AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I love the boards, about the 20th times I've been here, and I've learned so much. But still really confused on several aspects of HTPC's.

Either way since I couldn't get my hands on the M Series from RCA, I ended up getting the RCA-D36120. It claims to be a high resolution HD Monitor and has the VGA/RGP Input on the back but so far I'm having 0 luck on using it with my computer...

I have a very high powered computer but it using a ati radeon 8500. I've also tried using it with a GeForce 2 GPS card with no luck either.

Basicaly what I get is a purple screen kicking in and out....

Was this a bad choice for a HDTV to use a computer moniter? Are the high dollar plasmas the only way to go?

Either way thanks so much for any info.. Really apreciate it..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and yes even though I am a ONE post wounder, I have browsed these boards for a good amount of time. I guess I'm just a slow learner :(

Forgot to mention... I'm not looking for the typical Video Card (S-Video) to TV picture.. I was hoping for something better, maybe I just thought wrong and my only hope is a 10,000 plus TV :(

Once again thanks for any insight!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Off the top of my head, it sounds like a refresh rate/resolution problem. Don't know the exact specs of your TV, but my RCA HD Monitor can only sync up to a Max of 800*600 w/ Max refresh rate of 72hz. Anything above this, and screen becomes a scrambled mess of nothing. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I also have an RCA - older model M36100 that doesn't claim to be capable of HIDTV viewing - just capable of high resolution (HD resolution in a 4*3; but not when its letterboxed).

Anyway the native "plug and play" resolution is 800*600; and power strip allows it to display 1024*768 (Using a radeon le video card with radeon tweaking enabled). Seems hard to believe that a newer model which is claimed capable of HDTV resolutions could not at least match these resolutions

·
Registered
148 Posts
I, too, have a D36120. It does *NOT* do plug and play, unfortunately. The VGA input is extremely picky and is basically designed to work only with a DTC-100. That said, once I gave in and bought a very good transcoder, everything has fallen into place and I've got some very pretty pictures on the screen. I haven't pushed the resolution up very far yet, but it looks very nice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a RCA MM32110 which I used with a PC. I found that the RCA plug-and-play didn't really work with my Nvidia card under Windows 98. (It did seem to plug-and-play properly under Windows 2000.) Anyway, I had to set the monitor manually as an 800 x 600 x 60 Hz monitor. Then I got a picture. I still had problems when I launched certain games, though. Even though I made sure the games weren't set above 800 x 600, often the change in resolution/refresh would result in a blank display for me. After much trial-and-error, I finally discovered a way to make it work all the time. I had to go to control panel, display, settings, advanced, device selection, device adjustments. The default was let Windows PNP control the timing and that didn't work. There were 2 other choices, general timing formula and discrete. As I remember, either of those selections cleared up my problem. Of course, everytime I updated my video drivers, I had to make all these manual changes again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a RCA MM32110 which I used with a PC. I found that the RCA plug-and-play didn't really work with my Nvidia card under Windows 98. (It did seem to plug-and-play properly under Windows 2000.) Anyway, I had to set the monitor manually as an 800 x 600 x 60 Hz monitor. Then I got a picture. I still had problems when I launched certain games, though. Even though I made sure the games weren't set above 800 x 600, often the change in resolution/refresh would result in a blank display for me. After much trial-and-error, I finally discovered a way to make it work all the time. I had to go to control panel, display, settings, advanced, device selection, device adjustments. The default was let Windows PNP control the timing and that didn't work. There were 2 other choices, general timing formula and discrete. As I remember, either of those selections cleared up my problem. Of course, everytime I updated my video drivers, I had to make all these manual changes again.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have the Proscan PS32810, which is equal to the RCA MM32110. Under win98, winME, and XP, my radeon 7000 is plug and play. It shows found new hardware- Proscan, and then sets it to 800x600 60hz. It looks pretty good. Actually I just upgraded to XP yesterday and I feel the quality went down from ME.

Can I really get 1024*768 with Powerstrip? Do you know if this is on the PC input or the digital TV input? I have heard that you can trick it on the dig tv input. I am already using that though. What about the PC input? Does that resolution really look that much better? And in what apps? Just DVD, or all of them?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Quote:
Can I really get 1024*768 with Powerstrip? Do you know if this is on the PC input or the digital TV input? I have heard that you can trick it on the dig tv input. I am already using that though. What about the PC input? Does that resolution really look that much better? And in what apps? Just DVD, or all of them?
I don't know on your monitor - but with mine (36100) it is by using the regular video card output (not pass-through) into the regular computer vga input on the TV. I don't notice any improvement in DVD playback; I think this auto switches to 800 by 600. It looks great to me; all I really know is that it gets terribly degraded if I use my TV's component inputs say from a DVD as these are not HD capable and will not even display a progressive scan signal. For normal computer viewing and surfing the internet it is a tradeoff. Sitting in the easy chair across the room I need the 800*600 to view webpages - making sure I have my glasses on. If I want to get off my duff and get around 6 feet away from the monitor then the extra real estate from 1024*768 is worthwhile. Certainly it still doesn't look as nice as it would on a 20" computer monitor no matter what. Remember these are huge dot-pitches compared with those of a normal monitor.

So the other hi-definition input in my case is another VGA input; and this takes the HiPix card output and that is it.

I would imagine is all RCA did is convert one of the VGAs into a component Hi-def input as they went up in model number; so that you folks can probably input a progressive scan DVD signal properly into the component input.

I would think that you also may be capable of getting my identical situation if you manually set your monitor to what mine comes up as plug and play (TCR2774 (11-9-2001 for the windows millenium driver). After all the tubes look the same and the max number of pixels seems the same at around 800,000

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow I checked this post a bit after I posted it and got no replies so I gave up. Came back a month later and these are the replies I find.

All I can say is thank you very much for the info provided here.

Cord - When I did several searches before on this board for people with the same tv monitor having the same problems, your name always came up.

That's awesome that you finnaly got yours working with powerstrip and a transcoder. I was woundering if you could tell me witch transcoder you got and a little bit more about the powerstrip settings your using.

Any help is much apreciated from a fellow Austinite!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.