AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i finally pulled the trigger and decided to buy the onkyo refurb from J and R. Luckily it is a cosmetic refurb with one little scratch underneath the face of the receiver, Only noticeble from the bottom of the receiver. Now my problem is with the volume. The sounds comming from the receiver are very faint from about level 1-50, but from 60 and beyond the volume increases greatly. What can i do to get the volume evenly distributed through it's spectrum?

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I saw a 602 setup at CC playing at about 60. It sounded very close to the level I would listen at home. There was a 503 next to it playing at 45 just as loud. I have no idea why. My 520 plays loud above 40. I suppose it could be calibration, your speaker sensitivity, your wire, etc.

It could just be your receiver. Does it top out at 79 or 99?

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I don't think you should worry about the displayed volume level too much. I've tried various receivers and they are all different. As long as the sound is clean at the level you have it set, you are fine. I switched mine to display decibel instead of volume. Each 10db is supposed to be twice as loud and I've found that to be pretty accurate (this is on TX-SR702)

If the sound is not clean or you cannot get it loud enough, then that is something to be concerned about.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, Ron Temple, it tops out at about 82.

My Speakers are rated at 88db sensitivity and are 8 ohms. Yes i use monster cable xp.

The sound is VERY clean at max volume but my old 2 channel receiver was a tad bit louder, with very unclean volume, i guess that is the trade off.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
My Oink tops at 79. Depending on the source, I get listenable volume starting ~ 20, impressive at 35, loud > 40. If the 602 goes to 99, then 50-55% of gain is about right, I would think.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocer
Hey guys, i finally pulled the trigger and decided to buy the onkyo refurb from J and R. Luckily it is a cosmetic refurb with one little scratch underneath the face of the receiver, Only noticeble from the bottom of the receiver. Now my problem is with the volume. The sounds comming from the receiver are very faint from about level 1-50, but from 60 and beyond the volume increases greatly. What can i do to get the volume evenly distributed through it's spectrum?
Also a quick tip. I was fusterated with this issue.

My sub did not sound like it was bass'ing enough and thought it was my sub issue. So I took my VEL to my 503 and it was great.

So back to the 603... I went into menu setup and TURN-OFF the equalizer. BOY what a huge difference is SUB-sonic sound. My VEL sub is happy once again and my walls are crying. ;)

As for my volume level is max's out the 99. I can't get over 75-80 w/o is screaming to damn loud. Great listening area is 57-65

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
...Also in Stereo mode... and if you want your SUB to work,, make sure your front L/R speakers are set to small. If not, the sub will not play. keep in mind this is in Stereo mode.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well today i had the first oppurtunity to crank the volume to max. Boy, i never realized how much 85 watts was until today...this thing gets hella loud with my primus 150's. I maxed out at around 95 on the volume meter playing a song Kernel Streamed from my Chaintech AV710's higher quality (rear surrounds) 24 bit dac (computer sound card if you dont know). My primus 150's showed no signs of strain and my DPS-10 thumped along effortlessly to create what sounded like a damn club in my room. I am Very Very pleased with this purchase. The volume really starts to kick in around 50 on my 602.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Don't clip it an blow your tweets :)

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
muahahahaha :D I only left it on max for about 5-10 seconds, I assume its horrible for a receiver to be @ full blast.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I read a couple of weeks ago, someone figured since his speaks were rated up to 150w, that he could crank his new 120w Pio 1015 full gain without a problem. I don't think he had it up more than 30 seconds. Receiver clipped, tweets fried.

Just be careful. :p

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Many times the fuse will blow before the speakers, but both are possible. Clean power is one thing to consider, the other is the "peaks" are sometimes more than you are expecting. No reason to push stuff to the point you lose hearing.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gee golly, the same rings true for just about any mechanical device, you push it to its limits and it is eventually bound to fail. Let me have my fun in peace :D Im a broke (aka poor) college student who knows the value of money...Not going to fry my own speakers i worked so hard for :D I didnt even turn up the volume past 80 (MY ear's Max), my ears began ringing at this point and it was a scary thought to think of how much louder it can really get...

I had two Technics 4-way towers hooked up 93db efficiency with 8ohm rating (fronts). Each with 1 12" driver, 1 5 1/4" midrange, another driver approximately 3", and a tweater. Primus 150 rears. Sub crossed at 100hz.

Just a bit of advice...for people looking to buy a receiver that has plenty of power, the Tx Sr 602 will not disappoint...do not let its 85wpc fool you! I moved it downstairs to my living room which measures a 20'x25' with about 10' high ceilings. This receiver had no problems filling it with good unstrained sound.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.