AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finnaly convinced my dad to buy an HDTV, to be exact, the Panasonic 47" 16x9 HDTV. We got it for 1799, quite a good price. Well it isn't here yet but I spent quite a long time playing with it in the store, and I love it already. 480p and 1080i modes, Split Screen TV, ways to stretch the image, lots of inputs and one on the front. I really like this TV.

We have 2 TiVos too, so we brought one to the store to test the picture quality and it was good also. And since we have TiVo we won't be using the TV fully yet on basic cable.

I was wonder what the best options are for getting HDTV broadcasts, and the cheapest/best Progressive Scan DVD players to get. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Avian:

I was wonder what the best options are for getting HDTV broadcasts, and the cheapest/best Progressive Scan DVD players to get. Thanks!
Well I don't know about your local area, you might want to post a thread in the Programming section called who lives near X town. You might be able to get a lot of your local affiliates off the air.

Unfortunately you still need an HDTV tuner. Your best bet is to get one that has satellite built into it so if u ever want to get satellite (if u don't already have it) then its a good idea.

Why would you want to get satellite? Because unless your in a lucky area the only way to get Showtime and HBO in HDTV is through Dishnetwork. The echostar 6000 is a good unit. I have one and like it for the most part.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I have a toshiba TW40x81 myself. When I used DirecTV I bought a DTC-100 because it was the only thing available at the time. It was still a great option just because it had 2 tuners on it which I needed since at the time Cablevision was doing HDTV as well.

I don't recomend going with DirecTV though. I had them for a while and liked them, but they have no real HDTV commitment. They have been promising Discovery HD since back in like 99, and promising showtime HD sinc last year, and then earlier this year there was supposed to be 2 new channels according to rumors, but that fell through. It all seems like a ploy to stop there customers from switching to Dish. It worked on me for a little while, but then I wised up and left them.

The echostar 6000 is the only really good solution Dish has currently for HDTV. There is the 5000 also which is good if you want to record HBO, and Showtime in HD. They have some more models coming out with PVR features also, but who knows exactly when they will be out.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.