AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks.

I lurked here for a while during my quest to find the right tv. After a bunch of hrs of reading around the web, I decided on the Panny. Being a noob and having OCD and ADD.. things like different contrast ratios and calibration made the decision a little harder than normal!! lol.
Then add some of the lcd technology.. 120 hz etc.. decisions decisions...
I swear I looked at 25 or more sets at different stores. For me, seeing the picture after the research sealed the deal. I was hung up on the 85 series because of the higher contrast but I read here at AVS that it was not that huge of a difference between the two. My good friend has a Pioneer Elite and the picture is pretty amazing but unfortunately I am on a budget so I had to go with my second choice. I was originally going to go with the 42/85 but thru a little bit of effort and the help of the community here, I went with the 46PZ80. It was on sale at Sears for 200 less than CC. This is my first plasma and I have wanted one for years! I was a little worried about the greens after reading some of David Katzmaier's reviews but again after reading some of the posts here, and seeing the real picture I was sold.

I haven't bought a calibration disc yet and I see how annoyed that some of the pros get when people are lazy and ask for calibration settings handed to them. I can understand the frustration because each persons room lighting / and picture preferences are going to be pretty unique. I have been playing with the controls some but I am a little leery right now because I am worried about image retention. I need to do some more work on learning about break in for my set. For now I have been following some of the things I have read here.. No DOGS and such unless transparent and dont use vivid mode. No video games..

Well I have rambled enough. I am excited to become a part of the community here and to finally have my TV!

If anyone can give a pointer or two concerning breaking the set in I would appreciate it.

thanks for the help!

lucky013

·
Registered
2,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky013 /forum/post/15512016

Hello folks.

I lurked here for a while during my quest to find the right tv. After a bunch of hrs of reading around the web, I decided on the Panny. Being a noob and having OCD and ADD.. things like different contrast ratios and calibration made the decision a little harder than normal!! lol.
Then add some of the lcd technology.. 120 hz etc.. decisions decisions...
I swear I looked at 25 or more sets at different stores. For me, seeing the picture after the research sealed the deal. I was hung up on the 85 series because of the higher contrast but I read here at AVS that it was not that huge of a difference between the two. My good friend has a Pioneer Elite and the picture is pretty amazing but unfortunately I am on a budget so I had to go with my second choice. I was originally going to go with the 42/85 but thru a little bit of effort and the help of the community here, I went with the 46PZ80. It was on sale at Sears for 200 less than CC. This is my first plasma and I have wanted one for years! I was a little worried about the greens after reading some of David Katzmaier's reviews but again after reading some of the posts here, and seeing the real picture I was sold.

I haven't bought a calibration disc yet and I see how annoyed that some of the pros get when people are lazy and ask for calibration settings handed to them. I can understand the frustration because each persons room lighting / and picture preferences are going to be pretty unique. I have been playing with the controls some but I am a little leery right now because I am worried about image retention. I need to do some more work on learning about break in for my set. For now I have been following some of the things I have read here.. No DOGS and such unless transparent and dont use vivid mode. No video games..

Well I have rambled enough. I am excited to become a part of the community here and to finally have my TV!

If anyone can give a pointer or two concerning breaking the set in I would appreciate it.

thanks for the help!

lucky013

Well, let me be the first to say,

Welcome to AVS!!!

As far as break-in goes,

Are you using the Break-in Disk/jpgs?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the warm welcome! I don't have a disc. If it is a must I am going to have to find one somewhere. I must have skipped that part when reading about the break in period!

thanks for the heads up !

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Its really up to you.

If you want, just try to watch content that fills the screen during the first 100-150 hours or so.

avoid sports tickers for long periods of time, etc.

Read this post and learn more.

------> click me

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found the dvd download.. I am going to d/l and run that as directed.

Is playing PS3 games safe after the break in period?

thanks,

BS

·
Registered
2,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky013 /forum/post/15516812

I found the dvd download.. I am going to d/l and run that as directed.

Is playing PS3 games safe after the break in period?

thanks,

BS

have you got your pixel shifter (anti IR/burn-in features) turned on??

And yes, play away! just don't play for 2 days straight withut stopping.lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts