1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a happy day....

I just got off the phone with the Dell rep and got what I think is a good

deal on my new NEC MP2 50 inch plasma.

I also called and spoke to Philips re their warranty and was told I could wait to buy their extended warranty until closer to when the original NEC 1 year warranty expires. I had thought there was a shorter time period in which to buy one of these. Glad I was mistaken here.

I've got the whole family room in shambles with wires and cables everywhere (which the wife keeps reminding me of) so I can set this thing up when it gets here the week of June 17.

Yippee Yi Yo :eek:

Pat

·
Registered
784 Posts
Congrats....

I too am interested in this panel....

How much was it with Dell ?...

I may just have to give them a call, and join you in being happy ;)

Shelly

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shelly...

Dell has it for like 9600 on their website and yesterday I spoke with a guy who said he would match any internet site for the lowest price and I sent him the one I was looking at and he matched it. The other website had a lot more cost for shipping.

The Plasma was $8,299 (no tax) and the shipping was $90. I haven't found anything within about 140 dollars of that. Had it been say only a $30 difference, I would have gone to another internet seller, but this was the best deal I could find.

Pat

Feel free to email me for more info.
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Congrats on your new plasma. Since we don't get to many reveiws on this model, we'll be looking forward to your reveiw.

Dave

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave....

Will do!! By the way, since we live "relatively" close, who did you have do your ISF calibration? I'll be in the market in the next few weeks. Any recommendations are very much appreciated.

Pat

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Congrats!

As a matter of interest do you mind posting what your decision making process was and what other panels you considered?

Also do a search for the users ghibliss and gary merson for ISF stuff. There are already a lot of good posts on this and these two have contributed to those posts.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
FlyboyAA,

You have PM.

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought one about 6 months ago for $8500. Love it, no problems, apart from the moron delivery woman that dropped it faced forward off the dolly. Very easy to get running, it has one flashing green pixel, and 1 dead pixel. Not worried about this, from what I read this is normal- just keep tabs on it.

Very quiet, after initial fan roaring for about 5 seconds.

I am by no means a guru and cannot argue the pros and cons of plasma vs normal HDTV, nor slight variations in color saturations etc, but this screen to my eyes, is awesome. Colors are impressive, never get a perfect black due to the inherent background light of the screen, but I don't even notice it anymore.

I was paranoid about burn-in, now I am just overly careful- have the contrast and brightness turned down and always watch stuff in full screen. Even amorphic films which do not fill the whole screen (which amazes the heck out of me- what was the point in 16:9 screens if the DVDs still don't fit!), I zoom to fill the screen. As I mentioned, I am not a perfectionist, so I don't mind losing the ends to protect the screen. Also always watch reg TV in widescreen and if there is a big fat non see through logo in the corner, I put the screen wipe on. Most of this is probably not necessary, but I also do not have any burn in problems what-so-ever.

Picked the NEC after reading tons of reviews- pehaps nothing in it, but the vendor I bought this from had better customer service with NEC.

Now if only the Phillips 963 DVD player would hurry up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.