AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered online the P42G25 plasma.

I got it for gaming and movies pretty much, and some sports, but that is about to end after football season for a little bit.

I have a LG 42LH30 LCD tv (60hz) and I can't stand playing games on it sometimes.

Certain games are fine, but first person shooters can really hurt your eyes when you turn and stuff. Any time the camera pans in the games, it is not smooth at all.

So I purchased the plasma to help with the gaming and stuff. Also, the LG's blacks aren't too great, and the 50,000:1 contrast ratio has got to mean something compared to 5,000,000:1.

Anyone out there with experience of playing games on a LCD tv AND a plasma??

Am I going to be satisfied?

I've played LCD tvs of 120hz, but I found that while the game was smooth, there was a lag in response time of hitting the button and it actually showing on the screen.

I hope this makes me happy lol.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Your going to be thrilled.

I game on an Panasonic S1, and its perfect. Ive played ps3 on a cheaper sharp lcd i have, 60hz 720p and it looks terrible. The motion is terrible, the blacks are horrible.

With the G series, your going to enjoy good blacks and rich colors, a contrast ratio that produces great depth in the video games picture, and perfect motion resolution.

The game mode has some of the best response times in the industry as well.

You should have every visual tactical advantage in Black Ops, so no excuses!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now I Gotta come up with a new excuse.

My ps3 broke last week on black ops. Game froze and bluray drive went out. Ordered a lens for $50 in hope of saving me time and money if I went with Sony.

Thanks man. I can't wait till the weekend - well, except for so many people saying to run slides for the first 100 hours. That worries me.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders4617 /forum/post/19645041

Now I Gotta come up with a new excuse.

My ps3 broke last week on black ops. Game froze and bluray drive went out. Ordered a lens for $50 in hope of saving me time and money if I went with Sony.

Thanks man. I can't wait till the weekend - well, except for so many people saying to run slides for the first 100 hours. That worries me.

Well...you CAN run slides...but I never have. This is my third panasonic plasma set, and none of them ever got burn in from gaming.

I was pretty sure that the slides are used to age the phosphors so you can quickly plug in provided calibration settings and see the same results the creator did, I don't think they are to prevent future burn in.

I don't think panasonic recommends a break in anymore, but you could always leave the settings way down for 100 hours. My older 60u's manual stakes a 100 hour break in procedure, but my S1's manual does not, and I heard the procedure is no longer necessary and thus abandoned. Couldn't hurt to be careful though.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k /forum/post/19645068

I was pretty sure that the slides are used to age the phosphors so you can quickly plug in provided calibration settings and see the same results the creator did, I don't think they are to prevent future burn in.

The slides are also helpful to age the panel evenly during the first 100-200 hours that it takes to ultimately stabilize the panel before starting to "abuse" it with gaming. It's not just to prepare it for calibration.

Quote:
I don't think panasonic recommends a break in anymore, but you could always leave the settings way down for 100 hours.

Panasonic never recommended break in AFAIK.

Quote:
My older 60u's manual stakes a 100 hour break in procedure, but my S1's manual does not, and I heard the procedure is no longer necessary and thus abandoned.

Actually i'm virtually positive that there is nothing in any Panasonic manual stating anything about break in or going easy on it for 100 hours or anything like it. I have read several Panasonic manuals in their entirety and don't recall any mention of this stuff whatsoever. Look again

Quote:
Couldn't hurt to be careful though.

Agreed. If i were planning to game heavily on a new Plasma, i'd at least hold off on the long gaming sessions until i've watched maybe 200-300 hours of full screen programming or run slideshows of Hi Def pictures or break in slides etc, and keep any gaming during this initial period to a minimum. While it's rare, there are some reports of very persistent IR from light colored HUDs and Logos that was still visible on the screen after several hours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.