burned.

The best place to get an awnser from an expert on this issue

is in the CRT forum.

------------------

Trevor

·
Registered
581 Posts
Just discovered that my now ex-wife had left my 65" Runco 5800 (Toshiba) in 4x3 mode the entire time she was watching it when I was traveling for work. SHE BURNT THE SCREEN!

I have a Faroudja 2200 feeding it and I told her not to keep it in 4x3 mode with the black bars to the side.

Is there anything I can do at this point? Can the bulbs be rotated.. I'm looking for a needle in the haystack right now! The set is only 2 yrs. old.

------------------

Michael James

Cincinnati, Ohio

Runco 5800 RPTV 65"

Lexicon MC-1

3 Sunfire Amplifiers

B&W 803's, Center Rears

Pioneer DV-05

Faroudja 2200 Scaler

Pioneer CLD-99

2 Grey Power Stations

PS Audio 300

Pronto Remotes

Automated Blinds, Lighting, Retractable Mirror

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Micheal:

While not a substitute for new CRTs, it is possible to "age" the portion of the image that was displaying black bars in 4:3 mode. You will, of course, require an HTPC to accomplish this, and it will help to have an advanced artwork program such as photoshop or illustrator.

In general, you need to produce an image with the artwork program that is the invers of the burn - i.e., black 4:3 image with white side curtains. It helps to dither the edges of the white bars slightly to prevent missing the exact alignment by one or two pixels and leaving a small stripe down the display.

Set the contrast on the set to maximum, pull up the computer display, and be careful that the white bars are exactly aligned with the un-burned (the side curtains) areas, and keep checking a regular DVD image every hour or so until the contrast difference between the side curtains and the center of the display is gone (or at least less noticeable). Should take 10-20 hours, depending on how much the set was used to display 4:3 material.

------------------
BOYCOTT DVI/HDCP & JVC!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.