AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if many of you know this movie, but IMO it is one of the very best of the nineties. Of course the story has a lot of depth and potential, but the director and cast are terrific.

Unfortunately, the movie has been very badly treated on DVD. The R2 edition was full-frame (I don't know if it is open-matte or pan-and-scan). Now, USA Films releases this in region 1 and check out the features:

Full Frame - 1.33:1

Single Side - Single Layer

Additional Release Material: Featurette

Unbelievable.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Hi Grubert,

You mean the one with Kate Winslet? I got a Japanese R2 DVD long time ago. The picture is excellent in anamorphic. I need to check the sound format though.

The movie is too sad for me to re-watch. Or maybe I should...

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that one. I agree, it's very sad, but a great movie nonetheless.

Thanks for the tip on the Japanese edition. As long as it's widescreen anamorphic I don't care too much about the sound. I'll go check cdjapan.

Regards.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Pathetic. This film is unwatchable panned & scanned. I know because I tried to do it. There is a non-anamorphic letterboxed transfer available and for USA not to use it is pathetic. F*** them.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent! Thanks Jeroen! You know, our tastes in cinema are not so different (if we don't count Whit Stillman, that is ;) ).

For anyone who likes the movie, the $$$ for the Japanese edition may definitely be worth it.

As regards the book, I downloaded the ebook ages ago but never find the time to read it.

Regards.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
So how about some big screen captures from Kate's full frontal nude scene? :D Now THOSE would be worth posting on my website.

Where is "Krankor"? Forgive me if this should be a no=brainer.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeroen
I own the r2j as well. I don't agree with li on that it's excellent though. There's a lot of ee and shimmering/moire.

But it's still much better than the ld, and i love the japanese trailer.
Hi jeroen,

You're right about the r2j PQ. I found the DVD last night and watched a bit. PQ is not as good as I though but then I haven't touched the DVD for over 2 years. Yes, sound is in DD5.1 and the DVD is dual layers format.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I know I watched this taped off of cable panned-and-scammed. A pretty good film, but, like so much of Hardy, bleak, bleak, bleak.

The man wrote absolutely incredible poetry, incidentally. It was his first love, but he knew he could not make a living at it.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

It seems the specs given by several retailers were wrong and the R1 DVD is non-anamorphic widescreen. EDIT: Confirmed by looking at the back cover scan on DVD Planet.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Well, that is at least better than pan & scammed. And I can look at Kate all naked and yummy. :D

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think it's harder to find a movie where Winslet doesn't show anything. :D

Now that you mention that, Matt, on Titanic you can see much more Kate skin on the 1.33:1 VHS than on the 2.35:1 DVD (ah, the magic of Super35):

WARNING: links to nude pictures

Capture from VHS

Capture from DVD

This sparked a heated debate on a Spanish forum against advocates of OAR and partisans of open matte whenever removing the matte reveals more nudity. :rolleyes:

Ah, I forgot, jeroen. Thanks for the picture. I'm deeply moved.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
16X9? NOW I am interested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.