Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9983116-1.html

Rumored Xbox 360 dashboard update to use motion control

July 2, 2008 12:35 PM PDT

Posted by Jeff Bakalar

Quote:
With Sony releasing version 2.40 of the PlayStation 3 firmware today, it's no surprise that talk about a new Xbox 360 dashboard update has surfaced.

Aside from the normal list of technical updates, this rumored dashboard update will supposedly incorporate an entire new graphical user interface as well. Right now reports point towards a sort of 3D experience, deviating from the current "blade" system. There's also talk that this alternative GUI will take advantage of some sort of motion-control device yet-to-be-announced by Microsoft.

Kotaku describes the new interface as a nod to the control scheme in the film Minority Report--and now it seems that they were really on to something. They're reporting that the company responsible for the new dashboard design involves the man who actually helped create the motion-controlled effects in the 2002 film. Small world.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Will be interesting to see (1) if an update is in the works at all and if so (2) how much of a change it actually winds up being.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sounds awesome.

I'd be surprised though if they implemented something that drastic for the 360 instead of saving it for their next system.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay /forum/post/14210491

Thought there wasnt going to be a Spring update?

It is officially Summer. So they didn't lie.

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
Any updates?

Mike

·
Registered
9,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI /forum/post/14755875

Any updates?

Mike

yep, motion control will be implemented AND used in a new peripheral.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA /forum/post/14770404

Great. We'll get a clunky sensor bar for Wii-like games.

Not too mention we will get a library of really crappy 3rd party games..that attempt to cash in on the novelty of "ooooh inaccurate motion detection"

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
"Great. We'll get a clunky sensor bar for Wii-like games."

Yeah, that bar that I put on top of my TV two years ago that hasn't moved has been such a huge pain in my ass!

"Not too mention we will get a library of really crappy 3rd party games."

And the 360 is somehow immune to crap 3rd party games as it currently stands? Or are you of such weak will that you purchase any old thing placed in front of you, regardless of quality?

·
Registered
9,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by admonish /forum/post/14770808

maybe i am just slow, but are you being sarcastic?

nope... it's all been announced already... made a huge deal out of it @ E3

·
Registered
3,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by admonish /forum/post/14770808

maybe i am just slow, but are you being sarcastic?

The only motion control peripheral officially announced (by the company that is making it and not Microsoft) so far is a knock-off of the Wii nunchuks that is going to be available on PS3 and 360. It will use two sensor bars instead of the single one that the Wii has. There is also some lightsaber-esque remote that has surfaced on the various gaming sites but Microsoft is totally silent on the overall motion control issue. Someone from Microsoft did say that motion control would be part of the new Banjo Kazooie but it wasn't anything more than that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts