AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PC World's report, which I'm sure is not entirely accurate due to bad information from the mfrs., hype, uncertainty, etc....

* Samsung's 70", year end $30,000... When the 80" ships, it will also be $30,000 -- but it could be 2 years away. [I don't believe the 70" ships this year, based on Samsung's history, but we'll see.]

* LG says 71" by mid-summer, 76" by year end. No pricing yet. [I believe neither date... Maybe autumn for the 71"? Just a guess, however....]

* Samsung 46" LCD June this year [Even though it's still hard to buy the 40"; we'll see.] 57" next year, not this year. No pricing.

* LG 55" LCD due in Q3, no pricing. [Again, I don't believe it. But that's becoming a pattern here. :)]

* Sharp 45" LCD this summer, along with new 37" and also new 26" (is the 30" going away?!?). [OK, this one, I actually believe. Sharp ships, others show off whose "thing" is biggest.]

* Samsung 50" wireless plasma this summer (except power cord). $13,000. [Cool, but hardly worth thousands of dollars in my mind.]

No word on ship dates for the BenQ 46" LCD or the Westinghouse 47" LCD that were also shown at CES... Figure we got to see a bunch of these by fall for sure, but maybe several by summer... LG's 42" perhaps a bit sooner; it's also in Sony's 42" LCD, which I was told would be $13,000 and has the "floating frame" look.

Mark

·
Registered
691 Posts
Thanks Mark for all your information. I find it facinating. Everybody has to have a hobby and all this is obviously yours. Mine, well, is taking naps in front of the TV.

Mike

·
Registered
691 Posts
Tim. There's just something about the "droning" of human voices that can put you to sleep.

Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by squidd99
Oh. I get it. You watch Fox News, too.
That is more like CNN.

·
Registered
15 Posts
With these large sizes and absurd price tags, would we not be better off with projection instead?

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike52
Thanks Mark for all your information. I find it facinating. Everybody has to have a hobby and all this is obviously yours. Mine, well, is taking naps in front of the TV.

Mike
I concurr. But would like to add that there is no better channel to sleep to, than the western channel of Encore. Between the dramatic music scores , the galoping horses, the indian wow wow cries, the colt45 and winchester shots, this masterpiece of post ww2 americana is the most effective way to lull your subconcious into extreme relaxation. Try it.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Droning = CNN.

Ranting = Fox News.

Best soporific = MSNBC.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I saw this on yahoo's financial Sony (SNE) message board and thought you guys might be interested. The link didn't work so I didn't copy over here.

Samsung SDI Unveils 80-Inch PDP

KOREATIMES

Samsung SDI on Tuesday announced it has developed the world's first 80-inch plasma display panel (PDP) module, just three months after rival LG Electronics succeeded in making a 76-inch PDP television.

According to Samsung SDI, the new module is the biggest display developed so far, including PDP, LCD, and traditional CRT (cathode-ray tube) TVs.

The display manufacturer also said it acquired multi-panel production technology in the process of the development through which four 40-inch PDP panels can be made from one 80-inch glass sheet, thus greatly improving productivity.

The 80-inch PDP, which is only 89 millimeters thick, fully supports high-definition (HD) broadcasting with 1,920x1,080 pixel resolution. It also has a brightness quality of 1,000 candelas per square meter and a contrast ratio of 2,000-to-1, which means the brightest spot is 2,000 times brighter than the darkest spot on the panel.

``With the new 80-inch model, we obtained absolute comparative advantage over competitors in terms of quality, manufacturing capabilities and market portion,'' Bae Chul-han, vice president of Samsung SDI, said. ``Our multi-panel production technology will increase our dominance in the PDP market.''

The company expects the huge TVs to be installed in public places such as airports, train stations and conference halls.

The new model will be rolled out from the second half of this year at the company's third PDP assembly line, which is currently under construction in Chonan, South Chungchong Province.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Does this mean that the new 40" panel would be 1/4 hd resolution (960x540)? That would be a first for plasma!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.