AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ventured into the surplus world again, and this time I got burned. (pun intented) Bought a 3400 hour Barco 808 on eBay with an intermittent green tube on eBay for $1325.00. Sounds good, right?

The intermittent green was a bad VPH-06 chip as expected. What was not expected was severely burnt blue and green tubes, and 4500 hours on the meter. Negative feedback time!

The next two are even better. Gov't surplus purchase of a 1208s and 1208. "The lenses are smashed, but new ones are in a box with the projectors"

Not quite true. The lenses were removed, and all 6 CRT's were smashed with a what looked like a hammer. No big deal with the 1208, I have spare MEC tubes. THe 1208s were Sony tubes.

By what was left of the phosphor, the tubes had no or minimal wear (sniff, sob!)

Curt

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I sympathize, Curt. And in person inspection doesn't guarantee success either. I once bought a Barco from Uncle Sam. It was close enough for me to inspect it before the auction. When I got to the warehouse they had it up on a shelf and upside down on the pallet. They would not let me even attempt to get it down to open it (and that was probably not possible to do anyway). My gambling spirit took over so I went ahead and bid and won the auction. When I retrieved it and got it on my truck I cracked it open to discover the modules had been removed.

Bob

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Curt

Deals like that make hard to make a decent living.

Better luck next time.

Deron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.