AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After tons of research I decided to buy a HDC TM-90.

I went back and forth between the SD90 and the Canon M40 before settling on the Panasonic.

The things that pushed me to the Panny were the Wide Angle and the great stabilized zoom. (The two things that really drew me to the Canon were the better low light and the availability of aftermarket batteries, but in the end the Wide angle won me over.)

My mind was made up to get the SD90 but then BestBuy had the TM90 for 459 and I had a credit there for 165 for a returned refurbish JVC GZ-HM30 I had bought.

Hopefully the weather will hold up and I can give it a workout this weekend.

Thanks to everyone for all the posts on this forum and the tests on camcorderinfo....I feel like I really did my homework on this one. (Unlike the JVC GZ-HM30 I returned)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Funny, just finally pulled the trigger myself too today. After reading on the threads here for months, I settled on the TM90 for its wide-angle, 60p and decent low-light capabilities. Seems like best compromise for the price right now. Hope we made the right choice!

Cheers,

Laverdure

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Well the video I took this past weekend with the TM90 blows me away so I look at it as I saved about $370 at the time I bought mine.

Plus with a little experimenting the image can be amazing with the 90 series. Use manual mode which is still in auto until you change shutter and/or gain. If you force outside color temp for outside shots that can enhance image quality in difficult shooting light. Same goes for indoor incandescent. Lower exposure to limit excessive highlight clipping the colors become vivid and the image more depth. Then again you should do that with any camcorder.

The wider angle lens came in handy and imediately a long zoom without having to install a wide angle lens then take it off for long zoom was sweet.

Auto still works great but to get that extra pop and color purity you have to make a few minor adjustments in some lighting conditions.

Plus its small and doesn't get in the way...especially with a wide angle lens like I had on my old camera.

As far as the battery unless you need to run the camera well over an hour without stopping the battery that comes with it will last plenty long enough. I bought one extra standard battery and a cheap wasabi charger that works great...even charges in my car. I recorded a graduation and party footage after and the battery lasted all day with 20 minutes left on the battery at the end of the day.

Ron

·
Registered
906 Posts
Don''t get me wrong, the TM90 makes a fine picture. But for me i prefer the sharper and better low light performance of the TM900. I actually had both side by side and yes the zoom is nice on the TM90..but the pic quality can not match the 900.

·
Registered
135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy /forum/post/20844974

... I bought one extra standard battery and a cheap wasabi charger that works great...even charges in my car. I recorded a graduation and party footage after and the battery lasted all day with 20 minutes left on the battery at the end of the day.

Ron

Hi can I ask where did you buy the spare battery and how much?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took it out to play with it today and have to say first impressions are excellent.

The zoom with stabilization is amazing. Picture quality is fantastic.

I also love the size...just right. Fits in my pocket and just big enough to use comfortably.

The built in video light is a nice surprise.

One thing I will say is I would gladly give up the internal memory for a second sd card slot like the Canon I was looking at has. Transfering the recorded video off the built in memory kind of sucks.

Ill end up getting a 32gb sd card and setting it to record there.

One question.

I used the included HDWriter software to move the video clips to my PC and see that it also moves a lot of .tmb and .cont files with them.

Is there some setting to not transfer those?

·
Registered
3,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barteaux /forum/post/20847767

Don''t get me wrong, the TM90 makes a fine picture. But for me i prefer the sharper and better low light performance of the TM900. I actually had both side by side and yes the zoom is nice on the TM90..but the pic quality can not match the 900.

I understand that. The TM90 is a cheaper camera so there is a compromise but the TM90 is still better than a majority of other camcorders out there. Plus I saw some posting that one person sold his 900 and bought the 90. Its a compromise between slightly better picture and camera size and zoom capabilities. I wanted as small as I could get with great picture quality. What I feel I got was the best feature set along with that. Maybe you just have to have the best picture but remember next year there will be something better. Its all in the compromise one for the other. Also colors do look better in outside shots when I reduce exposure on my TM90. When you reduce the highlight over saturation the CMOS looks a lot better. Did you try that when you had it?

My old camera was a 3 chip design so I understand it has a greater dynamic range so it looks better but reducing exposure on a single chip design can yield very good results too. IMHO

·
Registered
3,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 /forum/post/20848079

Took it out to play with it today and have to say first impressions are excellent.

The zoom with stabilization is amazing. Picture quality is fantastic.

I also love the size...just right. Fits in my pocket and just big enough to use comfortably.

The built in video light is a nice surprise.

One thing I will say is I would gladly give up the internal memory for a second sd card slot like the Canon I was looking at has. Transfering the recorded video off the built in memory kind of sucks.

Ill end up getting a 32gb sd card and setting it to record there.

One question.

I used the included HDWriter software to move the video clips to my PC and see that it also moves a lot of .tmb and .cont files with them.

Is there some setting to not transfer those?

Sure! You can just copy from the camera to your hard drive without using the software. Use Splash lite to play back the files. I prefer using the panasonic software though. I thought the conversion to 1080I from 1080p looked very good even comparing it to what Sony Vegas Pro could do with conversions. I have not tried it yet but you can use a combination of the camcorder and software to convert to 1080I much more quickly than on the PC alone. The resulting 1080I looks sharper than directly recordng to 1080I in the camera. Less motion blur on pans when the recording was shot in 1080p then converted.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the tips!

Another stupid question...either using HDwriter or drag and drop from cam to pc only lets me 'copy' files to pc.

After I copy them over they are still on my Pany flash drive.

Is there a way to 'cut' and paste them?

Im not at home so dont have access to my manual at the moment.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 /forum/post/20850469

Thanks for the tips!

Another stupid question...either using HDwriter or drag and drop from cam to pc only lets me 'copy' files to pc.

After I copy them over they are still on my Pany flash drive.

Is there a way to 'cut' and paste them?

Im not at home so dont have access to my manual at the moment.

Thanks!

Cut and paste still does a copy but after its copied it will delete what is on the camera. I just format the internal flash after I copy and verify the files are good on the PC.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy /forum/post/20850513

Cut and paste still does a copy but after its copied it will delete what is on the camera. I just format the internal flash after I copy and verify the files are good on the PC.

Im not getting any option to cut and paste....only copy and paste.

It may be some kind of permissions or protect problem.

Good tip on the reformat, guess I can do that.

Thanks again....Ill be back for some more questions/problems Im sure!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 /forum/post/20850615

Im not getting any option to cut and paste....only copy and paste.

It may be some kind of permissions or protect problem.

Good tip on the reformat, guess I can do that.

Thanks again....Ill be back for some more questions/problems Im sure!

Format using the camera! Although since you said cut and paste doesn't work you probably can't delete or format using the PC.

·
Registered
135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy /forum/post/20850811

Format using the camera! Although since you said cut and paste doesn't work you probably can't delete or format using the PC.

Delete the video files on TM90 is not allowed from pc. I guess is when you connect camcorder to pc the flash drive is 'being' used by camcorder so they are locked by camcorder.

Normally I delete the video files from camcorder touch screen after I copied to my pc. I have not ever formatted the flash drive since I have bought it.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Tse /forum/post/20851148

Delete the video files on TM90 is not allowed from pc. I guess is when you connect camcorder to pc the flash drive is 'being' used by camcorder so they are locked by camcorder.

Normally I delete the video files from camcorder touch screen after I copied to my pc. I have not ever formatted the flash drive since I have bought it.

Yea thats probably what Ill do.

Next thing is a 32gb card and an extra battery or 2.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barteaux /forum/post/20851080

I too your suggestion and lowered exposure some. the results are great thanks. Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R20bcNGcyo

With your camera you can turn on the zebra pattern and that will tell you where the image is maxed out. Then lower exposure so that you have a minor amount of zebra in bright sunlight.

Your clip looks great!

You could adjust it manually for each scene but I find that when playing back clips the average brightness shifts too much. So best to lower exposure by an equal amount for all scenes. I am still experimenting with my TM90 for the best settings. I find -4 looks good but I may end up on -3. I have a calibrated JVC LCOS projector with 2.22 gamma and peak Ft-L of about 15-17 and judge over all brightness and picture quality on a 10 foot diagonal screen. I also look at the images on my Sony XBR LCD plat panel.

I think what I will probably do is use manual mode for outdoor use and jump to auto indoors without the exposure reduction. I need to experiment more with indoor shots but some of the footage I shot indoors at the football hall of fame last week looks really good using the auto settings. There was only one scene that the color temp shifted from incandescent levels. Far better than my old Sony SD DVCAM. Panasonic makes some nice video cameras!

One of the scene settings on the camera looks good too! The setting for use where people are under a spot light. Looks similar to an exposure setting of -5 when outside but indoors it looks brighter than the -5 exposure setting.

Update: Just ran some tests with the subjects under spot light scene setting and I like what I see. Indoors you still get a bright average illumination but point it at a light in the room and it dims a lot more than in scene mode off mode reducing any highlight over saturation right to the limit of saturation. This is a good setting for outdoor scenery use. Some may not like how much the average brightness varies when light intensity changes too much especially indoors or at dusk when there are shadows. You could jump back to intelligent auto mode when indoors so that subjects in the video are still illuminated and you can see them but I think this mode will work well outdoors in scenery shots were you don't want the sky to turn white. So it stays blue. indoors and at dusk outside going back to intelligent auto will probably be better so subjects or people are still illuminated and you can see them better.

Reducing exposure by 3 or 4 just makes everything dimmer but also a good compromise reducing the amount of highlight clipping if the under spot light scene mode is too much.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Tse /forum/post/20851148

I think the manual suggest you reformat from time to time. Deleting fragments the flash. Format wipes it clean and minimizes any errors. It says when you add a new external flash to format it before use.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.