AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like im getting alot of judder while watching netflix through my ps4. Is it normal to get judder from a plasma hdtv?

·
Banned
385 Posts
Plasma judders with cadence changes so if you are doing 3:2 pull down yes you will definitely see judder if you look for it, the better the motion resolution the panel has the more you will notice and probably be bothered by it

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadThunder  /t/1524529/judder#post_24536469

Plasma judders with cadence changes so if you are doing 3:2 pull down yes you will definitely see judder if you look for it, the better the motion resolution the panel has the more you will notice and probably be bothered by it
What is 3:2 pulldown? So the better the tv handles motion then the more judder i will see?

·
Banned
385 Posts

Quote:
What is 3:2 pulldown?
It's where one frame is played twice and the following frame three times in a 2/3/2/3 fashion, it's so 24 frame film can fit into 60 hz operating mode. I recommend outputting 1080/24p from the player and let the tv handle it with "cinema smooth" or whatever samsung calls it assuming that is what you have
Quote:
So the better the tv handles motion then the more judder i will see?
Unless you are watching video at 48hz(2:2 pulldown), 72hz(3:3 pulldown), 96hz(4:4 pulldown) modes OR using interpolation the frames won't always fit so nicely.

What I said about motion resolution is a bit different but related, if you take a VT60 and feed in a game at 30 frames(2:2 cadence) it will look like a slide show because the hold time is incredibly low on the latest Panasonics, and yet 60 frames will look silky smooth.. its a complex topic

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadThunder  /t/1524529/judder#post_24538001

It's where one frame is played twice and the following frame three times in a 2/3/2/3 fashion, it's so 24 frame film can fit into 60 hz operating mode. I recommend outputting 1080/24p from the player and let the tv handle it with "cinema smooth" or whatever samsung calls it assuming that is what you have

Unless you are watching video at 48hz(2:2 pulldown), 72hz(3:3 pulldown), 96hz(4:4 pulldown) modes OR using interpolation the frames won't always fit so nicely.

What I said about motion resolution is a bit different but related, if you take a VT60 and feed in a game at 30 frames(2:2 cadence) it will look like a slide show because the hold time is incredibly low on the latest Panasonics, and yet 60 frames will look silky smooth.. its a complex topic
Yes i have samsung pn51f5300. Im not sure if the ps4 can output 1080p/24, it says 1080p/60 when i press info. Im so new to all this info. I apologize. Also not sure if the samsung has cinema mode. I have it set on standard now. I have a movie mode and dynamic mode also.

So basically the judder is from the source not my tv being defective?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Judder when the camera slowly pans from one side too the other is normal on my plasma from everything I've read..There is judder I get on sports when the camera moves fast.I'm not sure if this is normal...There is also judder/blocks and cut outs on the screen when the cable reception has a low signal.The cable company usually will try too fix this.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic12345  /t/1524529/judder#post_24538970

Judder when the camera slowly pans from one side too the other is normal on my plasma from everything I've read..There is judder I get on sports when the camera moves fast.I'm not sure if this is normal...There is also judder/blocks and cut outs on the screen when the cable reception has a low signal.The cable company usually will try too fix this.
Ok. Well seems like its just the way it is. It bothered the f outta me at first but im used to it now. Beats the hell outta watching the blur on my lcd 60hz. Haha

·
Banned
385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma5300  /t/1524529/judder#post_24538807

Yes i have samsung pn51f5300. Im not sure if the ps4 can output 1080p/24, it says 1080p/60 when i press info. Im so new to all this info. I apologize. Also not sure if the samsung has cinema mode. I have it set on standard now. I have a movie mode and dynamic mode also.

Its not in the source its because your eye is not seeing what it is expecting, if you have a home theater pc madVR can simulate proper cadence almost perfectly at 60 hz with its smooth motion feature and that is what I use

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma5300  /t/1524529/judder#post_24538807

Check under video settings.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/settings/videosettings.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts