AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yamaha HTR 6190 and I am planning upgrades later, but for the time being if I run an external amp for the front two channels does the in-receiver amplifier use the unused channels to funnel the extra wattage to the remaining three channels I am still amplifiying in the reciever?

ie 500 receiver watts total power divided by 5 channels normally...

take away the two fronts...

500 receiver watts for center and two rears get divided 3 ways?

Sorry I think I read it somewhere a/b amps do this, but I want to be sure.

Jeff

·
Registered
243 Posts
I don't think it's quite the same as divided by three, but since they share the same transformer you will have more power. Front left and right are the main power hogs, so the power gained there will the most important.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxdowne /forum/post/17036306

I have a Yamaha HTR 6190 and I am planning upgrades later, but for the time being if I run an external amp for the front two channels does the in-receiver amplifier use the unused channels to funnel the extra wattage to the remaining three channels I am still amplifiying in the reciever?

ie 500 receiver watts total power divided by 5 channels normally...

take away the two fronts...

500 receiver watts for center and two rears get divided 3 ways?

Sorry I think I read it somewhere a/b amps do this, but I want to be sure.

Jeff

Yes you will get more power. Your calculations won't work though. I don't know exactly how much more power you will get, but it will be signifcantly more.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I grabbed up a used NAD 2700 to power the front left and right, but I don't notice much of a difference.

If all else fails it can always power my rear channels after my pre/pro purchase down the road.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Does not surprise me. Neither did I when using a two channel Mackie amp.

Perhaps you are looking for a difference that's not there. In other words, you already had enough power.

What's your average SPL when watching movies? How close are your speakers? How efficient are they?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxdowne /forum/post/17051725

Well I grabbed up a used NAD 2700 to power the front left and right, but I don't notice much of a difference.

If all else fails it can always power my rear channels after my pre/pro purchase down the road.

You have to realize how power works.

Example, 64W to 128W gaines 3dB, 100W to 128W gains about .8dB (not even noticeable).

unless you are clipping with the 100W there isnt going to be a difference between it and even AVRs with 140W/ch. External amps @ 250W is the next step above 128W anyways, everything in between is a waste of money.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Some thoughts -

I don't know much about the 6190, but it appears it's power consumption is 500, or at least that's what the manual says. But it's max channel power is 130, making it look like an RX-V1800 or 1900. So maybe it can put out close to 100 watts / channel.

That's a lot of power. Are you sure you were clipping before you added the external amp? What is your usual volume readout when watching a movie?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have never measured the output with an SPL meter and if it's any help I usually listen at -2.5db on the volume setting.

With the NAD I did notice a "cleaner" sound but not like night and day or anything.

With the NAD hooked up I noticed that being at -8db seemed to have a similar sound pressure to my hearing, but again just personal feeling.

I never found clipping and I basically was looking to lower the receiver temperature, which is again hardly noticeable to my touch.

I am not disappointed and I know the logic behind the upgrade.

I purchased the 6190 for it's good power output and for that I am very happy.

I don't know how to explain what I thought would happen, I guess I just expected a little more depth to the sound or warmth to the sound due to it being fed from such an amp.

I know if I pushed my system harder the amp would clean up the muddled sound of the receiver being pushed to it's max and for that I think it was worth the improvement.

I just don't see a reason to push system to that level of output.

I have Polk RTi a9's with matching front channel CSi a6 and using 88db 8ohm tower speakers in the rear. My subs are dual Paradigm DSP3400's.

I need to measure the SPL before I get to much further into things I think.

Jeff

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh and my front left and right are 13 feet, my center is 11 feet, the rears are 14 feet and the subs are 12 feet in distance from my listening position.

The room is 14.5 feet wide, 9 foot ceilings with 30 feet of length/depth.

Jeff

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Keep in mind that in home theater most of the sound is coming from the center channel, and that is the one that can benefit the most from an external amp, which is why for HT you are better off adding a 5 or 7 channel amp and not just a 2 channel amp for the front LR channels, which will only give you added benefit for stereo listening (not a bad thing). Therefore it is not surprising you noticed little difference since the receiver amps are still powering the center. Try hooking up the center channel to the NAD (put the LR channels back on the receiver) and see if you hear an improvement - I bet you do, especially at higher volumes. And be sure to re-balance all channels in any listening test setup, or you are wasting your time.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dsmith901,

Wouldn't the additional power of the receiver's amplifier being spread to the three do a similar gain?

I know dialogue is important, but I don't get the gains being huge by doing your suggestion.

I have no problem with upgrading to a three channel amp in the near future, I just want to understand how a small center would give such a huge gain.

Sorry for my ignorance on the subject

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I tested one movie, and the average center channel peak SPL was at most 1 dB more than the L/R channels (slow response on my meter.)

The main thing is that the vocals are coming from the center. I think speaker and speaker placement is the important point there for vocal audibility. I am not convinced of a compelling need for more center channel power than L/R power.

Clearly though the fronts need more power. In the opening scene of Sahara, the fronts were up to 3 dB higher on peaks ( slow response again.) That means the fronts may need twice the power as the surrounds, depending on movie ( I only tested Sahara.)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to update, I am heading home in a few days from an out of town trip where along the way I picked up an Acurus a200x3

I can't wait to put that on my front three channels and the NAD on my rear two channels.

I heard the amp in the sellers basement and right off the bat I can tell that amp has some serious dynamics!

I am so excited to be home on Thursday to set it all up

Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.