AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Loewe 32" Arcada on impulse for $1400 it seemed like a great deal considering the picture quality... Please tell me I made the right choice. I liked the fact that I could hook up my PC (Digital VCR) Hi-Def STB, and the line doubler in the set even makes old VHS tapes look good. Would appreciate all input.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Trevorsplace,

Loewe is a very highly regarded and respected brand. Their sets consistently receive high marks for image quality.

The bottom line: If you are happy with the set then you made the right choice.

--Jerome

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had a 32" Calida for one year and i love it. The picture is beautiful and very natural even without professional calibration. When I first got the t.v. it kept on turning itself off. They came to my house and installed a new motherboard and I haven't had problems with it again. The only thing is that it might be hard getting support now since Sensory

Science is no longer the distributor. Also, it is a very complicated t.v. Similar to a computer. To hook up a high definition stb or a progressive scan player, you need a vga hook-up throgh a transcoder box which costs about $200.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Loewe made great TV and I will buy their TV in a heartbeat if it is a little cheaper. Is your TV an older model or is it HDTV? $1400 is just an incredible price. Good luck.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a HDTV model but it looks like you have to use VGA in port to get it as it appears that the Component inputs are not progressive. I thought they were when I bought it and now I find that my Toshiba STB can not input into it. I don't know if it's that big of a loss because to be honest the onboard line doubler is suberb, much better than the Toshiba STB. To get true HDTV though I need to think what to do. I have tried to get the VGA input working with a PC without any luck so far. Strange thing is I find very little difference in picture quality between coax in and S-Video in both are great, the S-Video has slight edge but not that much. What ever they are using as a line doubler is great.

Would appreciate any advice from those that own this set.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Boy has good detailed information on this set been difficult to find. From what I have been able to find out it looks like the set is not capable of displaying 1080i only 480P through the VGA in port. So I'm not sure now if DTC-100 (the only STB with VGA) will work with it as it outputs 1080i.. Anyone have a DTC working with the 32" Aconda ???

I do have a couple od days to return the set if I want to. However I'm not sure I want to as the quality of the scaler is so good. I have a Toshiba big screen hi-def in the home theater using a Toshiba DST3000 to drive it and although the quality of the HD channels is exceptional the job it does on SD materiel is pretty lame, I don't even like to watch SD stuff onthat set up. Given that the Loewe Aconda is for the family room where we do most of our regular TV viewing and most of the stuff we watch is not HD I think it mat be worth giving up full HD. Would appreciate any thoughts you have.

·
Registered
540 Posts
That's what I thought, the new model can do 1080i but not the old model. However both model do an exceptional job with SD materials. It's a difficult decision. I think the new model sell for $2300.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I am in a local retailer store couple months ago, they have a last year model Arcada for sale at $1500. They told me older model will not do HD, but the current model will. I asked him how much is the current model and he told me it was $2300. I am not 100% sure, but your model is last year model if it cannot do HD.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.