Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WELCOME ME, DAMNIT!! :D

I've got a highly hacked TiVo that I simply love, and saw the deal for a $150 ReplayTV (after rebate) @ Buy.com and bought it on impulse.

Am I going to regret it once it arrives (either Wednesday or Thursday)?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
No status bar!

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Welcome!

Bayside is indeed saying there is no status bar on ReplayTV, however there is a button called "display" which will tell you (timewise) where you are in a recorded show.

Unless you get one of the lemons, I think you'll be pretty happy with the 5K series. However the best of the best features are available when you have more than one networked 5K. You can get limited benefit from using the DVArchive software to offload shows to your PC.

Best,

Matthew.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Having had a TiVo for about a year and a ReplayTV for about 3 weeks (and just received my second last week), I'm still trying to decide for myself which I like better.

Both offer similar overall functionality, but both have strengths and weaknesses. I only have one TiVo so I haven't been able to play around with the "multi-unit" features, but my impression is that RTV is much better in this area. But I really do like the MP3 playback feature of my TiVo since it's a perfect way to tie my PC-based MP3s into my Home Entertainment System.

I haven't hacked around with the TiVo much yet, but I think RTV is also better for power users that aren't afraid of PCs, routers, and playing around with tools available on the Internet.

Given the great deals on the 5040's, I'm actually considering getting a third unit and then upgrading the hard drive, but I'm trying to resist the temptation since I already bought 2 last month.

Once setup, I think anyone could be satisfied with either one, but for the "technically challenged" like my mother, I'd probably recommend the TiVo and for the "technically savvy" I'd recommend the RTV.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man, I hope I don't get a "lemon"...and with the recent barrage of "locked up" and "frozen" threads on this forum, I wonder if I should have waited for a more stable update to the software.

Is this locking up problem as serious as it seems here? How many of you RTV users are getting locked up?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
You'll find the MAJORITY of users don't have major issues; myself included...fingers crossed.;)

I've had mine (5040 refurb upgraded to a 5160 and through 3 different software releases) about 3 months. The only issue I have is an audio hiss that's noticeable if you use an external amp/receiver. It wouldn't affect you unless you used the internal tuner; and then only affects some of us.

But, you WILL hear the most from people WITH major problems.

I've been very happy with mine so far, and look forward to future updates that make it even better.:D

BTW, I haven't had a lock up once...except when I made the mistake of running DVArichve (one of the reasons I bought this...thanks again Gerry) and turned on the replay. It locked, but a reboot fixed all...my own mistake.:(

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I have two 5060s and they have been pretty darn solid. I've had perhaps two lockups in the last 3 months or so.

Best,

Matthew in CO.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I wouldn't worry bout it Sphyix... Odds are you won't experience any lockups. And the next version of the software they'll push to your machine (Code name Alcatraz) promises to be more stable then ever (get it.. "The Rock?").

Anyway, standard advice around here is to chill with your new machine for a minimum of 30 days to determine non-lemon status before doing anything radical like crackin' that bad boy open and throwing in twin 250GB hard drives. Some would even suggest waiting until the full warranty expires (because you void the warranty when you open the case).

The networking features of the Replay (which you can use with DVArchive running as a Replay simulator (for lack of a better word) on a networked PC, are going to be the biggest difference from TIVO in my opinion.

And oh yeah, I almost forgot

WELCOME, DAMNIT!

·
Registered
744 Posts
You have stepped out of the darkness and into the light.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ditto....WELCOME DAMMIT :D .I think you will most definitely like the RTV better .I ,like most of us knuckle heads did alot of research before deciding on RTV.If you like to geek around with TV,PC's,and electronics in general this is the place to be. I just ordered my second 5040 for the wife so she can get her shows without messing with my experiments...:D .Also this board is chocked full of info and tools and such .DVA is the best thing since sliced bread,I would encourage getting it...and oh ya ..you will be upgrading the HD with RTV PATCH for sure. Alot of people have put together some good hacking stuff for these and I for one am grateful..thanks folks :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.