AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Sharp LC60LE835U recently and really like everything about the TV. Amazing color, no blur, and impressive 3D (i wasn't really expecting much). But I can't stand the clouding
I was able to live with the green tint to blacks on my old toshiba that I bought back in 2007, but the unevenness of the blacks during dark scenes is really starting to bother me.

Another issue is, I have a really dark room (i'm working on building a media/HT room) and there is no outside light coming in the room at all at all times of the day. I was originally going to buy a projector, but I felt for the money, I would get a better picture for the money (event though the screen would be smaller).

Overall, I bought a LCD/LED instead of a projector and can't stand the clouding. I can live with a dead pixel or two and I can live with some flashlighting, but the clouding is just getting on my nerves.

So I wanted to see if anyone feels that I should send back my TV and try a plasma. I will play games (Console and PC), watch movies, and use it as a monitor.

I know burn-in isn't as big of an issue anymore and if I use my PC on it, i will set up the screen saver to come on every 5 or 10 minutes. But what other things would I be missing from a LED/LCD if I made the switch?

Also, I'm looking to spend about 2 grand on the TV, so can anyone recommend a good 60ish inch Plasma?

·
Registered
592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementfbl114 /forum/post/20846816

I just bought a Sharp LC60LE835U recently and really like everything about the TV. Amazing color, no blur, and impressive 3D (i wasn't really expecting much). But I can't stand the clouding
I was able to live with the green tint to blacks on my old toshiba that I bought back in 2007, but the unevenness of the blacks during dark scenes is really starting to bother me.

Another issue is, I have a really dark room (i'm working on building a media/HT room) and there is no outside light coming in the room at all at all times of the day. I was originally going to buy a projector, but I felt for the money, I would get a better picture for the money (event though the screen would be smaller).

Overall, I bought a LCD/LED instead of a projector and can't stand the clouding. I can live with a dead pixel or two and I can live with some flashlighting, but the clouding is just getting on my nerves.

So I wanted to see if anyone feels that I should send back my TV and try a plasma. I will play games (Console and PC), watch movies, and use it as a monitor.

I know burn-in isn't as big of an issue anymore and if I use my PC on it, i will set up the screen saver to come on every 5 or 10 minutes. But what other things would I be missing from a LED/LCD if I made the switch?

Also, I'm looking to spend about 2 grand on the TV, so can anyone recommend a good 60ish inch Plasma?

Of course you should buy a plasma! Did you not consider it in the first place?

Panasonic and Samsung are the leaders but look at LG's offering, too. It's hard to make a bad choice among any of them especially since you have such a controlled environment. Now that I think about it, there have been some reports of LG not being quite as good at resisting temporary image retention so it might not be as good a choice to double as a PC monitor. Maybe some LG owners can chime in on that one.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Quote:

I have a really dark room (i'm working on building a media/HT room) and there is no outside light coming in the room at all at all times of the day. I was originally going to buy a projector, but I felt for the money, I would get a better picture for the money (event though the screen would be smaller).

A dark room like the basement you are describing is absolutely ideal for a plasma. The darker the better.

Panasonic 60ST30 is the television i recommend for the $2000 price range.

Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 /forum/post/20846949

Of course you should buy a plasma! Did you not consider it in the first place?

Panasonic and Samsung are the leaders but look at LG's offering, too. It's hard to make a bad choice among any of them especially since you have such a controlled environment. Now that I think about it, there have been some reports of LG not being quite as good at resisting temporary image retention so it might not be as good a choice to double as a PC monitor. Maybe some LG owners can chime in on that one.

I honestly did not! I have always been a big supporter of LCDs in the past, but this new generating of LED/LCDs are just really annoying. Getting a TV without clouding shouldn't be such a gamble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunnel /forum/post/20846978

A dark room like the basement you are describing is absolutely ideal for a plasma. The darker the better.

Panasonic 60ST30 is the television i recommend for the $2000 price range.

Mike

Awesome, I have actually been comparing 3 TVs:

Panasonic VIERA TC-P65ST30

P60ST30

P60GT30

So whats the major difference for the 60gt vs the 60st? is it worth the extra 500 to go with the 60gt?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, since I am still new around here. However:

ST

better gamma

slightly dimmer

slightly less accurate color

GT

worse gamma

slightly brighter

slightly more accurate color

better and sleeker looking panel bezel if that matters to you

Most people feel that the GT is not worth it unless you can get a REALLY good deal on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphion /forum/post/20847299

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, since I am still new around here. However:

ST

better gamma

slightly dimmer

slightly less accurate color

GT

worse gamma

slightly brighter

slightly more accurate color

better and sleeker looking panel bezel if that matters to you

Most people feel that the GT is not worth it unless you can get a REALLY good deal on it.

Thanks for the info! I would like to get the GT, but I'm just not sure if it would be worth the price increase. Plus, I liked what I saw with the 3D on my LED set and would like to get some 3D glasses for it (which seems insanely expensive compared the the Sharp glasses). I'm still trying to decide if I should get a replacement for my sharp 835u or if I should just make the move to plasma.

I guess the main thing holding me back from plasma is the IR/burn in. I watch a lot of netflix and most of the shows I watch have bars ( I don't really ever watch cable). I don't like the idea of either zooming or stretching the picture. I also play a lot of games, so how susceptible is the ST30 to the IR or burn in?

Also, is there any common issue with ST30 or plasma in general that I need to watch out for (like clouding on LED-LCD TVs)? Or is IR really the major issue?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I/R is not a significant issue. Burn in is no more prevalent than with lcd, and plasma have the best 3D of all.

·
Banned
175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementfbl114 /forum/post/20847867

Thanks for the info! I would like to get the GT, but I'm just not sure if it would be worth the price increase. Plus, I liked what I saw with the 3D on my LED set and would like to get some 3D glasses for it (which seems insanely expensive compared the the Sharp glasses). I'm still trying to decide if I should get a replacement for my sharp 835u or if I should just make the move to plasma.

I guess the main thing holding me back from plasma is the IR/burn in. I watch a lot of netflix and most of the shows I watch have bars ( I don't really ever watch cable). I don't like the idea of either zooming or stretching the picture. I also play a lot of games, so how susceptible is the ST30 to the IR or burn in?

Also, is there any common issue with ST30 or plasma in general that I need to watch out for (like clouding on LED-LCD TVs)? Or is IR really the major issue?

Be sure to read the Master Burn In thread.

·
Registered
272 Posts

Quote:

Sorry for the ignorance but what is clouding exactly?

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumba /forum/post/20855112

Sorry for the ignorance but what is clouding exactly?

My understanding: LCDs these days with 'local dimming' can adjust the backlights in order to darken/brighten regions of the screen, improving overall contrast. However this is not pixel-by-pixel the granularity is not that fine. So what you get is that if the image has dark and light features, some areas that should be dark can end up with lots of back-lighting that was necessary to make the bright features. As a result those areas are 'cloudy' and not as dark as another dark area which was did not need to be back-lit as much.

Picture four translucent paper 'shutters' with two lights behind them (two shutters per light). Ideal black for a shutter 'pixel' is turning the light behind it off, ideal white is turning on the light and opening the shutter. This works great if you want all black or all white, but if you want just one white square you've got to turn on a light. Then the other 'pixel' in front of the light that really should have been black like the others is instead emitting some light because the shutter's ability to block light is limited. Spread this issue out over many pixels with many backlights that hit them with different intensities and the result is clouding.

·
Registered
272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloimplant /forum/post/20855360

My understanding: LCDs these days with 'local dimming' can adjust the backlights in order to darken/brighten regions of the screen, improving overall contrast. However this is not pixel-by-pixel the granularity is not that fine. So what you get is that if the image has dark and light features, some areas that should be dark can end up with lots of back-lighting that was necessary to make the bright features. As a result those areas are 'cloudy' and not as dark as another dark area which was did not need to be back-lit as much.

Picture four translucent paper 'shutters' with two lights behind them (two shutters per light). Ideal black for a shutter 'pixel' is turning the light behind it off, ideal white is turning on the light and opening the shutter. This works great if you want all black or all white, but if you want just one white square you've got to turn on a light. Then the other 'pixel' in front of the light that really should have been black like the others is instead emitting some light because the shutter's ability to block light is limited. Spread this issue out over many pixels with many backlights that hit them with different intensities and the result is clouding.

excellent - thank you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for your help! I will be shipping back my Sharp this friday! But it's going to be a while until I get my Plasma because I have to wait for a refund
For some reason Amazon didn't want to give me an advanced refund of a few thousand

So it is looking like I'll be going with the 60st30, even though I have been playing with the idea of getting the 65st30, but I'm not sure if I want to spend the additional money to get it... I'm ok with a few hundred more, but currently it's been quite a bit more than that...

But I really feel relieved knowing that I wont' have to worry about clouding!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.