AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sealed 1100 cubic feet home theater room, that needs an subwoofer.

I wants a subwoofer that plays very well with both music and movie, and I like low frequencys with punch.

After lot of reading on internet, this is the three speakers I have come down to:

JTR Captivator S1 VS Seaton SubMersive Subwoofer VS FunkAudio 18.1

Does anyone have experience with this three subs, and which do you recommend and why (pro, cons)?

What works best one 15'' sub with two drives and 1KW amp like Seaton SubMersive, or a 18'' sub with one drive and 2.4KW amp like JTR Captivator S1 ?

In a small room like my sealed 1100 cubic feet home theater, is it enough with one sub or should I have two?

Will it be to much with two large subs as over.

Thanks for all answer

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the price is very similar on all the speakers over. I will go with the speaker with the best sound for music and HT, nice finish, and can go deep. Thats why I want to hear the peoples experience with this speakers.

Do F25 have multi voltage amplifier, I can not see the technical data?

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
In one of the sub shootouts the new S1 was compared directly to the SubMersive HP, it was pretty even from what I remember reading with the SubM HP just barely being the preferred sub for music and the Cap S1 slighty beating out the SubM HP as the preferred movie sub.

I'm sure it was in this thread if you care to give it a read.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387178/archaeas-kansas-city-blind-subwoofer-shootout-2012

·
Banned
8,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartvidar  /t/1470345/jtr-captivator-s1-vs-seaton-submersive-subwoofer-vs-funkaudio-18-1#post_23254835

I think the price is very similar on all the speakers over. I will go with the speaker with the best sound for music and HT, nice finish, and can go deep. Thats why I want to hear the peoples experience with this speakers.

Pick one, Home Theater or Music as despite what you and others might say, one can only have one and the other choice will have to live with the first choice. In the end, they're all good so the question becomes moot.

How loud do you expect your sound system to go? What's your budget? What's your plan? What are your expectations?

(When you ask about multi-voltage, are you asking if the subs have 120/240v, 50/60Hz capability?)

Where are you located? Have you given the manufactures a call?

-

·
Registered
14,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15  /t/1470345/jtr-captivator-s1-vs-seaton-submersive-subwoofer-vs-funkaudio-18-1#post_23254987

While I think the F25 is a good sub, IMO it's not in the same league as a SubMersive HP or Cap S1.

I agree, but how much does one need for 1100^3 room? Also, how can you assume that being there is very little data on the F25? what we do know is the F25 is going to be similar to the FV15HP around 20hz, actually -1db, but more than likely will have 3-4db gain outside of the FV15HP's port tune. So yea roughly 125-127db output with Extension down to the single digits and Rythmiks sealed subs are highly praised for being musical...so thats why I put that option out there. Its all up the the end user and the F25 might suit the op's needs, not to mention could save him a grand in the end.

·
Registered
14,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartvidar  /t/1470345/jtr-captivator-s1-vs-seaton-submersive-subwoofer-vs-funkaudio-18-1#post_23254835

Do F25 have multi voltage amplifier, I can not see the technical data?

You can always contact Brian @ Rythmik...Also Fwiw I do not own any Rythmik subs, I actually own a pair of PSA XV15's, so I am offering you a unbiased opinion. If I had a unlimited budget to drop on subwoofers I would get a JTR Captivator or Seaton HP, however I am betting a Rythmik F25 would do very well in that room and save you some coin. the Seaton and Rythmik will be very comparable in sound quality... Once you appraoch the 125-127db levels and still want more, well then Seaton may be the way to go. The general consensus around here is that most folks will recomend products that are more capable than a persons ears will tolerate. All three options you listed plus the Rythmik will achieve that...after that its all about bragging rights. Do you want the Corvette ZR1 that cost $125,000 and is capable of 190mph, or do you want the $250,000+ Lambo that will do 200mph?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Instead of one massive sub, why not just go with two big subs. You might just go with two Rythmik FV15s or Two Hsu VTF15h subs. That will have a tremendous amount of output in that room, and it would do more to fight cancellation nulls. You might also think about Hsu ULS-15s and Rythmik F15HPs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1470345/jtr-captivator-s1-vs-seaton-submersive-subwoofer-vs-funkaudio-18-1#post_23256497

Instead of one massive sub, why not just go with two big subs. You might just go with two Rythmik FV15s or Two Hsu VTF15h subs. That will have a tremendous amount of output in that room, and it would do more to fight cancellation nulls. You might also think about Hsu ULS-15s and Rythmik F15HPs.

In a 1100cft sealed room, how will two Rythmik FV15s subs work compare to one JTR captivator s1? Will the JTR captivator s1 still beet the **** out of the Rythmic?

I can see the Rythmic have a selector switch for 110/230 volt, so the Rythmic sub can be actual. Its difficult to decide what to go for. I think I will either go for JTR captivator s1 or two Rythmik FV15. In according to Seaton web side they dont deliver the HP with 2.4kw amp in 230 volt, but JTR deliver 2.4kw amp in 230 volt. So then I will go for JTR if I buy one large sub, insted of two smaller subs. I dont have budget, so I just buy what I want.

·
Registered
14,581 Posts
Ok so now we are talking about ported subs and 2 at that...Op Contact Brian @ Rythmik and see what he recomends. If your biased towards music then Brian will most likely recomend a sealed sub. I would still look at a F25, in a small room like yours dual subs may not be needed. the point of dual subs is to smooth out the bass response, especially in larger rooms. Again contact the manufacturers for advice.

·
Registered
20,181 Posts
Small sealed rooms beg for sealed subs. I am not so sure any one sealed sub will deliver 127 dBs though, especially down low, good luck with that. They all will have similar displacement with the funk nudging the CapS1 and I am not sure about the submersive. If you up your budget to the CapS2 you will never look back and second guess yourself. You could build one awesome DIY sub as well right now that would have more dispalcement than all but that is another whole ballgame. If I were you I would go CapS2 and never look back. A High excursion sealed sub will get you flat to low single digits in that room or a ported sub can give you higher spl in the 17hz and above range. It all depends on if the sealed sub can go loud enough for you in that same range, if it can go full bandwidth.

·
Registered
756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458  /t/1470345/jtr-captivator-s1-vs-seaton-submersive-subwoofer-vs-funkaudio-18-1#post_23255184

Pick one, Home Theater or Music as despite what you and others might say, one can only have one and the other choice will have to live with the first choice. In the end, they're all good so the question becomes moot.-

This is crazy talk. Any of the subs he mentioned will provide great sound quality for both "music" and "home theater" use. Why settle for one when you can afford to get the best of both worlds?

·
Registered
14,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1470345/jtr-captivator-s1-vs-seaton-submersive-subwoofer-vs-funkaudio-18-1#post_23257947

Small sealed rooms beg for sealed subs. I am not so sure any one sealed sub will deliver 127 dBs though, especially down low, good luck with that. They all will have similar displacement with the funk nudging the CapS1 and I am not sure about the submersive. If you up your budget to the CapS2 you will never look back and second guess yourself. You could build one awesome DIY sub as well right now that would have more dispalcement than all but that is another whole ballgame. If I were you I would go CapS2 and never look back. A High excursion sealed sub will get you flat to low single digits in that room or a ported sub can give you higher spl in the 17hz and above range. It all depends on if the sealed sub can go loud enough for you in that same range, if it can go full bandwidth.

the xs30 from psa is capable of 126-128db @ 2m in the 40-63hz range. thats right were you want your output for MUSIC! I would think the f25 and the other 3 subs mentioned should be able achieve that easily...especially in that small room. fwiw my xv15's hit 122db @ 30hz from my listening posistion according to my radio shack spl meter uncorrected...that would be 125db corrected and still had some head room left. that was playing a bass mekanik cd. of course below 20hz not many subs are going to achieve those levels, well maybe the funk audio 18.2 will get close. what is it rated at 117db from 5-20hz?

·
Registered
20,181 Posts
Well, When I look at output I want it to be flat to the lowest frequency I need so when someone says 127 dBs I don't want just a small range, I want it to 5-10hz as well and why I said no sub can do that. It takes multiples of most. Hell, I was playing Bass I love you at 120 dBs on my meter and that was 7-15hz. I am not sure what that was corrected but it was cool.

OP, pick which ever is smallest, cheapest, or best looking as they all would do great. My opinion is save some money and get the S2. Even a single ported Cap will get you to 15hz in that room with lots of output. I guess it depends on your goals.

·
Registered
14,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1470345/jtr-captivator-s1-vs-seaton-submersive-subwoofer-vs-funkaudio-18-1#post_23258332

Well, When I look at output I want it to be flat to the lowest frequency I need so when someone says 127 dBs I don't want just a small range, I want it to 5-10hz as well and why I said no sub can do that. It takes multiples of most. Hell, I was playing Bass I love you at 120 dBs on my meter and that was 7-15hz. I am not sure what that was corrected but it was cool.

OP, pick which ever is smallest, cheapest, or best looking as they all would do great. My opinion is save some money and get the S2. Even a single ported Cap will get you to 15hz in that room with lots of output. I guess it depends on your goals.

damn thats some serious output!! you must have to listen with a meter because surely you have no ears left

I believe I hit 115db at 15hz corrected...my subs are wimpy compared to yours lol.

·
Registered
20,181 Posts
NO, I just have 12. My max at my LP with sine waves is 127.5 dBs at 10hz with 10% THD. I pushed it to 130 dBs with 12% THD. It will go louder with regular movie or peak program as sine waves are much harder to do.

·
Registered
14,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1470345/jtr-captivator-s1-vs-seaton-submersive-subwoofer-vs-funkaudio-18-1#post_23258415

NO, I just have 12. My max at my LP with sine waves is 127.5 dBs at 10hz with 10% THD. I pushed it to 130 dBs with 12% THD. It will go louder with regular movie or peak program as sine waves are much harder to do.

what subs do you have?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.