AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Listening setup: 85% movies 15% music

I'm starting to test and find placement for the new sub, but is there any reason I should leave the old sub in place or completely remove it from the HT?

The polk sounded great until it had to be loud and really low in frequency. If I kept it in (if there is any benefit) I'd imagine that taming the volume down would be smart, but I wasn't sure if there was any benefit, or if placing it back behind the seating area (where it is in front right corner now, likely the sweet spot for the BIC as well).

·
Registered
639 Posts
The normal thing around here is try every possible mix of equip and placement till it sounds best.

Might be with one, maybe two...depending on where they are!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did some back to back tests at same volume level, the BIC easily outplayed the polk.

In music tests, the polk sounded pretty damn good. The bic is better, but not as much as when listening to movies. (I guess a bit of benefit to the 10" woofer in the polk in music)

Tested with transformers BD in trueHD, near the end there's some slo-mo's with bass drops that would cause the polk to bottom out. At volume level 4, the BIC took it and pounded the house.

You can definately feel the Bic more, almost more than you can hear it. The polk was definately the opposite, it sounded great, but you didn't feel it in your chest.

I don't think there is any way based on performance alone that they could coexist, the polk would give up long before the BIC started to break a sweat, and even in reducing volume level, I wouldn't be able to discern a noticable difference versus it being just one sub.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Thanks for your comparison between the two. I currently have the Polk PSW10 and am debating on upgrading. The H-100 is on the short list of possible replacements.

·
Registered
752 Posts
One thing the H-100 will do is be able to create chest thumping bass unless you have a huge room. It'll extend down pretty low while maintaining nice output. It used to be the king of the under $300 subwoofers and is definitely many times better than the PSW10 if you're going for a game/theater application

1 - 5 of 5 Posts