AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished building a full sized Marty a few days ago with the Dayton 18HO driver and finally got to fire it up today.

Just some background to give some more understanding and to help anyone in decision making...I have a sealed Dayton 18 in a 4ft box so I have some frame of reference for what to expect. I use a bridged EP 4000 for the amp. My room is 12X28X8. My HT area is half of the room. I sit 7' from 3 Klipsch La Scalas for my front three (considering building Tempests or Sentinels to replace the LS...but that is a definitely future and different idea [although super alluring topic!] Much thanks to MartyCool for having experienced many Klipsch systems and giving me ideas!).

To start off with, I let the Marty run by itself (with the bridged EP 4000). In my room, it definitely added volume. I felt the sub at the back of the room in a way the sealed never did. There's a Youtube bass test I like that goes from 5-70 Hz ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odF3gi7Ajk0 ). The Marty didn't overwhelm at the 5 or 10 Hz mark, but I didn't expect it to. At 15 Hz, the Marty caused things to shake/rattle/vibrate that I didn't know existed. It was a powerhouse of audio/bass movement that gave me a smile.

Overall, I think that I may shoot for for 2 Martys and 2 sealed (although I know I will need at least an iNuke 6000 for all 4). The sealed give me depth and the Martys give me punch and volume. Feel free to criticize or add anything. Just wanted to share my bass experience.

Reactions: LTD02

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I added the Marty and the sealed to the Music/movies I was playing, it was absolutely fantastic. That's what made me think about going 2 Martys and 2 sealed.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Love your setup!! Looking at getting a Cornscala as its huge and I know I will love the dynamic range for both movies and music.

I am in the middle of completing my first Marty cube sub and I will probably add a pair of sealed subs at a later date.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
congratulations and great write-up!

be VERY careful with test tones/sine waves etc. with that much power though. don't want to see you kill your baby.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
if you can move the sub to perhaps the sidewall, you may pick up a little more effective boundary loading.

though to know what your frequency response is going to be just eyeballing your setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts