Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:

I usually don't do this but my local dealr had a sale going yesterday and i picked up the 7000 for $849 when he was asking 1200 last fall.

I really need to get my home movies off of vcr tape and stored on DVD.

I have 30 days to return it.

Did I mess up by buying the Pioneer instead of a Phillips or Panasonic?

Where do I get the DVD-R and -RW discs. I went to Best Buy and came out with +RW and +R discs. I'm just shaking my head.

Should I take it back?

Help needed in Ohio.

Mike

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Just my opinion:

You have bought yourself a very solid unit (literally) that has an excellent performance record. If your main purpose is to move tape material to DVD, this unit will do the job.

The Panasonic (DMR-HS2) would give you more flexibility since it has a HDD. You would be able to pre-master material and perform editing functions prior to burning to DVD-R. You would also pick up a more flexible rewritable format in DVD-RAM which would allow time slip functions as well as the ability to reclaim disc space for erased segments/sections.

These things may not be important to your application, but it does allow you to expand the role the unit to take over many of the functions that your VCR is likely doing now.

Thank your lucky stars you didn't get the Philips.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Its the Best DVD Recorder currently available and has features NO other has. Its got the best mpeg encoder, c-cube, and digital noise reduction FOR recording, not just playback. Extremely flexible VBR recording modes (32) for -rw. It'll also record in PCM and not just DD 2.0. The down sides? Only two CBR modes for -R recording. Pretty stiff learning curve for editing -rw. Its also not the best progressive scan player and has the chroma bug. I use it strictly for -rw recording.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys thanks for the input.

mrwilson: can you do your recording and editing on a rw disc.........then download the edited recording to a Sony digital camera.............then finalize the recording on a dvd-r for keeps?

I will be mostly bulk recording form old vcr home movies to hopefully dvd-r with no editing. However, I want to remove snippets and place them into a showcase for my sons graduation.

Does this sound plausible?

Also, what are the downsides to the panasonic hs2?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Quote:
mrwilson: can you do your recording and editing on a rw disc.........then download the edited recording to a Sony digital camera.............then finalize the recording on a dvd-r for keeps?
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. You mean dub it back to dvd-r from the camcorder? You could, sure. Or if you have a dvd player that will play -rw discs, panasonics (some), you could dub from that.

The only downside to the Panasonics is the chroma bug. They add setup (7.5 ire), which is ok, but they flag it wrong so players add it again. This makes blacks very bright and almost a dark grey instead. This is fixed on their new players, E50 and above.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I meant something like this:

1. Since DVD-RW is more flexible for editing. I'd first do my cut and splice from different tapes recorded and edited on -RW.

2. I'd then record the final product from the editdc -RW to my Sony Digital camera.

3. Once this is done - I'd put a -r DVD into the 7000 and record form the Sony digital camera to the -R media.

Is this a stupid idea?

Mike

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mr Wilson,

Are you sure the 7000 can output to the dv cam via firewire?

Quote:
2. I'd then record the final product from the editdc -RW to my Sony Digital camera.
The HS2 certainly cannot do this.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeff:

I haven't tried it yet, but accordingto the manual, the firewire is an input/output jack.

Did you cpmaore the HS2 to the Pioneer?

Mike

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jeff:

I haven't tried it yet, but according to the manual, the firewire is an input/output jack.

Did you compare the HS2 to the Pioneer?

Mike

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Yes Pioneer will output any not copy protected DVD or DVD-R thru its firewire. Output format is DV, so it works perfect for dubbing to MiniDV camcorder.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeRP
Is my Sony Digital 8 camera DV or mpeg?
D8 uses DV format.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.