AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've just purchased a Samsung LN52A650 and am loving it, except for the sound. I have a PS3 to play blu-rays but do not have a receiver or any speakers.

What kind of quality surround system can I expect to have for ~500$? ~750$? ~1000$?

I'm very new to audio systems and don't have a clue about most things so please be clear in any acronyms and what is better than what.

Thanks for any advice/info.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Howdy slvrstang and welcome to AVS,

It looks like you did a good job of researching the video side of your system. Now, just use those same skills on the audio side and you will be fine.

The first rule of thumb is that you can expect to pay about the same for the audio side as you did for the video side....... but we do have to live in the real world and some times that just isn't possible.

You might consider ''building" your audio system slowly, adding essential pieces as you can afford them..... maybe getting a good receiver and 3 excellent front speakers to start with. Then add a good sub down the line, and finally finish the system off with a couple of nice, but modestly priced surround speakers when you can.

Of course, another option would be to use your new LCD as the switcher (I think the A650 has 5.1 audio outputs doesn't it?), then simply add powered speakers, and bingo..... your done.

So..... my best advice.......... spend some major time here reading... then go out and listen, listen, listen..... then get a game plan and go for it.

By the way...... plan to spend some time over in the "Audio theory, setup, and chat" area...... a bit of room treatment and proper placement of your speakers can go a LONG way towards making whatever audio system you end up with sound like dynamite!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts