AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that some users of the Samsung DLPs leave their DVD player in interlaced mode because the internal scaler does a better job than the DVD player can.

The Xbox has the option to enable and disable 480P (and higher resolutions), so I was just thinking the TV's scaler might do better with the games in 480i as well.

The reason I am asking instead of just doing it, is that I am not as good at spotting the differences as some users here. Also, according to my Avia disc, sometimes a setting may look to make something worse, but after you get used to it it's actually more accurate. I think sharpness was an example of that.

·
Registered
845 Posts
That is probably the case, but there is no substitute for first hand proof. Try it both way's and see what you prefer. The test I am more interested in, is how the 720P games look.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SethS
That is probably the case, but there is no substitute for first hand proof. Try it both way's and see what you prefer. The test I am more interested in, is how the 720P games look.
720p games look great on my 60" GWII

NFL Fever

Tony Hawk 4

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
720P looks amazing. Only problem is the inputs on the 437 don't have 480i/720p in one.

I have a splitter on there now, I don't know how much that is hurting the video quality.

Edit: In interlaced mode it seems MUCH lighter, now I am curious which way is correct...

I am currently using gamma 4 with all the black levels down in the SM.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I think with the XBox you are better to let the XBox to the scaling.

With a DVD you are just putting the image back together into a 480p signal either in the DVD player or the TV.

With the XBox by enabling 480p or 720p the machine is actually sending more information to the monitor. Not just an assembled 480p image but a higher resolution image where the XBox has actually rendered more image - 720p to an even greater extent.

·
Registered
963 Posts
NO. It doesn't matter how good the scaler is in the TV; a native 720p signal from the XBox will always look better.

The reason why DVDs can look better at 480i is because DVDs are all originally 480i sources; they need to either be scaled in the player (to 480p, or to 720p with a new 720p player), or scaled at the TV.

Look at it this way:

DVD scaled at the player to 480p:

original DVD 480i, scaled to 480p in the player, scaled from 480p to 720p at the TV.

Or, DVD input at 480i:

original DVD 480i, scaled from 480i to 720p at the TV. In this case, if the scaler in the TV is good (as is the case in the Sammy DLPs), then you may achieve better results at 480i.

In the case of the XBox, it can output 720p for games that are 720p native, negating the need for scaling. In other words, it doesn't matter how good the scaler is in the TV; that would be adding another unnecessary step. The scaler would have to take an inferior 480i signal and estimate what the missing lines of resolution are in order to produce a 720p image. If the game supports 720p, then it isn't actually being scaled by the XBox; the information is actually there within the game.

For DVDs to enter the same realm we'll have to wait for an entirely new standard that allows storing of 720p video on discs. Current DVDs would not be able to hold anywhere near enough information. A regular movie encoded at 720p would take up several discs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bishamon is right. For DVD's they are encoded in 480i the deinterlacer is uesd make them into 480p.

When we're taking video game systems GC, Xbox, PS2 when they output 480p, 720p, or 1080i, they are actually rendering the graphics at that resolution. Not all games support all modes, there are only a handful of Xbox games that support anything past 480p.

Here's a couple of links that detail what games support what

http://hdgames.net http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=100055

Hope that helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.