AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I am gonna build my 4K gaming PC once Nvidia's Volta rolls around. By then, there should be gobs of high-quality 4K monitors at 32-39 inches. These smaller ones just aren't my cup of tea.

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
28" is a good size if it's on a desk. i'm still on the fence as to what to do. i want one but REALLY want a 120hz 4K lol.

·
Registered
16,584 Posts
4K 120Hz would require quad SLi 780's / Titan's for the more demanding games, ouch!

Jason

·
Registered
3,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG  /t/1521823/just-bought-a-samsung-u28d590d-28-4k-60hz-display#post_24466625

28" is a good size if it's on a desk. i'm still on the fence as to what to do. i want one but REALLY want a 120hz 4K lol.

Those are coming with the next DisplayPort. At least two years away though.

·
Registered
8,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA  /t/1521823/just-bought-a-samsung-u28d590d-28-4k-60hz-display#post_24467440

Those are coming with the next DisplayPort. At least two years away though.

Ya but Im not in a huge hurry anyways. Ive got quad titans right now but by the time 120hz 4k is mainstream, I will have been through 3 generations of cards lol

·
Registered
16,584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG  /t/1521823/just-bought-a-samsung-u28d590d-28-4k-60hz-display#post_24470272

Ya but Im not in a huge hurry anyways. Ive got quad titans right now but by the time 120hz 4k is mainstream, I will have been through 3 generations of cards lol

What do you play that uses that kind of power (even at 1600p)?

Jason

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
2560 x 1600 but I was running SLI'd titans for a long time but a mechanic at work needed some paint work done on his 69 chevelle and I traded hime for his 2 EVGA SC's titans (including Razer blocks) 2 months ago
All are voltage modded and running 1.3V on water. It's uber overkill for any game I play but I couldn't say no to that deal, especially since I had maybe 4 hours total time to paint his new hood and 2 fenders... Gravy deal for me

·
Registered
16,584 Posts
Well that's simply awesome and please allow me to say how much you suck.

Jason

·
Registered
18,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I just got it tonight. I had to buy a plug-adapter for it because it came with a Korean style plug (even though it's a dual-voltage monitor).

It's a nice looking monitor, probably the nicest looking one I've ever had. It's pleasing to the eye. Figuring out hot to attach the base to the monitor took me a few minutes, but after I figured out the pictures (Korean directions) it was smooth sailing.

First thing I noticed straight off upon turning it on: BACKLIGHT BLEED!!!! Tons of it. All over the screen. The worst case I've ever had in a display. I must have gotten a bad one.
Had I bought it from Amazon I might return it, but since I bought it from Korea I'm not going to pay to ship it back. Not worth it. I'll just fool around with the settings and learn to live with it.

The display itself is nice. It's shocking how much real estate there is on a UHD display. Text was so small I had to enlarge it in Windows settings to read.

As for gaming, I only ran one quick benchmark, and that was Thief, with all settings maxed out and I managed 55.6fps- and this is with 3 Titans.

·
Registered
10,435 Posts
I got an off topic dumb followup...how do you power that rig of yours? I never did a multi-psu system but was wondering if yours was........

·
Registered
16,584 Posts
There are single power supplies out there (~1500w) that can run quad Titan's.

Jason

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
I run 2 Corsair AX1200i's. Although I could get by with a few single units, each GPU can pull 300 watts from the wall with the voltage mod and OC'd, not including the dual pumps, 4.9oc on my 3930k etc. No matter, as soon as haswell -E hits in the next few months, I'll be getting the 8 core extreme and ddr4 and hopefully upgrade to Nvidias Maxwell once their flagship cards hit. I don't think I'll ever go quad GPU's again but like I said, I got them for a smoking deal. I'd also like a bit more room than the 900D offers, so I think my next case will be the caselabs mag 10, it's funny to think that the 900D is small but I've got the entire case gutted to bare inside and still not enough room lol... ahh first world problems haha

·
Registered
8,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi  /t/1521823/just-bought-a-samsung-u28d590d-28-4k-60hz-display#post_24515719

I have a Antec 1200w Gold. I could probably power 4 Titans off that if I wanted.

Ya you likely could stock, not OC'd though you would be pushing even a 1500 supply if you had other stuff on it as well. I had the 4 running on 1 ax1200i but once OC'd it would shut down about 5 seconds into any bench I would run.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Peace!

I've already tried 2 monitors utilizing DP an hdmi and dvi-d-hdmi (it actually exist) connection ati 7750, r7 260x, haswell 4 k rapness.

And the results are terrible, monitor seldom looses connection, on haswell it goes black with WIN+D, on 280 gtx and vaio vpcse both HDMI 1920x1440 it goes black on Opera with youtube.

for radeons results aren't same, 7750 was good for desktop but not for a long time, already mentioned Thief destroys my vision by approaching second window, i mean in game. 260x was a tough guy  sometimes everething is fine for long run but in the end its all the same black screen without reason. OP have you tried playing for an hour. I can even provide V-I-D-E-O later.  Eco Scheiße  power saving features turned off.

msi x87 gaming ac, PSU 750, zalman fx70, i7 4770s

Some plextor hdd win 8.1.

·
Registered
18,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbonjorno  /t/1521823/just-bought-a-samsung-u28d590d-28-4k-60hz-display#post_24531608

Peace!

I've already tried 2 monitors utilizing DP an hdmi and dvi-d-hdmi (it actually exist) connection ati 7750, r7 260x, haswell 4 k rapness.

And the results are terrible, monitor seldom looses connection, on haswell it goes black with WIN+D, on 280 gtx and vaio vpcse both HDMI 1920x1440 it goes black on Opera with youtube.

for radeons results aren't same, 7750 was good for desktop but not for a long time, already mentioned Thief destroys my vision by approaching second window, i mean in game. 260x was a tough guy  sometimes everething is fine for long run but in the end its all the same black screen without reason. OP have you tried playing for an hour. I can even provide V-I-D-E-O later.  Eco Scheiße  power saving features turned off.

msi x87 gaming ac, PSU 750, zalman fx70, i7 4770s

Some plextor hdd win 8.1.

I'm sorry, I think there might be a language barrier as I really don't understand your post.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Thanks for answer anyway. 

Long story short. I've tried two monitors and both of them goes out of sync without reason. With "Out of sync" i mean black screen instead of desktop or FULL screen game. I heve picture sometimes but not alweys. 

I' ve tried DP 1.2 (display port version 1.2) HDMI version1.4?, DVI-D to HDMI. My video card are AMD radeon HD 7750, AMD radeon r7 260x, EVGA GeForce 280 GTX HO, and intel graphiks wich are integrated in CPU i7 4770s HASWELL.  

·
Registered
7 Posts

OP have you tried playing some game for hour or may be more? I mean playing  on that monitor for long with or without any trouble.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts