AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered 3 triple 12 ht spk & was wondering if anyone like me upgraded from the triple 8s. Is the 12s more dynamic than the 8s,I think they might be,but the 8s are very good also I just had to have the 12s!! Also does the triple 12 ht accept std bannana plugs? thanks

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
I had an earlier generation of the 888s and the 12s are definitely more dynamic. I believe the 2010 version of the 888s is supposed to level the playing field a little bit. Still the 12s will go deeper and have more displacement.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
dholmes, answered on the jtr forum too but yes the binding posts on the 2010 Trip8s will accept standard banana plugs, just not the kind that are connected together. Or if they are just connected with that plastic clip, snap that off. The binding posts are spaced about 2.5" apart from center to center. Make sense?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 /forum/post/16914153

I just ordered 3 triple 12 ht spk & was wondering if anyone like me upgraded from the triple 8s. Is the 12s more dynamic than the 8s,I think they might be,but the 8s are very good also I just had to have the 12s!! Also does the triple 12 ht accept std bannana plugs? thanks

Yes, Triple 12HT's are way more dynamic than T-8's. Much much larger woofer section and a lot more dynamic punch. Drawback is that to control those three 12" pro drivers, a good solid kilowatt per channel thru them (at 4) is the happy point where they start to wake up and get happy. Face Audio F-1200TS is a good match for an amp.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundood /forum/post/16921807

Yes, Triple 12HT's are way more dynamic than T-8's. Much much larger woofer section and a lot more dynamic punch. Drawback is that to control those three 12" pro drivers, a good solid kilowatt per channel thru them (at 4) is the happy point where they start to wake up and get happy. Face Audio F-1200TS is a good match for an amp.

Hi, I know awhile ago you had 888s mated with Growlers. How did that combo compare to 12LF?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
T8/Growler combo is more dynamic again but WAY more complex. 2x the amps, plus an additional crossover and all the integration issues. It definitely works but is far more complicated. The idea for the 12LF came from the solution to the complexity issue. Nowadays, with the price of the Growler gone up, I'd put you into Danley TH-Mini midbass subs which are smaller, quicker and cleaner (truly staggering dynamics and output in about 1/2 the size)

For that kind of money, I'd consider Danley SH-100B or SH-50. Big step beyond T12LF with the dynamic punch of a Growler or TH-Mini built in, plus far better pattern control. TH-50 is unbelievably smooth and transparent. Next step up in price but worth it if you have the space and can invest the funds. They are a final purchase for most people which is why you NEVER see them used.

·
Registered
7,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundood /forum/post/16922737

T8/Growler combo is more dynamic again but WAY more complex. 2x the amps, plus an additional crossover and all the integration issues. It definitely works but is far more complicated. The idea for the 12LF came from the solution to the complexity issue. Nowadays, with the price of the Growler gone up, I'd put you into Danley TH-Mini midbass subs which are smaller, quicker and cleaner (truly staggering dynamics and output in about 1/2 the size)

For that kind of money, I'd consider Danley SH-100B or SH-50. Big step beyond T12LF with the dynamic punch of a Growler or TH-Mini built in, plus far better pattern control. TH-50 is unbelievably smooth and transparent. Next step up in price but worth it if you have the space and can invest the funds. They are a final purchase for most people which is why you NEVER see them used.

Your opinions on products seem to line up very nicely with what you happen to be selling.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! /forum/post/16924065

Your opinions on products seem to line up very nicely with what you happen to be selling.

Well, uh, yeah! I am a Danley dealer, says so right there above Dan Halen.

I make no excuses nor try to hide the fact that I am enthusiastic about the product lines I sell (JTR was one of them and I was accused of the same thing with that line). Remember, for a long time I was a Danley dealer AND I was the original JTR Home Theater dealer and the guy who brought the line to the forum. It is amusing to remember the ridicule and push back I received about those "ugly pro sound reinforcement speakers with the big woofers that couldn't possibly sound good". I got some nasty PM's in the beginning about how they probably sound like crap. Now there are multiple discussion threads about how great they are. Vindication is sweet!

I also happen to actually have personal experience with that particular combo (T-8/Growler) AND I have substituted in the Danley TH-Mini in place of the Growler. It is smaller, tighter and faster versus the Growler. Both have virtually the same specs. The size (24 x 15 x 22.5 versus 30"x20"x22.5) makes it easier to place and the Tapped horn subs have always sounded cleaner. Initially, the TH-Mini was far more costly at $1249 versus $899, but now the price difference is smaller with the Growler now being $999. These days, if I was recommending a main/midbass combo, the TH-Mini/SH-100 system is a formidable foe to the T-8/Growler system and they are virtually identical in price. The point I was making is that a midbass sub system is going to be much more costly and difficult to set up versus a single speaker like the T12. If you WERE going to spend that kind of additional money, I was recommending folks go into one of the bigger Danley products which are the next step up the food chain in performance.

Look, I have a lot of respect for what JTR has achieved. Jeff has a kick ass product for a price that, even though higher than it used to be, would still be 3x-4x as much if it had a B&W logo on it. But there *are* better products available if you have a higher budget. The next level up the food chain in performance that still has that level of tremendous value is Danley. Lot of guys who started with more traditional consumer products are moving into the JTRs which is a good thing. It introduces them to the world of the high dynamic range refined loudspeaker. At some point, when they are ready to go up into the next level beyond that, Danley is one they should consider. People are free to listen to any of the aforementioned products themselves and make up their own minds.

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
I have no issue with Danley. I like both the company and the products. I do have a problem with gorilla marketing on forums by dealers.

You did bring some attention to the JTR products via your forum posting but for me, your enthusiasm made me even more cautious than usual. I did not decide to purchase JTR’s until I heard them myself. Not everyone has that opportunity so they tend to go with the online testimonial of others.

I would just caution opinion seekers regarding the statements and opinions of dealers. This is especially important when the dealers are commenting on products they formerly represented.

To the OP, sorry for the OT ...

·
Registered
1,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! /forum/post/16924940

I have no issue with Danley. I like both the company and the products. I do have a problem with gorilla marketing via forums by dealers.

You did bring some attention to the JTR products via your forum posting but for me, your enthusiasm made me even more cautious than usual. I did not decide to purchase JTR's until I heard them myself. Not everyone has that opportunity so they tend to go with the online testimonial of others.

I would just caution opinion seekers regarding the statements and opinions of dealers. This is especially important when the dealers are commenting on products they formerly represented.

To the OP, sorry for the OT ...

And, as you can see by the fact you now own them, I was right. Again, I won't apologize for being enthusiastic about a product line. Thing that separates me from most dealers is that I do it as a hobby. I have other companies which make me plenty of money. If I don't sell a single product in a year, makes no difference to me...so I'm free to sell what I think actually is better and to take a chance on lines like JTR and Face Audio (completely unknown and about as polar opposite from the typical home theater equipment as you can get). I never said the JTR was bad...far from it, they are ridiculously good which is why I pushed so hard to get the forum to take a chance on them. As people did that and realized how good they actually are, the word has spread, which is gratifying. I only said that somebody who has the budget to spend more has other options that are higher performance even beyond the JTR. Same deal, they should do their research. If they choose to go that route, so be it. If they choose to stop and keep the JTR as a final lifetime purchase, cool with me.

Yes, no longer a JTR dealer. JTR went ID so no more dealers. I wish them success.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 /forum/post/16929227

I have a ATI amp 300 watt x7 at 8 ohms 450 at 4 ohms it should drive them ok.

Definitely , I got plenty of output with an Adcom 5503 which is rated 200 watts x 3 at 8ohms and 350 at 4 ohms. A doubling of amplifier power gets you an extra 3db. I went from the amp mentioned to swap in a Face 700 to a QSC 3402 which does an honest 1000 just to compare the gain in watts. Smoother sound and obviously no clipping issues but not a night and day difference to say the least.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc /forum/post/16928125

Soundood I tried to long onto your website awile ago but nothin. Where ya at these days?

Still around. I took the site down for a revamp and a change over to another hosting company. Been so busy with one of my other companies and I picked up another passion (bought a Ducati and spend too much time shopping for moto gear). It has been back burnered for longer than I intended. I should probably just pay somebody to take care of it but I'm too hands on.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundood /forum/post/16921807

The Triple 12LF produces 100db with 1 watt. How large of amplifier needed depends on room size, speaker's sensitivity and consumers desired output level.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts