AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a pair of Studio 60s and a CC470 center channel today because my favorite local shop was having their annual VIP sale so I saved several hundred dollars on them, I had been lusting over them for sometime.. before this I just had some performance series paradigm bookshelf speakers (talk about a huge leap up the ladder)

I know the main focus on matching my speakers is to have my entire front stage matched (which is why I bought all studio series for the front stage today) but is it a big problem if I continue to use my performance series speakers for my rear stage? I have a Denon 7 channel recieve so I was thinking of using my old front speakers and adding them as surround back speakers (so I have 4 surround speakers now instead of 2... 2 speakers behind the listening position and 1 on each side of the listening position)

Will I be able to use all 4 of these surround speakers simultaneously while watching a Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 6.1 DVD? or will only 2 of them play at any given time. It was my understanding that I can set them up to all work together and I wanted to make sure this was true before I plan on setting them up this way or if I should just find another use for them?

I know these two series of speakers are in completely different leagues but im hoping since the front stage is far more important that continuing to use these as my rear speakers wont compromise the listening experience. I was pretty satisfied with these little speakers but I couldnt stand it any longer I had to make the huge leap to the Studio Reference line.. I could not afford to purchase the matching studio surround speakers at the moment however... plus I would really still like to get some use out of these other speakers since they are still in great condition.

Id like some input on this... I know the rear speakers dont do half the work that my Studios will be doing anyway so should I be ok continuing to use them for my rear stage despite being much lower grade speakers? (I still think they sound pretty good though)

·
Registered
408 Posts
That should be fine to use your Performance series as surrounds. It's not the ideal situation but it's not bad either. Supposedly all Paradigms are timbre matched (at least through the Monitor series). They might not be as precise and clean sounding but they should do a fine job.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Yes, I think you should be fine (unless you have the funds to replace them and get more studios for the sides/rear.

I have Ascend 340's for my 3 fronts, and JBL's for my sides/rears. Certainly not ideal, but I blew my discretionary funds on the Ascend front 3-340's and an SVS16-46PC+.

It really is not that noticeable in day to day HT useage.

One day, when I have extra $600700 lying around, I will replace them with 4 170s or 4 200's. I imagine that will be a long time from now.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just another option/opinion...I'm not sure how much you could get selling those performance series speakers would give you in return but, if it was enough to purchase the ADPs bipole/dipole speakers, you could use them in a 5.1 and use the rear surround back to bi-amp your fronts. I know my AVR300 has the same gain in those channels and even give you the specifics on how to hook them up for the mains in the AVR manual...a lot of people on the Arcam site recommended to do the bi-amping for the fronts. I use the ADP's on the side walls and they sound fantastic. I have a set-up DVD...I think video essentials that creates a full 360 degree test tone and with the dipoles it creates an imaginary sound image in the rear...very weird to hear that because knowing theres no speakers back there :eek:

...just another option. I don't even know if you can bi-amp with the Dennon, don't know much about them but definitely w/Arcam...I haven't yet bi-amped becuase I'm still in the set-up phase and have finally established the sweetspot for all my speakers, but thats next to do ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.