AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased this tv, and having it delivered on Saturday. Ive been reading non stop since this afternoon and I think I know less than when I started! I saw the starter kit for 400 bucks which seems insane. Do I really need this? I have a ps3, will it play in 3d, or do I need the adaptor? Please help so I know what I need when my tv comes. Also, saw several glasses on ebay, should I avoid these?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movieguru22
I just purchased this tv, and having it delivered on Saturday. Ive been reading non stop since this afternoon and I think I know less than when I started! I saw the starter kit for 400 bucks which seems insane. Do I really need this? I have a ps3, will it play in 3d, or do I need the adaptor? Please help so I know what I need when my tv comes. Also, saw several glasses on ebay, should I avoid these?
For the 638 model that you have bought you will need the converter that comes in the kit so for you it is simplest to get the kit because it comes with the converter (adapter), ir emitter that controls the glasses and 2 glasses.

The 738 and 838 have been updated so that the converter is essentially built into the tv. That tv needs just the emitter and glasses.

Both tvs can make use of dlp link glasses that don't need an emitter. The are controlled by a flash on the screen (when enabled).

I think that's the basics of your question. If you need any more info just ask.

Ps. A lot of people get the terms emitter and adapter/converter mixed up. The emitter is for glasses, the converter is for turning the source into checkerboard format the tv can display.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. So I pretty much have to get the kit to be able to use my ps3 bluray player in 3d? It just seems like a bunch to spend (399) when I just spent so much on the tv. Why oh why did they only update those two models and not mine?
Wonder if mine will get updated.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for the reply. So I pretty much have to get the kit to be able to use my ps3 bluray player in 3d? It just seems like a bunch to spend (399) when I just spent so much on the tv. Why oh why did they only update those two models and not mine?
Wonder if mine will get updated.
Yes, for that tv you will need the kit. You should be happy that your tv can turn off the annoying dlp link flash on the screen. Mine can't. I have a 65736. It really comes down to do you want to pay the difference between your model and the next model up and if it's greater than the cost of the kit. If you look online you can find deals on the 3dc-1000 kit so don't jump at the first one you find for $400. I did and other people have gotten them for much less.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You really are helping me a lot thanks. The folks at best buy were little to no help. Any suggestions on where to look for the kit at a good price? and where to buy extra glasses? Would love to have 4 glasses total.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quote:
You really are helping me a lot thanks. The folks at best buy were little to no help. Any suggestions on where to look for the kit at a good price? and where to buy extra glasses? Would love to have 4 glasses total.
Just type in Bing or Google shopping 3dc-1000 and samsung 3d starter kits. The kits will have varying model numbers but they are ssg-2100 glasses. The 3dc-1000 kit can be for for $300 or less and the samsung glasses kit will come with a movie for $200. Be careful of the glasses kits on eBay because people remove the movie to sell separately. If you don't need immediate gratification just spend time on the search engines and check out some electronics retailers' websites.

For about $500 you should be able to get the adapter and a total of 4 glasses. The adapter by itself is the 3da-1 and may be found on eBay since the update came out for the 738 and 838. Those people no longer need it. It is normally $100 by itself.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjroddy /forum/post/19538331

Depending on your definition of "just purchased" you may be able to get the kit for free from http://www.mitsubishi3dtv.net/

Wow Thanks. I just bought yesterday but called the number and I was super nice so they're hooking me up. Also. Will a regular HDMI cable work from my ps3 to my TV for 3d or do I need a super HDMI cable? Thanks again

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
You need a High Speed HDMI cable.

You do not need the adapter since with the recent upgrade the xx738 will Hae the adapter buil in and it will accept the HDMI 3D output directly from your PS3 source or from a cable or satllite 3D capable STB. You do need either DLP-Link glases I reccomend either the Xpand 102 or the Viewsonic DLP-Link glases, or you need an IR Emitter from Mitsubishi and compatible glases such as the new Xpand X103 glases which users have reported are better then the Mitsusbishi glases.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Couple issues with the previous post...

1. You do need a High Speed HDMI cable but the majority of cables sold are high speed. Don't spend more than $30 on a cable... the several hundred dollar Monster cables literally provide no benefit.

2. Your TV needs the adapter. Walford must not have read your initial post as he reference the incorrect model number.

3. Some people have been happy with the X103s, some have been indifferent. I own the Samsung glasses that come in the kit (the Mits and Samsung glasses are the same if you're confused) and they work great. I am however waiting until Samsung releases their new glasses before buying another 2 pair since these ones have minor reflection issues and could cover light from the sides better.

Overall, you'll be thrilled with the 3D on your DLP. I am anyways...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Also, some people recommend DLP Link glasses. I tried the Optomas and couldn't get them to work (although most users report having no issues with them).

I think you'll be happy with the glasses included in the kit. There should be an option on your TV to turn off the DLP Link functionality however - you should do this to improve picture quality when using emitter based glasses.

·
Registered
149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movieguru22 /forum/post/0

This is all becoming clearer now.

Will this cable work for me? Its what I have now.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...dmi-cables.htm

Also I ended up getting the starter kit for free from Mitsubishi
Someone else recommended these glasses, so I bought 2 pairs. Any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-D-GLASSES-Sams...item56410de4d1

Thanks again!

I bought "1.4" 6ft hdmi cables from eBay for $2 a piece. I also got an auto switch to feed my Xbox,ps3, and CPU through the adapter for $15. Everything works great. When I get on a computer I'll find the links to the similar items.

·
Registered
149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movieguru22 /forum/post/19545437

Id appreciate those links! Anyone else know if those cables and glasses are gonna work? thanks!

My dad and myself have both ordered cables from this ebay seller. When regularly priced their cables aren't expensive but usually they are running a discount. Like I said I got my cables for $2 a piece and they all work great.

http://stores.ebay.com/cablebuilders

I hope this works as a direct link to the cables. I searched their store for "1.4 hdmi". It's looks like a 6ft cable is going for $4 with free shipping. They have a bunch of different lengths available.

http://stores.ebay.com/cablebuilders..._sid=597550999

This is the same switch I have. It will accept 3 inputs. It is an autoswitcher so just turn your tv to the input the 3da-1 adapter is plugged into and then turn your on your source device. The remote is handy because sometimes if you don't turn things on in the right order the switch gets "confused" and you can just switch it manually from the remote. This seller has it for $11.70. I can only vouch for this particular switcher as it is what I have and I got it after I saw someone on youtube using it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HDMI-3x1-Port-Sw...item3cb2bb3e17

PS

I don't know if it still applies to your tv but for mine I had to plug my source directly to my tv to let them recognize each other as 3d devices and then plug into the switcher and go through the adapter.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is there a certain "source" or input that allows 3d? or how do you turn the 3d on and off with ps3 for instance? Anyone used this with directv? I have a hddvr, should it work with that? thanks!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movieguru22 /forum/post/0

Thanks for links. Can you explain about going into tv THEN into switcher. Dont really understand thanks

I just mean to plug the, for example, ps3 directly to the tv with the hdmi and turn them both on. After the initial hookup you can run the ps3 through the switch through the adapter. People have run into problems hooking everything up like it will be right off the bat. The solution was a direct connection first and then reconnecting the correct way. I may be making what I'm trying to say sound overly complicated.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movieguru22 /forum/post/19541283

Wow Thanks. I just bought yesterday but called the number and I was super nice so they're hooking me up. Also. Will a regular HDMI cable work from my ps3 to my TV for 3d or do I need a super HDMI cable? Thanks again

What did you say to get the free 3D kit? I just bought a Mitsu 60638 on Black Friday and would LOVE to get the starter kit gratis.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts