AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I finally jumped on the Rear Projection HDTV bandwagon. I have been looking for a set in the 50 to 57 inch range for almost a month now, and I finally narrowed in on one and made a purchase.

It took me some time, but I ended up deciding that anything bigger than 53 inches was too big. So the 55 inch models and the 57 inch models went out the window. I was basically left with 3 models to decide from. The Sony 51 inch (KP51HW40) and the Toshiba 50 inch (50HX81), as well as the Pioneer 53 inch (SD533HD5). I would have loved to have gotten the Pioneer, but that model was simply out of my price range. The only places that actually had it in stock were selling it for $2999.99 and wouldn't go any lower whatsoever. I just didn't want to spend that kind of money. As for the HX model of the 50 inch Toshiba, I also liked this one alot, but once again, just a little too pricey for my blood.

So I decided to go with the Sony 51 inch widescreen. I was able to work out a great deal and get the Sony for $2,099.99 . To get that price I had to agree to buy a 3 year extended warranty for $310.00 as well as buy two other items. I bought the Hughes HIRD-E86 Direct TV HDTV STD for $399.99, and I also got some Energy surround sound speakers for $199.99 for a pair. I was able to get the manager to lower the price of the Hughes STD a 100 bucks, as well as lower the speakers a 100 bucks.

Of course, the real reason I was able to get all this stuff at a reduced price is because I used to work for this audio-video chain. I slaved my butt for them for 3 long years. Working overtime, during nights and weekends, and missing all the great sporting events and holidays. If I still worked there, I would have gotten an even better deal, but I'm very happy with the deal I was able to get.

I have to wait a week and a half before it will be delivered, but I will definitely post again about how everything looks, once I get it all set up.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Anthony1,

Don't forget to get into the setup and set axis=1 to get rid of the red push. Also remember the setting is a per input one. You'll need to change it on both of your component inputs.

My KP-51HW40 has been great ... except that in "Wide Zoom" mode the convergence on the outside 8" area is really bad. But I never watch it in that mode so I have not pursued correction.

Bob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.