AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing blu-rays in a dedicated theater for 1 1/2 years or so and have always wanted lossless audio as well, but was waiting for the right time to "jump in". I think now is that time :)

I'm thinking of picking up an ATI 5750 card but I'd like to make sure it will work with my setup.

Current Setup

Core 2 Duo 2.53ghz - 4 gig ram

Windows 7 Ultimate

TMT 3

Receiver: Pioneer 1018ah-k (DTS Master, etc capable)

Sanyo PLV-Z2000 1080p projector

Asus 1080p 23" monitor

*Graphics Card: ???ATI 5750??? connected via HDMI to Pio Receiver.

*Is the graphics card all that I need to complete the lossless audio chain?

From reading this post it seems that I don't need to do an EDID override:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1227161

Before I pull the trigger, I want to make sure this is the best option. Upgrading to an i3/i5 processor would be another option but it would require a lot more investment in parts.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious /forum/post/18146458

Any ATI 5000 series card will bitstream the lossless codecs.

+1, even the cheapest 5450 can do it. No need to spend $$ on the 5750 if you don't game. The 5450 is not as disabled as initially reviewed.

Also, one of the most important links is the software. I don't know the current state of TMT with regards to bitstreaming, however MPC-HC (free), PowerDVD 9 and WinDVD 10 are all capable of utilizing the PAP in the 5000 cards.

Also, you need to have good speakers to realize and enjoy lossless audio. Good speakers are a given for any home theater anyway. They are the most important piece in aural experience, seeing as how they reproduce the audio signals.

What speakers do you have hooked up to your Pioneer?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, much appreciated! I'll look into the 5450 card to save some $. I read initial reports when the cards first came out and it looked a little underwhelming. But it appears that many of the issues have been fixed.

One question. Does MPC-HC play Blu Rays? Sorry for my ignorance, I've only used TMT for blu rays in the past.

To answer your question regarding speakers, etc:

Speakers: Infinity Betas all the way around

Fronts: Beta 50s

Center: Beta CS360

Sides: Bipole/Dipole Betas (can't remember the model off-hand)

Rears: Beta 20s

Subs: dual CSW-10s (650W sealed sub)

Room is acoustically treated with Bass Traps in the corners & absorbers @ first reflection points, etc.

Speakers are powered by a Sherbourne 7/2100a 7x200 (Pio 1018 is only used as a pre-pro).

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillz564 /forum/post/18147086

Thanks for the info, much appreciated! I'll look into the 5450 card to save some $. I read initial reports when the cards first came out and it looked a little underwhelming. But it appears that many of the issues have been fixed.

One question. Does MPC-HC play Blu Rays? Sorry for my ignorance, I've only used TMT for blu rays in the past.

To answer your question regarding speakers, etc:

Speakers: Infinity Betas all the way around

Fronts: Beta 50s

Center: Beta CS360

Sides: Bipole/Dipole Betas (can't remember the model off-hand)

Rears: Beta 20s

Subs: dual CSW-10s (650W sealed sub)

Room is acoustically treated with Bass Traps in the corners & absorbers @ first reflection points, etc.

Speakers are powered by a Sherbourne 7/2100a 7x200 (Pio 1018 is only used as a pre-pro).

i might be wrong, but MPC-HC will play m2ts files and bitstream, I don't know if it'll play, for example, a blu-ray iso. TMT will bitstream on the 5xxx series with the .170 beta patch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.