AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have captured some tv shows from the ReplayTV using I/O Magic PowerVCR via s-video. The mpeg file looks fine using PowerDVD playback (640x480). TMPGEnc had trouble openning the file, but after using DVD2AVI to import and export the file, TMPGEnc was happy. Now on to making the s/vcd.

I used the project wizard to make vcd, but the picture looks really fuzzy. Then I tried NTSC svcd, film based, non-interlaced. when I play the svcd, the picture jumps a lot during panning. Is this due to drop frames, slow cpu (p4 2.1g), slow dvd player (Pioneer 106), or that's the fact of life for svcd?

What are my alternatives? Is it possible to make a low-compression (25 minutes on a 80 min cd) and better resolution vcd and playable on a STB? Will moving to the dvd-r platform eliminate the jumpy picture problem? Thanks.

-JL

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
JL,

I haven't used the tools you're using (I use a Mac and am just getting into HTPC), but the jumpiness you mentioned is most likely because you selected "film-based, non-interlaced". When you select "film-based", you told the software to work with a 24 frame/second time base.

If you recorded it from TV, it'll be interlaced. It'll be film-based for some TV shows, video-based for others. Usually, the primetime shows like ER, X-Files, CSI and such are shot on film. Other stuff like news programs are shot on video.

Try it both ways on a short clip and you should be able to tell the difference right away. Hope that helps.

SC

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.