. JTR Captivator
6. Jamo D7
7. Yamaha CW218V
8. Jenson MS500

Build Quality Ranking: (inert, heavy, durable, construction quality)
1. JTR Captivator
2. SVS PB-12 +
3. HSU VTF-15H
4. Seaton Submersive
5. Epik Empire
6. Yamaha CW218V
7. Jamo D7sub
8. Jenson MS500

FINAL MUSIC RANKING:
The collective individual scores recorded and averaged during our testing revealed the subs ranked into the following order for finest overall music reproduction ability:
1. Seaton Submersive
2. JTR Captivator
3. HSU VTF-15H
4. Epik Empire
5. SVS PB-12+
6. Yamaha CW218V
7. Jamo D7sub
8. Jenson MS500

FINAL MOVIE RANKING:
The collective individual scores recorded and averaged during our testing revealed the subs ranked into the following order for finest overall movie watching enjoyment:
1. JTR Captivator
2. Seaton Submersive
3. Epik Empire
4. Yamaha CW218V
5. HSU VTF-15H
6. SVS PB-12+
7. Jenson MS500
8. Jamo D7sub

Finally it was time for the Captivator. Involuntary smiles became involuntary laughter. You have to be kidding me. Who turned on the fan? In the winter time you would have a wind chill in this room on bass heavy movies. Rediculous. I don't want to get too carried away here, the difference between the Cap and the Submersive was MUCH closer than the difference between the 2 of them and the Empire and HSU. For me the biggest seperator scene between the Cap and Sumbersive was the plane crash on Knowing, but I did feel that the Cap was better on all the movie scenes.

Which would I take if I could have taken home either the Submersive or the Captivator? Well, I would have gone with the sub that I actually did take home - the Captivator. Yes music is my priority, but to be fair I hadn't experienced that kind of bass feel with movies before and I REALLY liked it. What really excites me is that the Cap was quite a bit better in the "chew up the bass and forget to spit it out" room than the HSU was in my room and there was even a bigger difference between the HSU in my room compared to Archea's room (did you follow all that?). In theory that should mean that the Cap will abolutely crush me in my room.

BTW, the Captivator is so intimidating in person. The pictures of the driver don't really do it justice. In person it looks scary. I drug it down to my basement last night and it's looking great in my room. Pictures and impressions of how it's doing in my room to come.

JTR: Highest wow factor in terms of chest thump and effect. The THX clip was very impressive (loudest and smoothest sounding at the end as more of the low end gets tested). The ports were blasting lots of air forward (evidenced by luke's cap being blown towards the couch from resting near the port on the floor).

My personal ranking of the subs demoed is
1. JTR Captivator
2. Seaton Submersive
3. SVS PB-12 +
4. HSU VTF-15H
5. Epik Empire
6. Jamo D7sub
7. Yamaha CW218V
8. Jensen MS500

Why Did I Rank What Where?

Gold Medal First Prize - Winner by TKO - JTR Captivator
That Captivator moved air about 10 feet to the listening position with the strength of a box fan! I kid you not. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCR9iCsVWCM Just watch the video! This is a sub for men who like to eat their steaks rare. Sure it wasn't perfect, but it was so darn impressive in movies I couldn't help but absolutely fall in love with it. I've never felt bass like that in my entire life. PERIOD. Jeff pushed it harder than he needed to and the fact that he wasn't worried about damaging it means to me that's it's built like a gosh darn tank! On the ScubaSteve2365 demo disk there was one particular LFE video that never made sense to me why it was there. Jeff let us listen to some of the other demos on the captivator sub and I finally understood why the Book of Eli scene is in that section. No other sub I've watched that movie with did it justice. The Captivator brought that scene to life. AMAZING gun blast reproduction! Obviously the Master and Commander scene was amazing and the War of the Worlds scene was absolutely ridiculous. It didn't fail at music either. The Linkin Park and Janet Jackson tracks sounded better on the Captivator than the Submersive. The Captivator moved my wall on the Mia - Ghetto Superstar song like no other sub. It literrally made every one feel like their eyes were bouncing, because the wall my projector screen was mounted to was vibrating so much. The Captivator is just a raw savage beast on tactile output -- expensive!!!, but my favorite if money is no object!

19 out of 20 for music for me - lost a point on the smooth category when the 100hz to 20hz sweep didn't sound 100% smooth like the Jamo D7, Epik Empire, HSU VTF-15H, and Seaton Submersive did)
44.5 out of 45 on movies for me - lost a 1/2 point on the Orphanage scene (SVS and Seaton scored five on that scene for my rating)

JTR Captivator

Just a beast of a sub and looks intimidating as hell in person. I am not sure how much time Jeff had to put this driver in and get on the road, he stated once that the hpf may need to be higher frequency I believe. Jeff pulled amp to give it to Carp, and I got to look in and check it out. If I hit box with my car, the box would win. If I got a running start and a good swing, I could knock out an elephant with the magnet.

