AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my LG Blu-Ray drive yesterday and downloaded PowerDVD 8, so I'm back in the HTPC game. Got a few things I wanted to run by people.

- I loaded up The Dark Knight last night, and while it didn't look bad by any means, I dunno it just looked a little different from a stand alone I watched it on. It definitely seemed darker (than usual for this movie,) and the skin tones seemed darker. I adjusted the PowerDVD color profile to "Theater" and that seemed to put it much closer to how I remembered it, but if anyone has any general calibration tips for PowerDVD to get the best picture possible, that would be great. I run through HDMI w/ a 46" LCD 1080p Sony Bravia if it's relevant.

- I'm looking to backup some of my DVD's to the PC, and I was looking for some direction on how to maximize the PQ of watching backed up movies on the PC? My plan is to rip using AutoGK to xvid w/ the DD 5.1 track. Is referrign to the ffdshow thread above the best overall method, or are there any other tips/tricks I should be aware of for xvid specifically?

- And lastly, any word on PowerDVD 9? I would think they'd say something at CES. Thanks for any input that can be provided.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
I wouldn't change settings inside powerDVD.

Was the standalone on your TV?

Was the TV you watched it on calibrated?

Is your TV calibrated?

What's your OS?

What's your video card?

How is your video card wired (native DVI port, native HDMI port)?

There are a crap ton of issues in getting BD playback correct.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was the standalone on your TV? - Yes

Is your TV calibrated? - Just using settings on this site from other people

What's your OS? - Vista

What's your video card? - ATI 4870

How is your video card wired (native DVI port, native HDMI port)? - DVI to HDMI adaptor on the card.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 /forum/post/15476616

Was the standalone on your TV? - Yes

Is your TV calibrated? - Just using settings on this site from other people

What's your OS? - Vista

What's your video card? - ATI 4870

How is your video card wired (native DVI port, native HDMI port)? - DVI to HDMI adaptor on the card.

If you've got the latest drivers for the 4870 it allows you to set pixel format, it's important to know what you are outputting. If your video card is putting out PC levels (0-255) and your TV is setup for Studio (video, 16-235) the PC output will look too dark.

ATI cards always clip BTB and WTW.

I'd download the iso from here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

The very first test is for black level, you shouldn't be able to see anything below 16 (and you never will with ATI), but 20 should be visible, 18 should be close to being made out and 16 and 17 will likely blend into the background.

Use that to calibrate your brightness and contrast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts