AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by my local HT hang out, and the owner was really excited about the new H56 which he had a demo of. I actually went in looking for new speakers, but ended up purchasing the H56.

AMAZING projector. I won't actually get mine until Friday, because it had to be flown in from the "left coast" Once I get it set-up, I'll post my thoughts.

Really excited..........

- Mike

·
Registered
425 Posts
I supply the NEC HT1000 and the Optoma H56.

They are both very good units and produce high quality images.

At the end of the day it's down to personal preferences of throw ratios, style, noise levels, picture adjustments etc.

Black levels, brightness and color reproduction on both are very good.

The NEC has more picture adjustment, eco mode and iris control so would suit someone who likes to tweak their projector whilst the Optoma would suit some who just wants to fit and forget.

·
Premium Member
25,550 Posts
Does anyone know if the H56 has horizontal squeeze function for use when watching 4:3 material with an anamorphic lens?

I believe it uses the Silicon Image chip, which has this capability, but was not enabled in the the H55. TzungILin from Optoma said they would implement in the next model.

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
nibeck,

Well, Friday has come and gone and you haven't let us know how you like your H56, yet. You must be enjoying it too much! The H56 is right at the top of my list of projectors to replace my AE100. Everything looks right for my set-up--the throw, contrast, and lumens are exactly what I'm looking for (I would have liked to have had the option to buy the HT1000, but NEC doesn't even sell it here in Japan (What were they thinking?!)). There's not much information to be had about the H56 in Japan, unfortunately. I have been able to come up with the throw ratios, but not the offset. So, if you could let me know:

1) What is the offset for a 120" 16:9 screen?

2) When you choose the 16:9 screen mode, does the image get projected in what would have been the middle of the 4:3 screen, or can you move it as you can with the HT1000?

I have the pdf file of the manual, but it doesn't go into much depth (nothing mentioned about offset at all). I'll be ceiling mounting the unit and if the offset is too great, my speakers are going to block portions of the screen.

By the way, FWIW the H56 sells for a hair under $3000 here--but only with a 1 year warranty.

Thank you much.

Mike

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Mike,

Have you looked into the Mitusbishi LVP-1208 at all? I'm curious about the throw, since the small lens makes it look like it would be a long throw, but I haven't been able to find out much information about it. I'm thinking it might be a good fit for a friend of mine. This is the one that is 1024x576, 550 lumens, 2000:1 CR, and 5x wheel. That price for the H56 looks pretty good. I think it is about the same as the LVP-1208 over there.

Thanks,

Darin

·
Registered
13 Posts
Darin,

Yes, I did look at the LVP-1208 (the specs, at least). The light output held me back though, so I didn't check out the throw. It appears that if you select 16:9 mode on the H56, it fills a 16:9 screen and uses 1024X576 of the panel. I don't know, however, if this results in a decrease in lumens (as would happen if you projected black bars with a normal 4:3 projector). My guess is that since the entire screen is filled with an image (rather than black bars), that it uses the entire 1000 lumens, which is significantly more that the LVP-1208. My theater is completely light controlled, but I'm tired of cleaning up spilt beer, so I'd like to have a bit of ambient light in the room!

Thanks for the input.

Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did pick up the projector on Friday, but have gotten swamped with some family obligations, so I haven't spent too much time with it.

Same initial comments/thoughts:

- Basic packaging, comes with complete cable kit (composite, S and a handy little Component->DB converter), remote batteries, Software CD that has all of the users manuals on it.

- Room set-up. 100" 16x9 screen. Dedicatd room, no light issues. Set projector around 16' back.

- Out of the box, I used the S connection for a quick test. No tuning/tweeking of settings.

- Brightness and contrast were probably the first things I noticed. Very "Solid" and "substantial" images. Not at all washed out or fuzzy. Still maintained a warm feeling though, not harsh.

- Black levels are probaby the best I have ever seen on a DLP.

- Color reproduction looks very good.

I have really only had about 30-40 minutes to play so far, so I haven't gottten much done with it.

I will be ceiling mounting it, so I have starting working on a mounting platofrm (I refuse to pay that much for a commerical bracket ;-)

I am coming from a Sony w400Q LCD, which I really liked, but the H56 is MUCH nicer. Simply a more refined image.

I will try and post some pictures today.

Anyone know someone looking to buy a used w400q ;-)

- Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hage Oyaji
Yes, I did look at the LVP-1208 (the specs, at least). The light output held me back though, so I didn't check out the throw. It appears that if you select 16:9 mode on the H56, it fills a 16:9 screen and uses 1024X576 of the panel. I don't know, however, if this results in a decrease in lumens (as would happen if you projected black bars with a normal 4:3 projector). My guess is that since the entire screen is filled with an image (rather than black bars), that it uses the entire 1000 lumens, which is significantly more that the LVP-1208.
Mike,

If it is doing 1000 lumens for 4x3, then it will be 750 lumens for 16x9 material, since 1/4 or the mirrors are in the "off" state. If you want to use all the pixels then you can use an anamorphic lens. Someone measured with the HT1000 and the special liquidless lens for that and got 14% brighter. So, if the specs were right, that would put things at 855 lumens. Depending on how close you sit it can also make your image smoother. I assume that the H56 has aspect ratio control to support the anamorphic lenses, but I don't know for sure.

If you want to be able to get brighter images at times or watch football with some lights on then you might want to consider a screen like the Hi-Power (I've heard they have similar materials in Japan). The Firehawk can help too, but it is more money. I think even two screens for different situations can make sense for some people. I have a pull-down grey screen and a pull-down Hi-Power in my theater room.

Have fun,

Darin

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've tried the H56 and there isn't any option that would allow the anamorphic lens to be permanently mounted and do 4:3.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Darin,

Thanks for the information. While it would be nice to have 1000 lumens at 16:9, 750 is still probably plenty for my set-up. I have an electric pull-down 4:3 screen, so I can still use the entire 4:3 panel when watching sporting events and my kid's cartoons--both situations that I would like to have ambient light. When I watch movies, I'll be using the 16:9 mode with little or no ambient light, so 750 lumens should be plenty.

I would still appreciate information about the offset for a 120" screen and whether the 16:9 image is projected in the middle of the screen or if it can be moved. nibeck sounds like he is enjoying his new puchase (don't you love the smell of a new electronics as you unpack them!), maybe RTFM could shed some light for me.

Thank you much.

Mike

·
Registered
367 Posts
Dear Noah,

Thanks for continuing pushing for better things to happen, but unfortunately I have to report that there is no anamorphic mode for 4x3. But there is a mode to support anamorphic lens for 16x9 source. So you can fill 16x9 materials with 1024x768, then anamorphic it to 16x9 ratio.

However, here are some nice features that I put in:

1. "Film" and "Auto" mode for de-interlacing. With Film mode, you can enforce DVDO 504 to de-interlace with reversed 3-2 always. Any film-source properly mastered DVD will benefit from this. "Auto" mode is the normal DVDO setting, auto detecing the source. You can see the difference on the dts DVD with Moulin Rouge section.

2. Native mode for 1080i and 720p. When receiving 1080i, instead of scaled to 1024x576, we simply treat it like 540p, so no scaling is used in its 960x540 presentation, the image is cleaner. Same with 720p, we avoid scaling, just use "overscan on the side" to cut off 256 pixels on the sides, and show the original info without scaling.

3. DVD and HDTV sources are default to different degamma, DVD is more film presentation, where HDTV is higher contrast degamma. But user still has access to degamma modes to change to his preference.

4. RGB gain/bias is now in the OSD for the tweakers.

5. We design two special zoom steps, when watching 2.35x1 movie (whether 16x9 enhanced or not), one can choose to watch it in 2.0x1 or 1.78x1 ratio, so that when you hate the black bars on top/bottom of a 2.35x1 movie, you can zoom one step to get 2.0x1 or two steps to fill the 16x9 screen. It's pretty useful, since most directors do not put useful information on the side. The scaling is pretty good, one seldom feels the image is being scaled.

6. In addition to four degamma modes, we also have 5 step gamma compensation for the dark scenes. degamma defines the overall image, and this 5 step gamma help you to get finer enhancement when watching dark movies, like U571, Haunting, and so on. We intentionally make the step very fine, so all steps are useful.

·
Premium Member
25,550 Posts
TzungILin,

Thanks for the info, those are some very nice features. I especially like the 2:1 AR choice and the flexible gamma adjustments.

"But there is a mode to support anamorphic lens for 16x9 source."

Is this the same as converting letterbox to anamorphic?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I use a Panamorph with my H55 with no problems. I thought the H56 had simialr AR control. It depends on what 4:3 sources you want to watch. VHS, game consoles there is no way to do it except for HTPC. Normal DirecTv channels have grey bars added to the sides by my Panny HDTV receiver and are correctly displayed. Of course, HDTV and DVD are displayed correctly. The Panamorph makes a huge difference on a 1024 X 768 pj IMO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nibeck
Stopped by my local HT hang out, and the owner was really excited about the new H56 which he had a demo of. I actually went in looking for new speakers, but ended up purchasing the H56.

AMAZING projector. I won't actually get mine until Friday, because it had to be flown in from the "left coast" Once I get it set-up, I'll post my thoughts.

Really excited..........

- Mike

how much did you bought h56? Mind to tell.....It will help me a lot to decide my budget plan^^

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.