Music
Puts the large ported 18" don't have good sq to rest (I use to hate people arguing this with me in car audio days). It was very very good with music and a close second to SubM IMO.

Movies
Well now the room was getting pretty full eating bass all day, and threw up all over me! That driver was moving some serious air. Air shot out at me like I was on an the Indiana Jones amusement ride getting shot at with air darts. Now just like several of us, Jeff pushed it a bit too hard most of the time I felt. This subwoofer with his powerful amp is a no joke ported sub, and even it has its limits. I feel that this passive subwoofer and adding your own amp and hpf to have an amp limited subwoofer is the best buy ported subwoofer offering available at this time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up finding a good deal on a used powered cap that was only a couple months old. I figured it was better than buying a passive and having to properly power it since I would be learning to do something like that for the first time.

With that being said I love my powered cap. I haven't even come close to pushing it to its limits and it fills my entire area with nice bass. My previous hsu vft3-mk3 that I sold to make room for my cap was great in my previous smaller room, but struggled and bottomed out fast in my much larger area now.

I'm good with just one... So I'm sure two will blow you away.
Thanks for the feedback, I'm really excited!

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Archaea, thank you for directing me to your thread where you swapped (2) ported JTR Captivators for (8) sealed UM-18 subs and were able to make a direct comparison between the tactile feel of each alignment. As you know, I was debating between two ported JTR Captivators and two RA Gamma 218's for my open theater space.

Several AVS members recommended ported over sealed for such a large room and said the ported alignment had much more tactile feel. However, it just didn't make intuitive sense that four actively powered sealed 18" drivers wouldn't have more impact than two actively powered drivers assisted by port gain over a narrow range of frequencies. I started to put together this group buy for the Captivators instead of buying the Gamma 218's out of blind faith in other's testimony of their prowess and JTR's reputation for quality. Your thread about the direct experience of going from two ported Cap's to eight sealed 18"s really gave me confidence that I'm making the right decision:

I post simply to provide an update of my experience on these sealed. Last night I spent several hours listening to well known demo clips with the front five subwoofers properly powered -- Results --- I'd quite clearly take my pair of ported 2011 JTR Captivators over those five sealed. The output capacity of my former JTR Captivators is much higher, MUCH higher. The UM18-22 are getting nearly 2,000 watts each. No impedance issues now, yet I can tax out the amps (and therefore the drivers (since the amps tax out at about 2,000 watts per channel which is in line with the peak rating on the UM18-22) long before I get to reference because of my 6dB boost at 20hz PEQ (Q of 2) and my 3dB dynamic EQ LP6, and the fact I like to run my subs 6-10dB hotter than the mains. Because of my room's shape with the baffle wall, once again I'm getting very little boundary gain because my subs are out about 6-8 feet from the cement wall -(since I have a baffle wall) --- therefore even with my PEQ boost and my Dynamic EQ boost, I'm still not flat to 20hz, or below.

When I watch my demo scenes at -8dB with the subs 6-10 dB hot that's about all my amps/subs have in them when just the five are playing along the front wall. I could always run the same demos on the Captivator pair at reference with the subs 6dB hot in my old room and have no troubles with my proper HPF in place. To get to those same volumes - I'd have to cut out all my sealed sub boost and --- well then I'd rather just have the JTR ported Captivators - because I'm completely lost the benefit of the sealed. I've tapped them out, and they are insufficient for my listening preferences. (I know the subs are being fed their limit now because I ran some short 5hz test tones checking for air leaks at 4 signal lights, for like 30 seconds??? --- when I took the sub out after finding a leak - the smell of hot subwoofer/electronics was very present - so I feel comfortable knowing they can't handle much more power if they smell like that so quickly with what power they have currently.) I'm looking forward to @Ricci data-bass test on these UM18-22 to see how they do.
Conclusion: If I only had five of these subs I would be sorely disappointed right now.
@Bassment,Carps right. I only ever had two ported captivators --- but i'm pretty confident it would take at least six, maybe eight sealed UM18-22 to even meet/beat the Caps performance level pretty much regardless. I don't think four would meet or beat in any room/regardless of boundary gain.

