AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well.....as a result of spending way too much time on this forum i decided to get more.......vtf 3 to pair up with my dual seismic 12 subs......also got a bryston 4b st but thats a different thread

initial impressions are positive.......after a couple of days of comparing the vtf3 directly to a single seismic i find that the seismic is better for music.....its bass is just so tight/fast whatever you want to call it.....the vtf3 seems more loose.....i know the above comment will start a war but that's how i feel....it could be my room (almost 3000 cubic ft.)......very little difference between the two though

movies gave me the same impression at first but then i tried the 20 Hz mode and now the vtf3 and the seimic sound identical.....i love the 20 Hz mode.... the sub sounds fantastic

does anyone know the magnet size and the voice coil size on the vtf3.....the seismic has a 29 lbs. magnet and an eight layer coil.......the seismic's woofer just looks so much more powerful to the eye

in a few weeks i'll post more........

should i register the vtf3?....

also, after a couple of days with it i really like the vtf3 so don't read the above and think to yourself that i've complimented the seismic too much........in fact, if i could start over i'd rather save the money and go with dual vtf3's insted of the dual seismics

·
Registered
709 Posts
Dear parapet,

Thank you for the kind words, we really appreciate it!

If you have not already done so, please complete this form:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/support/index.php?id=36

...and we will do our best to help you optimize for both music and movies.

I advise using some caution when comparing appearances of different drivers. Dr. Hsu has been designing drivers for nearly 20 years. He knows what is important in order to design a very high quality driver, and he has a very deep understanding of all facets involved in driver design. In using a relatively large ported enclosure, there really is no need to over-engineer the woofer, and this is where cost savings are passed on to the consumer.

On a final note, I should mention that your VTF-3 will have upgradeable bass characteristics, but that is enough for now. :)

Thanks again!

Sincerely,

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Quote:
movies gave me the same impression at first but then i tried the 20 Hz mode and now the vtf3 and the seimic sound identical.....i love the 20 Hz mode.... the sub sounds fantasticin .............fact, if i could start over i'd rather save the money and go with dual vtf3's insted of the dual seismics
Good deal..Congrats!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Peter thanks for responding

Guys do your hsu subs have the HSU printed on your woofer like they used to do it

Also, those with high gloss finish......the top, bottom and front on mine are fine but the sides look washed out with all kinds of white spots on the finish....is this normal

I'm asking all this because I'm not sure if I bought the sub from an authorized dealer and all the subs I've seen on the internet look absolutely flawless

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I would email Hsu with the name of the dealer you bought it from, and the serial number of the sub. They can probably tell you whether it is an authorized Canadian dealer. In the US that question is easy...

·
Registered
290 Posts
I just checked the woofer on my vtf/2, it has SVS on it :eek:. Those pesky svs guys are everywhere. Just kidding... :)

That's too bad on the white spots on the sides, that can't be normal...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok guys who can explain this.......i've always had my two subs placed within inches of each other in a corner........one of my favourite demos is the plane crash in flight of the phoenix......

since getting the hsu i've been playing around with setup a bit and one night i left one of the subs in the off position.....next day i go to demo the plane crush scene and i find that the bass is a little lacking until the plane goes down spinning after the propeller crushed into the cabin.......the bass during the plane spinning was just so clear and intense that i didn't know what hit me

i checked my sub settings and found the one sub in the off position.....so i put it in auto and re-watch the scene.......the bass is more intense throughout the whole scene except when the plane goes down spinning......there is barely any bass......

so i start playing with phase.....re-watching the scene many times but every time it's the same......with just one sub working the bass when the plane goes down spinning is just so much more intense

what is happening?.....

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
I wonder if they are canceliing each other out at a certain frequency because they are not matched? By mathced I mean the same sub from the same manufacturer. Is the phase setting the same on both subs at the same time? If they are different they could be cancelling each oher out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Legairre

the subs are the same, two seismic 12 subs........i never noticed before because i've always had them both on....just for fun i tried a seismic and a vtf3 in that corner and it's no different

i thought about cancellations but at those frequencies the wavelengths are so great that it shouldn't matter if the subs are inches apart

both subs have the same phase setting.....if i put one at 180 deg. or even 90 deg. i loose all the bass

i now prefer that scene with one sub and the gain turned up

i'm totally puzzelled....in theory this whole thing doesn't make any sense

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Ok so dual seismics sub only problem.

1) I'm assuming each sub has been calibrated to 75dB or 85dB seperately right?

2) How about crossover? Are you using the crossover from the pre amp or subs? If pre amp or receiver are you sure both subs crossovers are off or turned up all the way so they don't overlap with the pre amp or receiver crossover? How about placement?

3) How about if they are stacked?

4) How about if you move one to the opposite corner so you have a subs in the front L&R corners?

Legairre

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1) both subs are calibrated

2) both are on the lfe output (splitter used)

3) i thought about that but i have no way to stack them, the way the seismics are designed

but i think i'll try putting one on top of the vtf3 in that corner

4) i will try that when i have some more time, it's not easy in my room

also, do you have dual vtf3's, if so how do you have them placed?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.