AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this IR extender from Amazon.

Installed it no problem. Controls an old Sony AVR just fine and a Roku 2. However it won't seem to control either a Panasonic BD65 Blu-ray player or my Tivo HD Premiere.

I don't know what the deal is. I have located the IR port on the Panny (still not sure exactly on the Tivo...but still) and it still doesn't seem to relay the signal. I can see that the IR receiver is getting the signal from the remote and I can see that the IR controller is working with it's status LED light.

So I don't know what to do. I have tried all sorts of minute positions on both the Panny and Tivo. No luck. Their original remotes work no problem as does the Harmony One if right up to it but obviously that doesn't help the situation.

I have also tried using some of the other unused IR emitters that came with the unit and have also tried other ports on the controller. No luck.

Any ideas? This would alleviate a big headache in my house.

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know. It's kinda dumb for it not to work. I can't think of anything you'd recommend to me either.

But still.... any ideas? I've tried to get them positioned and the Panny never works. The Tivo seems like it works in one position but then nothing gets moved and later on it suddenly just won't get IR commands until I reposition it again.

Do I need maybe a more powerful emitter? Where can I get one?

I really need this to work.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a Xantech IR repeater that wouldn't control my Bell 9241 HD PVR (Dishnet VIP612). I contacted Xantech & was told that I needed to replace the IR sensor as the one I had wasn't dual-band & wouldn't operate at the PVR's IR frequency. I have a feeling that's your problem since there's no mention of dual-band in the description. I bought a $20 one from Monoprice that worked, but Logitech replaced my Harmony One with a Touch, so I don't use it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Sony is at 40KHz, while Panasonic, Roku, and Tivo are all 38KHz. So a dual band repeater (which will also handle 56KHz) isn't likely to fix the issue. Furthermore, Roku uses the NEC1 IR protocol and TIvo uses a very slight variation of NEC. The timing of these two IR signals is the same, so it is very difficult to imagine that one works and the other doesn't.

One possibility is infrared interference which may affect one unit more than another. For example a plasma TV can put out enough IR from the screen to confuse IR receivers. It's worth checking if any source of IR (radiator, heating duct, etc.) is causing trouble. You may be able to shield the IR sensor from those possible interfering sources.

Also, paradoxically, the repeater might have too strong of a signal. Try covering the IR sensor of the non-functioning units with masking tape.

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey gang.

Well, I bought the dual-IR frequency repeater from Monoprice.... works like a charm! Even have the emitters from the other model still working on the Roku, Sony and JVC tv. The newer emitters from the Monoprice one are attached to the Panny BD player and Tivo. All of which run to the new control box and the other one was removed. Then swapped the other IR receiver with the new one just to be sure. Everything works great!

Thanks!

·
Registered
527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian  /t/1522602/just-bought-an-ir-extend...-bd65-and-tivo-premiere-series4#post_24516676

Then swapped the other IR receiver with the new one just to be sure. Everything works great!
Do you mean that either control unit (the Amazon one or the Monoprice) will control everything now that the new emitters are installed? That would imply that the emitters were the problem. Or do you mean that when you swapped in the old control unit it didn't control the Panasonic or Tivo? Or perhaps by "control unit" and "IR receiver" you're referring to dissimilar parts of the system?

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah. What I swapped out was the first control box and it's IR receiver that I had put on top of the tv.

What I did was run the newer emitters to the Tivo and Panny BD player that were not working. I kept the previous IR emitters still attached to the Roku, Sony AVR and JVC hdtv as they had worked and kept working when I swapped out the control box. So I am using two different emitters (the lil guys attached to the components to control), no problem but one control box and IR receiver.

Lol at this point it works fine so I'm just gonna keep it this way.

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher  /t/1522602/just-bought-an-ir-extend...-bd65-and-tivo-premiere-series4#post_24532534

My vote still goes for the IR receiver being the problem.

Possibly but no matter now!

All is good and it works great in all our rooms. Bought some more after last posting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.