AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all i now have a Polk PSW125 I can return the Polk and buy the Klipsch Synergy Series Sub-12 for 70 dollars plus tax.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/s...vidual/psw125/

They(Polk) says the PSW125 does 32hz-225hz and can hit 118 db (my ass) with 125 RMS watts 300 peak.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/deta...gy-sub-12.aspx

The Synergy has alot better specs they(Klipsch) says it will go down to 24hz+/-3db and 117 db @ 30Hz also has 300 Watts continuous 650 peak.

Now i know watts and specs mean nothing but has any one else made this upgrade. People really do like the Sub-12 here but have never heard anything about the Polk. I really appreciate your input guys and gals thanks a million.

·
Registered
643 Posts
More of a lateral move.....grab a Int mfr sub......ED, SVS, AVS, HSU or something..

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea but im a need it now kind of guy. Trust me i know there are better ID subs out there but in 2009 i will be doing a DIY project something like a trinity knockoff.

So anyone else?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyhash /forum/post/15415553

Hello all i now have a Polk PSW125 I can return the Polk and buy the Klipsch Synergy Series Sub-12 for 70 dollars plus tax.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/s...vidual/psw125/

They(Polk) says the PSW125 does 32hz-225hz and can hit 118 db (my ass) with 125 RMS watts 300 peak.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/deta...gy-sub-12.aspx

The Synergy has alot better specs they(Klipsch) says it will go down to 24hz+/-3db and 117 db @ 30Hz also has 300 Watts continuous 650 peak.

Now i know watts and specs mean nothing but has any one else made this upgrade. People really do like the Sub-12 here but have never heard anything about the Polk. I really appreciate your input guys and gals thanks a million.

I would focus on the frequency response. For a good LFE experience in the HT you want a sub that can get to 20 Hz really or lower. Preferably with decent output capability. SVS PB10 NSD or PB12 NSD are the way to go. Now if you are interested in mostly music, then the frequency cut offs you have are okay. I'm guessing those SPL measurements are at 1m or less.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But is the 70 dollars worth the upgrade to go from 32Hz to be able to get to 24Hz. FTR i will either keep the Polk or upgrade to the Klipsch no other subs.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Are you looking to get the K from the same place as the P? Can you swing a short term bump on your credit card? Does the K have the same return policy? If yes to the above, get the K, compare it to the P, then return the one you like the least.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea same store i will buy the K and do a side by side comparison. All i wanted was somebody to say o yea its leaps and bounds better. Subs are not like speakers where you have to audition, people like the sub or not. Guess i will find out first hand.

I can see my wife now, O so now we have two huge ugly black boxes in our living room lol.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyhash /forum/post/15418435

Yea same store i will buy the K and do a side by side comparison. All i wanted was somebody to say o yea its leaps and bounds better. Subs are not like speakers where you have to audition, people like the sub or not. Guess i will find out first hand.

I can see my wife now, O so now we have two huge ugly black boxes in our living room lol.

Does she know your screen name???

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyhash /forum/post/15418435

Just think how happy she will be when you sacrifice one of them for HER.
Take the points whenever you can.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does she know your screen name???

Yep let her come, if i ever say my wife on this forum i would die of a heart attack. She is more of the House Hunter,Design on a Dime,Trading Spaces kind of chickey poo, but i love her just the same.

Just think how happy she will be when you sacrifice one of them for HER. Take the points whenever you can.

Now that the best suggestion i have heard in a while. I will use that for sure. Picture it "Its mine i paid for it with my job,my money and they are both staying im putting my foot down". The wife"really that's OK because you will have plenty of time to get to know your subs, because you will be sleeping with them all night long when you sleep your ass on the couch mofo. Me "yea you know you are right we only need one sub and if it means that much to you I will bring it back in the morning". Now on to the makeup sex.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PannyMann /forum/post/15419437

Where are you getting the Synergy 12 for $70 ?

I'm looking to get a sub for a relative and I'd buy 2 for that amount.

He meant $70 more than the Polk.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea its a 70 dollar upgrade from the Polk sub. 2 for that amount heck id buy 4 of them put them in the 4 corners of my room and call it a day lol.

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
seems to me the answer is almost always the same. return whatever crappy sub you bought and paid too much for at a B&M store, and get an hsu, svs, etc. i agree, but rather than spew out the same stuff over and over, let's just answer his question for a change.

return the polk, get the klipsch.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/15424613

seems to me the answer is almost always the same. return whatever crappy sub you bought and paid too much for at a B&M store, and get an hsu, svs, etc. i agree, but rather than spew out the same stuff over and over, let's just answer his question for a change.

return the polk, get the klipsch.

We just want the best for him. Patience young grasshoppa..
He's sacrificing quality due to his inability to wait on an ID sub.

·
Banned
3,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by croseiv /forum/post/15424828

We just want the best for him. Patience young grasshoppa..
He's sacrificing quality due to his inability to wait on an ID sub.

oh i agree completely, but...if he wants to blow his cash on a less than stellar sub just to have it now, the klipsch will beat the polk all day. that's all i'm saying.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you Mr Evil that is tha answer i was looking for im returning the Polk today so i will let people know the difference.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok i hooked up the Klipsch wow what a sub(for a B&M sub), I actually got CC to swap it across the board for the same price, they gave me 20% off. When i ran the calibration tool with the mic on my HK254 i set the dial to 12 o'clock per the book and ran the set up. The Polk ran @ +5 the Klipsch runs better at -3db. What an improvement in sound. I do not know all the "proper" terms but here is what i will say.

1. Over all impact. What a big boom. i goes ALOT lower than the Polk. The Kiipsch has a 4 1/2 inch port on it that is rear firing. It moves the sliding glass door curtains and they have little 2 lbs weights on the bottoms of each one. Is feels like it has more SLAM the kind you feel in the body. When i watched the skoodish scene from Kung Fu Panda you could really feel it.

2. Loudness. If you bass heads have never heard the IMAX Nascar DVD its a great one to rent Netflix has it. At the end there is a race scene its is off the charts one of the best "show off your system" scenes out there. The sound was enveloping 360 degree bass. Very loud very authentic. Lots of varying levels of bass sorry don't know how to describe it other than that.

3. Tightness. Played a LITTLE music with it. I like how bass is there when its needed just the right amount without sounding sloppy or lacking. The midbass complements my with fronts just the right amount of bass again without seeming to try to hard. I listened to some Nickleback, Coldplay, Steely Dan and 50 Cent (my 10 y old's music).

Over all very happy with this sub till i do my DIY project this year it will suffice. Looks good also my golden retriever is still sniffing the little blue light. It has a 7 out of 10 on the WAF. This was definitely a huge upgrade over the Polk. It does make me understand the upgrade bug, ive had it less the 24 hours and crave more.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.