AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what happens in June 2007? I don't think I've seen a clear spec for BD-J live or anything confirming that all will be finished by then. Will all existing players be firmware upgradable to full Java? I have a Samsung and PS3. I don't plan on buying a new player.

I'll be honest, the lack of interactive features has me really worried. Blu-ray needs to get its butt in gear and be at least on equal terms with HD DVD's HDi.

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
So you can enjoy PiP on every viewing? I wish BD movies would have sliding / smooth menus instead of just popping in, but what do you really want that you don't already have? Do you use your IME and U-Control on your HD-DVD's? I did the first couple times, but like "Follow the white rabbit" it's only after my first complete viewing of the movie and then I never touch it again.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I dont understand what all this pop up menu/ U control is. I had about 30 HDs and watched them all before I sold them and never saw or used a Ucontrol feature. I have 72 BD discs and on the rare occasion I need the menu, the popup menu button on my Sammy slides the menu up while Im watching the movie. Am I missing something? On the insert in the HDs I had they had pictures of behind the scenes doucumentaries being shown during the feature film. Is that what everyone is excited about? Why would anyone wanna do that? Cant you only really watch the movie or the special features at once?

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
I think there's still way too much confusion about what happens June 1, 2007. It has nothing to do with BD-J, BD-Live, etc. It's simply the date set by the BDA where all new BD-ROM models need to adhere to Profile 1.1, vs. the current Profile 1.0. This means mandatory PiP (real PiP, using a secondary stream overlaid on top of the primary stream), a little this, a little that, etc.

It's not as if every player on the market will magically turn into a Profile 1.1 player on that date...it's still perfectly fine for CEs to produce existing models that are only Profile 1.0, etc. until such time as they release new models. Given the logic behind having a phased-in mandatory revised profile in the first place, it's highly unlikely that Profile 1.0 players will support (via firmware upgrades) the full Profile 1.1 spec. If PiP had been go to go day one, there wouldn't be a Profile 1.1. The other (delta) stuff that's in Profile 1.1 was just a way to keep the costs of Profile 1.1 players down a bit.

P.S. Just so we're all clear, a CE company introducing a new BD player on June 2, 2007 will have two broad choices: BD-Video Profile 1.1 (defining the new minimum) and BD-Live.

P.P.S. Take this with a grain of salt: the JTC said exactly NOTHING about Profile 1.1 and the June 1, 2007 day in the last BDA Japan meeting...they went over everything else (e.g., no 23/27 support, the phased DL support for BD-R/RE, etc.), but not a word about Profile 1.1. I'd wager there's a chance the date will slip (but that wouldn't stop a CE company from doing PiP, for example).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.