Basically, - 2 things ---
1) even though I knew the lay of the land when I started this project - - - I'm surprised by how little output (if you try for a consistently flat FR, and don't get a load of free boundary gain) multiples of these sealed compare to monster ported subs.
2) thank goodness for nearfield

A co-worker who came to visit my place recently said I should ditch the sealed and go back to the Captivators that he had previously heard after listening to both ported caps and all eight sealed. @JDontee visited my new space, and basically said he remembered the 2 ported caps being more savage/tactile than the eight sealed.

But --- back to reality - - the eight sealed UM18-22 fit my need/want, especially with a few near field and will probably stay a long time - I'm just reporting that if I, personally, had less than eight of these UM18-22 - I'd be disappointed with the outcome when compared to my pair of JTR ported Captivators. I'm going to hook up the three sealed nearfield today and get back to enjoying that tactile experience!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We're almost all paid for our initial group order of four Captivator 1400's.

Getting excited about breaking a couple of light bulbs in my house also:

Captivator unscrews light bulb at 25 Hz

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
So it's all official now? How many are you getting?

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So far three people have committed to buy four Captivators for the group buy.

I couldn't help noticing this under the classified section (guess I made the right decision to go for the ported Cap's for my 10,000 cf room):

I have JTR cap s1 for sale. I am selling so I can upgrade to multiple ported captivators. A single s1 is not enough for my space (6000 cf open), and even less so for my future space, but I am a complete basshead. This is a fine sub with no issues, sounds great and digs very deep. I bought it 2 years ago new from JTR. $1850 shipped to lower 48. Located in Nixa Missouri.
One week left until the end of the pre-order sale.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm thinking about selling my DTS-10 and QSC 4050 to get a THIRD Captivator before the pre-sale ends.

As I understand it the DTS has ringing in the higher bass so I got a BFD-1124 notch filter and planned to cross it over around 50-60 Hz (The Danley spec sheet shows +/- 3 db extension from 15 Hz - 60Hz). That means I need something in the front of the room for between 50 Hz and 90 Hz to blend it with my mains, that's why I was considering the four HSU ULF-15's. As sealed subs, they're fast enough to blend with the Martin Logan electrostsats and easy to EQ for the transition between the woofers in the ML's and the DTS.

However, If I'm not going to get any room gain until 11 Hz then the extension of the DTS to 10 Hz may not help me anyway.

The DTS-10 and QSC 4050 are paid for. However, veneering the DTS 10 in Teak to match our theater woodwork is about $600 labor and $200 teak veneer. So about $800 out of pocket to finish. If I sold them, the QSC and DTS-10 are probably worth about $800 each so it would free up about $1,600 for another Captivator-1400.

The four HSU-ULF15's were from a family member that wants me to sell his whole system. He's probably going to give me the HSU's to repay an outstanding debt. I could keep them to use for the upper mid bass between the Martin Logan's and the DTS-10 or sell them for about $700 each. That would definitely pay for a third Captivator if I kept the DTS or a fourth Captivator if I sold the DTS/QSC.

I have to make a decision this weekend as the JTR pre-sale ends next Friday. What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DotJun said:
Oh I didn't know you were keeping the danleys. Im surprised people have advised you to run a tapped horn along with a ported. Most people say you shouldn't ever mix alignments and if absolutely must do so then you should use sealed. Maybe ask in a post about it?
I this a problem because of phase alignment? Am I better off swapping the Danley DTS-10 with a third Cap-1400?

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Setting the DTS under the seats is not possible, we have quarter sawn maple floors on slab .
Looks like I may list my DTS-10 and QSC 4050 to raise funds for a 3'rd Cap.

I'll also talk to my family member about selling his HSU-ULF15's to pay for a 4th.

A lot of this depends upon how soon they sell. The Pre-sale ends Friday 5-15.
Maybe I can work something out with Jeff as the amps have delayed production anyway.

BTW - Here's a picture of the quarter sawn figured teak veneer finish I ordered from JTR for my Cap's.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Setting the DTS under the seats is not possible, we have quarter sawn maple floors on slab .
Looks like I may list my DTS-10 and QSC 4050 to raise funds for a 3'rd Cap.

I'll also talk to my family member about selling his HSU-ULF15's to pay for a 4th.

A lot of this depends upon how soon they sell. The Pre-sale ends Friday 5-15.
Maybe I can work something out with Jeff as the amps have delayed production anyway.

BTW - Here's a picture of the quarter sawn figured teak veneer finish I ordered from JTR for my Cap's.

That looks great and congrats on your purchase! I'd love to hear that many caps someday

·
Registered
70 Posts
I keep thinking about this group buy (in LA too)...even though I just got 2 SubMs a couple months ago...cant help but wonder how 2 of these 18"s would sound in my livingroom.

I got to stop reading these boards!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts