AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a Denon AVR-X4200W. I am planning on using it with an external outlaw amp (7 X 200 wpc). I bought it to do some HDMI switching and also want to take advantage of Audyessey. Any downsides to this receiver when using it as a preamp? It is supposed to arrive this weekend. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Me too. At least have it secured for pickup at Fry's for 897. Almost impossible to pass up at that price point.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
My only gripe with x4200 is that it runs hot, so make sure to give it a good ventilation, dont strangle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
AVS ***** Member
8,968 Posts
Hi,

I think that a lot of the Denon and Marantz AVR's tend to run hot, but it doesn't seem to affect their performance. I believe that was true in the past of some Onkyo's too. Allowing some ventilation is a great idea, but I have seen people using fans, and unless the AVR is really in a confined space, that's probably overkill.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
437 Posts
The problem with newer receivers being used as preamp is they run hot even if internal amps are not used. The internal amps are always on. I have an older marantz sr6004 that has the ability to turn off internal amps if not in use. My pioneer vsx1121k can also do the same thing. Turning the internal amps off on the pioneer vsx1121 greatly reduces heat.

I currently also own a marantz sr5008 and can't turn off internal amps. Yamahas also have the same issue. I don't know if newer pioneer AVRs still have the ability. I've heard that the denon avr4310 also has the ability to turn off internal amps. It is always best to buy a dedicated pre/pro for low power and heat output. Another benefit of dedicated pre/pro is full balanced XLR outputs for all channels. A prepro will be my next purchase.

I always run 2 120mm PC fans on top of my AVRs for extra precaution. Make sure to keep at least 4-5inches of space on top of the receiver and 3inches on the sides. For me I don't put my equipment in a closed place. They are always placed on top of something with free flow all around + fans on top. If you try to hide your equipment you'll have premature failures.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The problem with newer receivers being used as preamp is they run hot even if internal amps are not used. The internal amps are always on. I have an older marantz sr6004 that has the ability to turn off internal amps if not in use. My pioneer vsx1121k can also do the same thing. Turning the internal amps off on the pioneer vsx1121 greatly reduces heat.

I currently also own a marantz sr5008 and can't turn off internal amps. Yamahas also have the same issue. I don't know if newer pioneer AVRs still have the ability. I've heard that the denon avr4310 also has the ability to turn off internal amps. It is always best to buy a dedicated pre/pro for low power and heat output. Another benefit of dedicated pre/pro is full balanced XLR outputs for all channels. A prepro will be my next purchase.

I always run 2 120mm PC fans on top of my AVRs for extra precaution. Make sure to keep at least 4-5inches of space on top of the receiver and 3inches on the sides. For me I don't put my equipment in a closed place. They are always placed on top of something with free flow all around + fans on top. If you try to hide your equipment you'll have premature failures.
I might be wrong but I thought running the receiver in eco mode would also allow it to run cooler.

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
I might be wrong but I thought running the receiver in eco mode would also allow it to run cooler.
You are 100% correct, good point for those who don't want to use Cooler Fans, etc. After having 2 Onkyos that could heat my HT and subsequently died despite using fans, I keep a small Cooler Fan on top of my 5200 as a precaution, did the same with a 4311 - paranoid :) The units temp drops about 15 degrees for me when using Eco mode, see Denon threads for more info/testimonials.

To the OP - great choice as long as you have no desire to use more than 9 speakers. Enjoy.

Reactions: WildWolf

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are 100% correct, good point for those who don't want to use Cooler Fans, etc. After having 2 Onkyos that could heat my HT and subsequently died despite using fans, I keep a small Cooler Fan on top of my 5200 as a precaution, did the same with a 4311 - paranoid :) The units temp drops about 15 degrees for me when using Eco mode, see Denon threads for more info/testimonials.

To the OP - great choice as long as you have no desire to use more than 9 speakers. Enjoy.
Does Eco mode affect anything else aside from the amplifiers? As I am using an external amp, I plan on turning eco mode on (unless there is a way to shut off the internal amps of the denon altogether).

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Eco mode helps with temperatures, according to JD smoothie, there is barely any audible difference in output worth eco mode engaged

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Does Eco mode affect anything else aside from the amplifiers? As I am using an external amp, I plan on turning eco mode on (unless there is a way to shut off the internal amps of the denon altogether).
No one has been able to notice a difference in sound with Eco on or off. Using it just enables the "load" to be adjusted based on listening volume. As you can see I use some external amplification for my fronts. No way to turn off the amps on your 4200, just lessen the load by using the Outlaw amp.

Reactions: WildWolf

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I just recently bought a Denon AVR-7200WA that replaced a 4310. It's on and open-rack shelf, but has only about an inch clearance above it.

In spite of using a 3-channel amp for LCR, it still ran very warm.

After reading several posts in the thread that covers the 7200 (jdsmoothie is the expert), I gave ECO "ON" mode a try. Runs considerably cooler now, and it doesn't seem to affect sound quality.

I was surprised to learn that the video card, not the amp, is the primary source of heat in current receivers. It makes sense due to the extra demands.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts