AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
nice tv, great picture, but the input lag time is noticeable from my 36" toshiba 1080i CRT at my parents house. even with game mode on, it just feels a little "off". when i bought this i saw the response time was very low, like 5ms or something. i didnt know about input lag or anything, i pretty much thought response time was the same thing. now i dont know a whole lot but i need a tv primarily for gaming and movies, and im wondering if i need to get this thing calibrated or mess with the settings more to get it to a level thats acceptable for gaming (i play fps and fighters like virtua fighter 5), or is this pretty much as good as it gets and should i go with plasma?

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by honor man /forum/post/18224759

nice tv, great picture, but the input lag time is noticeable from my 36" toshiba 1080i CRT at my parents house. even with game mode on, it just feels a little "off". when i bought this i saw the response time was very low, like 5ms or something. i didnt know about input lag or anything, i pretty much thought response time was the same thing. now i dont know a whole lot but i need a tv primarily for gaming and movies, and im wondering if i need to get this thing calibrated or mess with the settings more to get it to a level thats acceptable for gaming (i play fps and fighters like virtua fighter 5), or is this pretty much as good as it gets and should i go with plasma?

Your "response time" of 5ms (I'm pretty sure it's less than that) refers to how long it takes for a pixel to change from one frame to the next and really has nothing to do with input lag. Gaming lag is caused by the amount of time necessary for the tv to process an incoming signal and put it on the screen, and on some sets, especially Samsungs, can exceed 60ms even in game mode. There are no adjustments to speed this up beyond what happens in game mode. The fastest lcds as far as processing lag are Sharps in Game mode. The fastest flat panels overall are Panasonic plasmas.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
take a look at the thread in my sig, input lag is a major problem for many LCD TV's sold today and current Samsung's are often the worst offenders in this problem.

panasonic plasma's are another option they have less input lag than most LCD TV's even without being in game mode, you need to keep in mind though with plasma you have to be careful about leaving static images on the screen for too long or you can get IR and if you really abuse the TV permanent burn in can occur. that being said I play games on our plasma fairly often as well as many other people on these fourms and its not a major problem with Panasonic plasmas but other brands have more rapid burn in like samsungs

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
panasonic plasmas? have you had trouble with rising black levels? otherwise it seems like a good tv.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by honor man /forum/post/18225778

panasonic plasmas? have you had trouble with rising black levels? otherwise it seems like a good tv.

not as of yet, doesn't have enough hours on it to have had the problem though but tbh black levels if even doubled will still be better than most LCD's esp at off angles but it is a legitimate concern esp for people who bought them because of the black levels for their theater room etc.

he was inquiring on input lag though and gaming, panny plasmas make good gaming TV's as long as your careful about how you use it and take steps to prevent IR but there are LCD's out there that do good as well like the sharp E77U series and LG LH90's to name a few

·
Registered
191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by honor man /forum/post/18232499

i think i will go with a panasonic plasma, they seem to be pretty awesome from what you guys said and what ive read elsehwere. which one of these do you guys think is the best? why are the prices different? they all seem the same to me more or less. thanks.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasoni...&skuId=9786054

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasoni...&skuId=9788953

The G is THX Certified and has Infinite Black.
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think i am going for the panasonic TC50PS14 50" plasma. it has been discontinued so they are selling at best buy for $930! the only difference between that and the other models i posted appears to be that it doesnt have the online widgets like yahoo and youtube (which i couldnt care less about since i prefer to do that sort of thing on my pc), and that it isnt thx certified. but its still a plasma so it will look awesome. does this seem like a good choice to you guys? i am exchanging the samsung for it and will get $470 back and have a better tv (at least for my needs). seems like a win win situation all around.\\

but just like the more expensive panasonics it is 1080p, 600hZ, 2,000,000:1 native contrast, etc. etc. seems like a good deal and frankly i dont see how someone would pay hundreds more just for the ability to see the temperature and watch youtube videos on their tv.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
should i buy the panasonic tc50ps14 or mthe tcp50s2? the s14 is 370 cheaper but doesnt have game mode and has 5120 shades of gradation compared to the s2s 6144. other than that they are pretty much the same. do i even need a game mode for plasma?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i bought the pansonic s2. im happy with the purcharse but im nervous about the supposed rising black levels and of course, burn-in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts