AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading for weeks now and just need a little more help.

I'm looking to build a house for my 200+ blu-rays. This is it. No gaming, no DVR'ing, just a place to easily house and play my blu-ray collection. Price is no deterrent, I just want something that is going to look the same as throwing it into my ps3.

I need a little help filling in the blanks on my hardware

# CPU: Core i7 920

# Motherboard: ???

# Memory: ???

# Graphics Card (ATI): HD 5570, 5670, or 5870

# HDD: Western Digital 2TB Green

# PSU: ???

# Case: ???

# Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit???

# IR Controller

I have the control 4 set up in my theater room right now, my theater guy said he can sync it with any ir remote, is there a way to use a remote for playback, as i'm trying to get away from a mouse and keyboard.

So I use a HDMI cable from my ATI card into my receiver, that takes care of the audio and video I'm assuming?

I download AnyDVD HD and rip my discs into .iso's

I play back the .iso by mounting and then playing on a software

Is there a better way to rip my blu-ray to my hard drive and play it back in a more user friendly way? I use media browser at the moment for my regular dvd's but dont think it supports any kind of .iso mounting or playing.

Any help is greatly appreciated guys. I've been building and tweaking my gaming rigs for 10+ years now, and I have to admit that this whole HTPC thing is a different language to me.

Thanks

·
Registered
294 Posts
It won't be that simple.

You can store everything on 1 box, and play it (which is what you were writing about) or many people store their items on a server/storage box (like Unraid, onboard motherboard raid, drobo's, etc) and use a smaller box to browse and play their files in the area/rooms they want to view their items.

First you'd have to pick which one of the two you want to do (I'd recommend building some sort of file server so you can play with your front end all you want without worrying about the back end and letting it deal with storing your movies and recovery if you have HDD failures.)

Once you figure that out you have to figure out how you want to archive your movies. I do full audio and video so that its 100% whats on the disk minus extras but to do that you'll need about 20gb~ per movie for blurays and I transcode the HD audio to FLAC so that I don't have to worry about special players and if they support DTS-HD etc.

Finally for my front end, I use the AEON skin with XBMC ( http://www.aeonproject.com/ ) but of course there are many choices including some like Media Browser for W7MC or Media Portal.

** edit ** reread that you use Media Browser. What I should of said is instead of doing an ISO, I rip to MKV with uncompressed video and transcode the audio to FLAC. Media Browser can handle these fine so if you like it you can keep using it if you are already familiar with it. And in this format (MKV with FLAC audio) almost any front end can play the file so you don't have to really worry about maintaining the disk structure. This and ISO (or ripping and keeping the folder structure) are probably the most popular methods.

The choices are huge, you gotta take each step 1 at a time.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsmith /forum/post/18290028

I need a little help filling in the blanks on my hardware

# CPU: Core i7 920

# Motherboard: ???

# Memory: ???

# Graphics Card (ATI): HD 5570, 5670, or 5870

# HDD: Western Digital 2TB Green

# PSU: ???

# Case: ???

# Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit???

# IR Controller

Thanks

Lose the i7 920 CPU; it is way overkill for simple BD playback.

Here's the basics:

The CPU-MB can be a decent (low-power is preferred) 'low to mid'-end combo with about 3GB ram.

Many people use 64-bit OS but there really is no need for anything more than 2GB ram. 3GB memory is even more than needed and thus 32-bit is all you need.

The OS and various software are going to cost as much as the whole PC itself.

AnyDVD HD and DVDFab are two programs which can be used to back up DVDs/BDs on the drive.

AnyDVD runs in the background and the disc will appear to have no protection at all. In addition to this protection removal; AnyDVD can rip movies to the hard drive in folder format or in ISO format.

DVDFab is a straight out ripping program. It can back up whole discs, or just the main movie file without the menus, extras, annoying adverts, warnings etc. It can rip only to folder format (I may be wrong on that though).

When you rip to folder format, you can use ImgBurn (freeware) to create an ISO file containing the folders.

In an effort to stop piracy the software players do not play back BDs stored in folder format as they can with DVDs.

So the workaround is, create an ISO file containing the ripped folders and mount the ISO in a virtual drive (using Daemon Tools Lite or Virtual Clone Drive). The virtual drive emulates an optical drive and this tricks the OS into seeing the mounted image as an actual optical disc loaded in the drive.

Once the OS sees it as a disc the players will play the disc (which is actually a backed-up file).

Media Browser will launch an ISO from within if you set it up which is very simple.

The newer 5000 series video cards from ATI support PAP and hence with the right software you can bitstream HD audio tracks from the HTPC to your receiver.

Get a cheap low-power dual-core CPU and the 5670 video card. Load the Win 7 OS, Media Browser, your choice of BD player (PDVD/WinDVD/TMT) and get either AnyDVD or DVDFab.

If you don't care about the extras and want to save space, DVDFab is the best choice. It can rip the main movie title with only the main audio track/subtitles and saves you some disk space.

TMT and PDVD9 come with their own plugin for Media Center, so you can launch them from inside MC itself.

Inside Media Browser, the flow of sequence goes like this:

Select a movie, click 'Play'. This will mount the ISO. Give it a few secs and Windows will recognize the disc as BD and then your BD player should start playing automatically.

Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts